Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
herooftime1000

Other mapping programs then DeepSea

Most people use Doom Builder at this point, and Doom Builder 2 is in the works, which is very likely to dominate the field. Download and read the Doom Builder illustrated guide from the DB website - hopefully it works better for you.

I used to use WadAuthor but I switched over to Doom Builder because it was easier to use. It also had 3D mode which is very handy especially to get those alignments just right. I would definitely recommend it.

Doom builder is an easy to use program and has plenty of features. It's probably the best editor to learn mapping.

Doom Builder is by far the best IMHO. My only recommendation while using it however is to save often. It's not the most stable program in the world. That's not to say that it's extremely unstable or anything... just make sure you save every 20-30 mins. It's a good idea no matter what editor you're using.

I can't wait for Doom Builder 2 to come out. I expect great things! :-)

I'm used to save at each step of my work so I never had a problem like this :P

I still use Deepsea and have never had a problem with it. It's a matter of personal choice. Doom Builder is a great program, no complaints there but I use Deepsea. I use to use DoomCad, then DETH, then ZETH then I went to Deepsea and never looked back.

Doombuilder is the most popular with Deepsea coming in second, and WadAuthor coming in third. I think Slade came next, but I'm not sure about the rest. We had a poll some time ago on these forums.

I'm a proud, ten-year registered Deep97/Deepsea veteran myself.

Yeah when you're used to a map builder, it's hard to change...
e.g. Slade seems similar to DB but I can't stick on it.

I used to swear by WADEd but I've finally surrendered to Doombuilder's charms. Still feels weird building sectors the Doombuilder way though.

leileilol said:

maybe it has something to do with the risen3d fiasco from two years back

And for those new to the community, what was that? I've thought about purchasing Deepsea, actually, if just for the fact it would be nice to have a program to create maps and edit lumps all in one.

alien8 said:

And for those new to the community, what was that? I've thought about purchasing Deepsea, actually, if just for the fact it would be nice to have a program to create maps and edit lumps all in one.

Risen3D is/was a branch of Doomsday that the author of, and the author of DeepSea, both violated the license of by refusing to release the source code. Some people noticed and informed the Doomsday team. They get mad and start a huge deal about it, and manage to shut down the Risen3D project for a while and get the author of DeepSea even more universally disliked than he already was.

Yeah, wasn't Deep banned for being a gigantic troll?

Okay okay. Doom builder for me then. Good bye, deepsea. For now. I looked around the website for a tutorial on doombuider but most of the links were down. Any good tutorials for it?

herooftime1000 said:

Okay okay. Doom builder for me then. Good bye, deepsea. For now. I looked around the website for a tutorial on doombuider but most of the links were down. Any good tutorials for it?

This one I can answer ;)

This is not only the best Doom Builder tutorial out there, but one of the better written tutorials for anything.

DaniJ said:

Whats going on with DeepSea these days? I don't recall seeing deep around here in over a year and http://www.sbsoftware.com/ never works. Did I miss a grand farewell?

Strange, it works for me but hasn't been updated since january 2006.

My only problem with deepsea (I used it for most of my maps) was stability with my dual core laptop. I assume it was fixed in later (paid for) releases.

DaniJ said:

Whats going on with DeepSea these days? I don't recall seeing deep around here in over a year and http://www.sbsoftware.com/ never works. Did I miss a grand farewell?

The site works for me. As for Deep himself, I surely won't miss him. :D
The (Doom)world has been a better place without his trolling.

alien8 said:

This one I can answer ;)

This is not only the best Doom Builder tutorial out there, but one of the better written tutorials for anything.

My my Thanks a bunch.

You know, I actually paid for deepsea, because I really liked the ease of drawing sectors & stuff. But then I found doombuilder, made one map with it, and dropped deepsea. Probably because doombuilder's 3d mode kicks so much ass and makes everything so much easier. And it crashes less.

Mik57 said:

And it crashes less.

Not in Vista, crashes more than DeepSea, so it has me going for the latter most of the time.

Chu said:

Not in Vista, crashes more than DeepSea, so it has me going for the latter most of the time.

LOL Vista makes everything worse. What did you expect?

Jesus, I hate this attitude. The shit heads at Slashdot should be congratulated for all the ridiculous FUD that they've somehow managed to keep circulating for the last year and a half.

How quickly people forget that people were saying the exact same things about XP when making the switch from 98. And now look - everyone's got a boner for XP. God forbid Vista might make those same advances since it's admittedly shaky launch, hey?

alien8 said:

How quickly people forget that people were saying the exact same things about XP when making the switch from 98.

That's only because of those mainstream Win9x users not adapting to the DOS-less nature of the NT-based OS running their favorite DOS games. Seeing as DOSbox has existed for a few years now staying on XP isn't an issue anymore.

Vista has nothing good going for it, i don't see why anyone would pay big bucks for less functionality but a slow ram chomping turd polished up with excessive paranoia.

Thanks for the OS war

leileilol said:

Thanks for the OS war

You're right. My opinions apparently differ from many others, and it's a topic best left to... off-topic.

alien8 said:

You're right. My opinions apparently differ from many others, and it's a topic best left to... off-topic.

Yeah, I'll lay off, too. This thread has pretty much served it's purpose.

Thanks to all who contributed.