Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
busta5000

What is the best doom engine? (& why)

well I want to know what is the best doom engine in your opinion choose one of the following plus saying why did you chose it or why you think it is the best.

@ ZDOOM

@ GZDOOM

@ SkullTag

@ DoomLegacy

@ DoomsDay

Why limited choices ?
Anyway the "best sourceport of the 1337 dead" is totally subjective...
Sourceports are all good for what they are running well and what players like or need...

K!r4 said:

Why limited choices ?
Anyway the "best sourceport of the 1337 dead" is totally subjective...
Sourceports are all good for what they are running well and what players like or need...

I know but all are diffrent some like engines with no shadows & lightings & some are the oposite. some like to put the wad over the application & some want to double click & some want to chooser it from the application.
I use all of them but my favorite is skulltag because it has shadows & lights & opens the wad when double clicked.

p.s. there are lots of choices what did you mean by not many choices!!! & please vote & say why you voted for that engine.

K!r4 said:

Because there aren't A LOT of engines !

Is this a tricky question lol!!!

K!r4 said:

Because there aren't A LOT of engines !

what are the applications ifront of you aren't they engines lol. well they are go to wiki & learn about doom engines.

You've a big problem of comprehension : I dont mean that there aren't engines but that there are a lot of missing engines, clear ?

List of engines : easy to see what is missing isn't it ?

Yeah....you kind of missed a lot of ports there, as well as missing a lot of info about what makes the ports actually different from each other, besides "ooh pretty shadow effects". Also the fact that the first three out of the five you listed are ZDoom.

busta5000 said:

@ ZDOOM (note: good with decorate but has no shadow & light effects & you can drop PWADs on it)

@ GZDOOM (note: good with decorate has shadow & light effects & you can drop PWADs on it)

@ SkullTag (note: good with decorate has shadow effect & you it gives icons to the wads plus you can play the wad when double click)

@ DoomLegacy (note: same as ZDOOM)

@ DoomsDay (note: good with decorate has shadow effect & you can play it when you run the application & choose your wad in doom2 tab or any other tabs)

ZDoom, because:
- It's the one that started it all...
- I can't stand the 3d rendering of GZDoom
- SkullTag is primarily for multiplayer and is made after ZDoom
- Doom Legacy doesn't have DECORATE (and you said it's "same as ZDOOM"; well it's not even DERIVED from ZDoom)
- Doomsday runs better as JHeretic, than as JDoom, because as JDoom, it:
---- makes all revenant fireballs home on (is this fixed now?)
---- is meant for full 3d, whereas Doom has no z-clipping and its solid decorations are practically transparent to missiles =>> WHICH IS NOT A PROBLEM FOR HERETIC OR HEXEN OR EVEN STRIFE
---- the enhanced textures and models are more complicated than Heretic's, making my computer run slower. JHeretic looks wonderful, though.

No need for the port maintainer that lurks this site to explain me about Doomsday, I understand, it's only my tastes whose fault is.

Disclaimer: in no way am I trying to sway people from using various ports. It's advisable for anyone to try each port, then convince themselves whether they like it or not. Downloading a port and playing it costs minimal time and no money, so there's no problem trying each of them. With this post I only expressed my opinions, obviously different from other members' of this forum.

printz said:

ZDoom, because:
- It's the one that started it all...
- I can't stand the 3d rendering of GZDoom
- SkullTag is primarily for multiplayer and is made after ZDoom
- Doom Legacy doesn't have DECORATE (and you said it's "same as ZDOOM"; well it's not even DERIVED from ZDoom)
- Doomsday runs better as JHeretic, than as JDoom, because as JDoom, it:
---- is meant for full 3d, whereas Doom has no z-clipping and its solid decorations are practically transparent to missiles =>> WHICH IS NOT A PROBLEM FOR HERETIC OR HEXEN OR EVEN STRIFE
---- the enhanced textures and models are more complicated than Heretic's, making my computer run slower. JHeretic looks wonderful, though.

No need for the port maintainer that lurks this site to explain me about Doomsday, I understand, it's only my tastes whose fault is.

Disclaimer: in no way am I trying to sway people from using various ports. It's advisable for anyone to try each port, then convince themselves whether they like it or not. Downloading a port and playing it costs minimal time and no money, so there's no problem trying each of them. With this post I only expressed my opinions, obviously different from other members' of this forum.

well sorry if I said legacy same as zdoom I only meant that it is pretty basic it has no shadow nor light effects.
& I also hate the 3d rendering in GZDOOM. but I love skulltag because it is simply like zdoom but it has shadow & light effects you can play single or multiplayer.

