Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gggmork

made a zdoom level

(zdoom only probably (doombuilder's zdoom doom in hexen format))

It has unique gameplay I guess. Still I don't really like it (getting max kills or speedrunning would just be annoying). Probably save it before each warp because restarting would be irritating. (yeah the textures are minimal/lazy/suck (but does unintentionally make cool moire patterns)).

http://www.sendspace.com/file/uat43t

lol this level really sucks. If you don't infight right you're screwed probably.

I really appreciate the confidence you show in your own creation. It gives the player confidence in its quality as well.

Incredible! Fantastic! Simply Amazing!

gggmork, I absolutely love this map. Just look at all the cool things you get to do: Tysoning Cybs, chainsawwing Arch-viles, getting teleported into the midst of 132 Cybs and 500 Arachnotrons/Cacodemons with naught but a shotgun and 32 shells to figure something out with. I think that's the most fun I've had playing Doom in recent weeks. =D

Quite the contrary, this map was a blast to speedrun. Here's my UVMax run, pretty decent at 19:09, though I missed a Caco and had to hunt it down: http://files.filefront.com/DDWTF1lmp/;10497487;/fileinfo.html, recorded with Zdoom V2.2 (obviously)

Max kills on this map is 794/796, or 99%. There were a couple of revenants whose teleport floors were supposed to instantly lower with a "Floor raise to nearest floor" trigger. However, the two sectors were side-by-side and so were the nearest floors to each other and didn't need to move to fulfill the triggers conditions.
Therefore, the last two revenants didn't get to join the fight (not that they'd want to since they'd get pwned if they did >=D)

Why do you not like your map?... I really liked it (this is my favorite of all your maps.) I'd like to see a map of yours that you are proud of. =O

Nice demo. I figured there probably was a strategy for that last room aside from "iddqd" but I didn't spend the time finding it.

:)
Oops, the target sector for those reverents was supposed to be lower not higher than the adjacent floor.
Your strategy for the main end part works way better than what I was doing (concentrate infighting on everyone else instead of concentrating infighting on cybers). Hard to figure out how much life or ammo to add when so much is infighting. It'd probably be more fun/harder with less cybers so lots of spiders/cacos are left throughout. I learned you can't use reverents for that many simultaneous projectiles or their homing calculations will slow the engine to a crawl. I always had like 10 non-invulnerability berzerk hits left on that one cyber- you had 5. Sometimes that beginning arachnotron doesn't even start shooting until the crusher is almost halfway down which is dumb (probably should have had 2 arachnotrons), and you have to wait for the crusher to slowly go up heh.

This wad is just a mini experiment to make areas/sectors animate in complex ways instead of being a normal static room (zdoom map01):

http://www.sendspace.com/file/po5xog

Monsters triggering stuff has a lot of potential I think. For example you could flip one switch which would cause 6 barriers to lower simultaneously for 6 seperate imps that are in rooms outside the level. Then the 6 imps could each cross over their own seperate linedef simultaneously, each line doing something unique (so a single switch could cause 20 simultaneous things to happen all at once if you really want- like flip switch = stairs go up + walls on side open + light changes + torches move down + enemy warps in + etc etc all at once. And the way I have it set up, the imps warp back so it keeps recurring in cycles.

Just a simple small area so far. You have to shoot the friendly gas clown to awake the imps.

Death-Destiny said:

Incredible! Fantastic! Simply Amazing!

gggmork, I absolutely love this map. Just look at all the cool things you get to do: Tysoning Cybs, chainsawwing Arch-viles, getting teleported into the midst of 132 Cybs and 500 Arachnotrons/Cacodemons with naught but a shotgun and 32 shells to figure something out with. I think that's the most fun I've had playing Doom in recent weeks. =D

My sarcasm detector just exploded.

gggmork said:

This wad is just a mini experiment to make areas/sectors animate in complex ways instead of being a normal static room (zdoom map01):

http://www.sendspace.com/file/po5xog

Monsters triggering stuff has a lot of potential I think. For example you could flip one switch which would cause 6 barriers to lower simultaneously for 6 seperate imps that are in rooms outside the level. Then the 6 imps could each cross over their own seperate linedef simultaneously, each line doing something unique (so a single switch could cause 20 simultaneous things to happen all at once if you really want- like flip switch = stairs go up + walls on side open + light changes + torches move down + enemy warps in + etc etc all at once. And the way I have it set up, the imps warp back so it keeps recurring in cycles.

Just a simple small area so far. You have to shoot the friendly gas clown to awake the imps.

Or since you're making the level in ZDoom you can do all of that with some lines of code. You could even do that in Boom with scrolling sectors and voodoo dolls. You could almost even do that in vanilla because there's one WR door line and one WR lift line that are triggered by monsters crossing them.

I'm too stupid to use code or voodoo doll conveyor belt type stuff. Every time I use actionscript 3 I have a strong urge to drop kick the computer. I was going to make weird 'lake ripples' where the sectors are smaller and they only raise maybe 2 pixels (might look like the floor is rippling/waving in concentric circles- which is pretty pointless gameplay-wise but might look neat).

gggmork said:

I'm too stupid to use code or voodoo doll conveyor belt type stuff.

No you're not.

@gggmork:
You focused on gameplay. Now it's time to focus on detail and visuals! Try to include lower light settings and add light effects and better textures, because the level is pretty crappy, but you can change this!