Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Naan

Your favorite levels !

Hello,

Well, it's yet another "list your favorites" thread, but I didn't find one that's matching mine.

I've gone through many "my favorite" threads with people showing the WADs they liked the most, but in case of a megawad, I think there are subpar, filler maps and top-of-the-cream maps, and this isn't really well expressed.

So I'm looking for your favorite single levels, be them part of a megawad or not.

Go ahead !

Requiem map23, HR map25, AV map31, DVII map 21, Scythe map26, Scythe2 map23, Dolphin's Dream, Plutonia map32, Ksutra map25...

All the early maps from Eternal Doom III. The first several maps are epic, then severely drop in quality shortly after.

Ultimate Simplicity.... the boss fight map. (Although the whole wad is great.) I can't remember which map it was specifically but that boss fight was epic. :-)

I gave a list here. That was some years back, so a new list would include some maps from things like Kama Sutra, but maybe it is still useful.

DV II: Entryway Pass - Mutagen - Crouching Demon, Hidden ArchVile - Stargate (cant remember the map numbers)

AV: Rusty Rage

There's a level in Hell to Pay that used a really tall crusher to crush barrels near a voodoo doll, to emphasize a time limit before the building self destructed. It also had working computer screens that showed the time limits using lower unpegged textures. It was certainly a taste of vanilla mapping genius. I can't remember the number of the map, the maps in Hell to Pay don't have names, but have brief storylines that explain the intermission between them.

EDIT: I found the map, it's MAP32.

JohnnyRancid said:

All the early maps from Eternal Doom III. The first several maps are epic, then severely drop in quality shortly after.

I agree with you (maps 02 to 04 are really epic), but some of the later maps (map22 being Eternal epicness on its top) are also worth it.

Some favorites I have in mind :

TNT.wad map04 (never saw an equivalent to this one)
Eternal Doom maps 12 and 22 (I can't get bored of map 22, perfect fight scaling, maybe my all time fav map, and a model if I ever try myself into mapping)
Requiem maps 13 and 28 (I'm gonna love this 'city' kind of maps)

@K!r4 : You've picked up really near-impossible-to-complete maps ugh.

Death-Destiny said:

CC2 Map24, "The Mucus Flow." That map is just incredible.

Agreed.

I find it interesting that unusual works such as this are very often praised as incredible and appreciated in the community, yet almost all mappers stick to their more traditional mapping styles.

I do praise that heavily original stuff, but I lack an ability to generate very original stuff without being a complete poser. I would assume other people may be the same.

JohnnyRancid said:

I do praise that heavily original stuff, but I lack an ability to generate very original stuff without being a complete poser. I would assume other people may be the same.

Yeah, true. B.P.R.D had impressive capabilities in graphics editing and imagination that certainly aren't common.

I found B.P.R.D.'s CC2 map kinda frustrating to play, each time you run out of ammo you have to go back pick up some at the beginning of the level then come back to the action...

Outside of that his map is really, really impressive...

K!r4 said:

DVII map 22

Fixed, map21 is still awesome.

@Inferno : it's maps 26 and 27 (if you don't count the little box hehe).

Scythe 2 maps 24 and 25 immediately come to mind. Also, ZPack's E3M7 (Blackrock, by Vader).

Equinox by B.P.R.D. Just a really good wad for doom, it gives it that arcade feeling. It's one of my most played.

KDiZD. This was just epic. It was just amazing.

TUTNT. Another really good GzDoom wad.

Alien Vendetta. I never played this until a while ago, but this is a really nice megawad.

Everything from Equinox is just incredible, and that may be my favorite WAD. However, if I had to choose one map I'd do MAP27 of Scythe II. That map is truly epic on all counts, and it uses those Afrits which are really cool.

Aabra said:

Ultimate Simplicity.... the boss fight map. (Although the whole wad is great.) I can't remember which map it was specifically but that boss fight was epic. :-)

HELL yes! I actually went back and played the first episode all the way through a couple days ago. It was fucking fantastic. I really wish he had finished the whole thing :(

I think I'll have to say Vindication from Darkening E2. Probably the map I've come back to play the most times. (partly also because of the awesome music in it)

some favorites from a small few of my favorite maps

Eternal Doom - maps 12, 26
Alien Vendetta - maps 10, 25, 31
Memento Mori 2- maps 4, 9, 27, 28
Requiem - maps 8, 13, 21, 24