ZDoom is "the one that started it all..." ? Heh lol.
And essel means that ZDoom, GZDoom and Skulltag (which are sourceports) are all ZDoom (the engine).

Wanna bet this ends up yellow and orange? ;)

That said, I'm logically using GZDoom for anything that works with it. As for other engines, I tend to avoid Legacy like the plague (thanks to some shitty libraries it uses it tends to screw up my system config.) and since there are hardly any maps for the other ports (EDGE, Eternity, Vavoom and Doomsday) they get started maybe once or twice a year.

Graf Zahl said:

That said, I'm logically using GZDoom for anything that works with it.

Lol, well GZDoom stands for Graf Zahl Doom (which is more fun than standing for GL ZDoom or Graf ZDoom), it's indeed logical for you to use it. :P A user even pasted your initials in his name, heh.

Do I hear right that GZDoom incorporates some (but not all) of the powers of the Eternity engine? That makes it rather powerful.

Again, my words in my post above there are highly subjective, so: I'd only run GZDoom with the monster models and high-quality textures, because I can't stand the blurred pixelation (why do 3d hardware engines fear pixelation so much that they blur it?) and the sprites' cardboard rendering. They also look bad if they're always aligned to player's view and seen from above.

The 3d engine also darkens the environment, though I'm sure that's fixable, and that it's also hardware's fault.

I don't want this thread to be helled, that's why all these disclaimers.

printz said:

Thanks; what for exactly?

Your post was my fav of the day.

Anyway, to answer to the thread (and ignoring this limited choice), my fav are both Prboom+ and GZDoom : they permit great things in there own ways.

There is no "best" port, there never will be, but if I wanted to be picky I guess the best DOOM ENGINE would be the one in Chocolate doom because it is as close to vanilla as we can get (so far)

printz said:

Doomsday runs better as JHeretic, than as JDoom, because as JDoom, it:

First I've heard about that revenant fireball issue. We have a bug tracker for a reason. Things won't get fixed unless they are reported as unfortunately, I don't get to play much these days. As for your second point; I'm not sure what you mean, please elaborate (or better yet, post a bug report).

revenant fireballs are ALWAYS to home in on its target. the problem is, due to a typo in the code, the homing aspect isn't set all the time. it's a timing issue. so, it's a vanilla bug, and doomsday has the problem "fixed".

ZDoom, because I guess you can play 90 percent of the single player wads out there with ZDoom... and it looks like the old Doom with high resolution, but without the 3d rendering. I just like it!

Csonicgo said:

and doomsday has the problem "fixed".

Nevertheless, this is the type of 'fix' you don't do! (Comparable to Legacy's removal of voodoo dolls.)

Csonicgo said:

revenant fireballs are ALWAYS to home in on its target. the problem is, due to a typo in the code, the homing aspect isn't set all the time. it's a timing issue. so, it's a vanilla bug, and doomsday has the problem "fixed".

Really? You mean the fireballs were always meant to home but an id typo made them randomly homing/not homing missiles? If that's the case then, IMO, that was a lucky typo. One of the things I like about the revenant is that you never know if he is going to launch a homing or a non-homing missile.

To understand the revenant issue, you just have to look at the code for the A_Tracer function used by its missiles. At the beginning, you have this (taken from ZDoom's sourcecode, not Doom's original sourcecode:

if (level.time & 3)
		return;
The & is a bitwise AND so the instruction basically says that if either of the last two bits of the time variable are 1, then return. This happens thrice every four tics:
etc.

Which means that the rest of the function (which spawns the smoke and makes the missile seek its target) is run only when the tic's number is a multiple of 4.

Now, the missile calls this function every two tics.

Therefore, if the revenant's missile was spawned during an even tic, it'll be a smoking seeker missile; while if it was spawned during an odd tic, it'll be a dumb and clean missile.

I've just checked the source and there is nothing wrong with jDoom's version of A_Tracer. So either you are mistaken or something else caused the problem. Are you not thinking of the old DOOM savegame issue where homing missiles lost their targets after loading?

Gez said:

Therefore, if the revenant's missile was spawned during an even tic, it'll be a smoking seeker missile; while if it was spawned during an odd tic, it'll be a dumb and clean missile.

I checked this webpage to see that the revenant missile has a RANDOMIZE flag, so even though all of the revenant monster's states are of even duration, the missile's homing property will still be unpredictable.

Doesn't the ramdomize flag just make the damage done by the missile a little random (i.e rather than a preset) in ZDoom though.

Hence it wouldn't affect wheter the missile homes or not (which is controlled by A_Skelmissile and A_Tracer).