Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MmM

Heart Spider + Reo

Heart Spider

Gigantic hearts, equipped with eight segmented legs, that can be found in Crying's 1992 Bio-Hazard Battle Sega Genesis video game. These pseudo-arachnids scamper and hop about amidst the pipework in Stage 7, while periodically excreting deadly red blood cells into the air. Heart Spiders are but one example of the abominations that the four heroic Biowarriors will have to confront during their quest to cleanse the Planet Avalon of the malignant organisms that have infested it in Bio-Hazard Battle.

Materials:
Newsprint, Kleenex, Manila paper, white/hot glue, wire twist ties, nail polish, and acrylic paint.

Dimensions*:
(*The dimensions given for this figure are approximations, as the height/width can vary considerably, depending on how the joints are positioned.)
3.0 cm/1.2 in. x 5.5 cm/2.2 in. (highest point x widest point)

Articulation:
Thirty-two points total: Each of the eight legs has four joints.

Time:
Approximately two days; June 20-21, 2008.

For comparison purposes, below is (1) a scuttling Heart Spider, composed of sprite frames from the Bio-Hazard Battle video game that I put together into an animation, and (2) a still shot of a Biowarrior craft taking on several Heart Spiders in Stage 7.

Reo

Large, flying insects that first appeared in the 1986 Metroid Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) video game. Opportunistic predators, Reos can generally be found hovering near the ceilings of the caverns they inhabit, waiting for unwary prey to draw near. When a potential meal does comes along, they swiftly swoop down and attack with their sharp pincers and bone-crushing mandibles. Reos are indigenous to the Planet Zebes and seem to prefer the Brinstar region in particular.

Materials:
Newsprint, Kleenex, white glue, wire twist ties, plastic from a soda bottle, nail polish, and acrylic paint.

Dimensions*:
(*The dimensions given for this figure are approximations, as the height/width can vary considerably, depending on how the joints are positioned.)
6.0 cm/2.4 in. x 7.0 cm/2.8 in. (highest point x widest point)

Articulation:
Eight points total: Wings (2), shoulders (2), and pincers (4).

Time:
One day--June 22, 2008.

For comparison purposes, below is (1) a wing-flapping Reo, composed of two sprite frames from the Metroid video game that I put together into an animation, and (2) the official Nintendo artwork for the creature.

And here's another TMNT animation I made last night, an orange Foot Soldier wielding a kusarigama (chain and sickle) from TMNT IV: Turtles In Time.

Very seldom. I prefer to work on my own projects rather than stuff for other people.

Coopersville said:

Heh... Bio-Hazard Battle. I didn't think anyone but me had this game as a kid.

heh, I know. I remember this game pretty well. as a matter of fact i think its available for download on the wii virtual console.

nice models MmM. the metroid one came out nice. like the little story bout the soda bottle. LOL. love the heart spider to.

I'm very impressed, as always. Turning Kleenex, newsprint and twist ties into articulated models - you could teach MacGyver a few things.

Edit: Oh jeez, I just noticed this exact thing was said by somebody else in the other thread - heh