Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ixfd64

stuff you'd like to see for Doom's 15th anniversary?

Since the 15th anniversary of Doom is just a few months away, I'm just curious: what kind of things would you folks like to see done for Doom's 15th birthday?

I know I'm just dreaming, but it would be nice if id released a "15th Anniversary" compilation that includes all the classic Doom games (Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Final Doom, and the Master Levels) as well as Doom 3 and its expansion pack.

id should also consider including a compilation of fan-made levels. Maximum Doom was a rather interesting idea, but unfortunately, the implementation was flawed. Many of the levels in Maximum Doom were either crappy or had problems. A good compilation would include high-quality levels (such as those 32-level megawads), source ports, level editors, and tools. After all, it's been over ten years since id released Maximum Doom, and I'm pretty sure that these ten years have yielded good WADs. It's quality over quantity, folks! :) Another interesting idea would be for id to hold level design contests, and the winners should get a free copy of the compilation! (Other people whose levels are included should get a discount if they buy something from id.) Oh, and id should include a few other games for free as well! :)

an international holiday would be sufficient. maybe some fireworks

One major problem with the concept of more recent Doom wads being officially released is that it's become pretty common practice to take textures, music, and sometimes sprites from other games that aren't owned by id. Alien Vendetta, for example, contains lots of textures from Heretic and Hexen, and Deus Vult 2 takes resources from too many places to count. The list goes on. For free online distribution to the Doom community this is generally a negligible issue, but when you're actually putting them on a disc and selling them, you run into some major problems. Resources could, of course, be replaced with legal alternatives, but finding all the ripped resources in a bunch of wads that would be worth releasing and creating free replacements for all of them is something I doubt id Software would be interested in putting the time and money into doing. (Of course, resources taken from or based on those from Quake or other id-owned games wouldn't be an issue.)

Yeah, I don't think id Software should do anything more than keep the Collector's edition available, and release their newer DOOM 3+ games.

Talking about Alien Vendetta, though, what I'd like to see is a non-TAS speedrun movie through it. If anyone wants to try that for the 15 years anniversary...

10 years of doom was great. But I thought the 5 years of doom edition was magical. The Doom Bible, all those great interviews. Countless snippets of cute/interesting trivia about the game. And a (although pretty mainstream, but that's what you get anyway) top ten of level designers.

I'd like to see the lost, Alpha, and PSX maps together in one wad as part of a doom package.

I always dreamed with id Software releasing a new chapter for the DOOM series in the classic DOOM engine, with new monsters, maps, weapons, textures, etc..

That'd be as incredible, as it's impossible for this to happen.

Vegeta said:

I always dreamed with id Software releasing a new chapter for the DOOM series in the classic DOOM engine, with new monsters, maps, weapons, textures, etc..

That'd be as incredible, as it's impossible for this to happen.

That would really be pretty awesome.

Not so much id Software, as the id Software that made the DOOM games. They're all too young to retire and dedicate time to making something with little or no commercial value, though.

Maybe for 2043, DOOM's 50th anniversary, heh.

I'd like to see an officially licensed, full version of Classic Doom to be released eventually as another expansion pack. Speaking of the Classic Doom mod, I tried to play it a while back, but I got some kind of error that kept it from staring up when I tried to run the mod. It's been a while since I last tried to play it though, so I don't remember the exact error. Maybe I'll try it again sometime.

BTW, I'm using Vista Ultimate as my OS. Could that be part of the problem, if anybody knows?

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't know there was an update patch after the "final" 1.1 release of Classic Doom.

esselfortium said:

That would really be pretty awesome.

I smell a ZDoom community project coming on ...

I'd like to see id Software release the DOOM I and II media (sprites, textures etc) under some free license, like the GPL, or even the public domain.

Well, it would be nice to see some extensive focus on other doom engine games, like Doom 64, Strife, Heretic, Hexen, even some comments on free fan games created using the doom engine, like Foreverhood or SRB2. Hearing from some of the original id level designers and Raven software level designers about doom would be cool.

Ajapted said:

I'd like to see id Software release the DOOM I and II media (sprites, textures etc) under some free license, like the GPL, or even the public domain.

With all the money that they are still making from online stores such as Steam, that is going to be really, really unlikely. Besides, a lot of the community content have the original work far surpassed.

Ajapted said:

That would be awesome.

Creaphis said:

A failed teleporter experiment in RL.

After 15 years I'm ready.

That would be a sight to see. Are you sure you want to be the test subject?

GreyGhost said:

That would be a sight to see. Are you sure you want to be the test subject?

I think he meant "Cleanup Crew", but you never know :P

Definitely "clean-up crew". I want to be the guy who pulls his up in his pick-up truck outside a hellspawn-infested base, with 50 more bullets than a badass really needs. Not the guy who wanders, babbling, out of the teleporter exit, shortly before scattering his entrails about the laboratory.

Ajapted said:

They'd have to drop all the sound effects though since they're Sound Generals derived. Maybe except "oremor nhoj em llik" but yeah that's also was a problem about Abuse too when its shareware episode was Free'd.

There's also the issue of the mountains used for Doom sky1, and some of the tekwall textures and a few others being based on photos or paintings...

And there'd be no cacodemon (or pain elemental, which is derived from it).

magicsofa said:
I want a patch so the icon of sin doesn't crash multiplayer :P

It doesn't, unless you're using a buggy fan made source port.