Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Okay....To be honest, I actually felt nervous posting about this at DoomWorld.
This is a map I started several months ago, I haven't worked on it in a while(due to a stupid bug in my GZDoom cfg).

It's a GZDoom map called Submerged, still trying to think of a subtitle that'll fit it.

Here's some new stuff to expect:
- New enemies*
- New textures(from 2MBROWN.wad)
- a new 360degree skybox
- new underwater effects(by Solarsnowfall)

*Enemies include the Nightmare Demon from Simplicity and a Nightmare Imp, and some underwater enemies as well.

There's also a longer air limit, which I put in the MAPINFO lump, so it'll be easier to move around in the water.

Last but not least, Screenshots!

Looks nice, I remember seeing this at Zdoom.org a while back.

For screenshot one, I would suggest adding some terrain or scenery outside. Some rugged trenches or rocks would look good. The floor and ceiling need some changing. I suggest making indentations and inserting some different metal panels/lights here and there. You could add some trims that border the windows and the floor, also.

In some shots, the architecture is interesting (shot 2), but in others (1/3), it could use some help. Think in terms of new panels, lights, busted up stuff, arches, and maybe maybe some little trickle of water that's leaking from one of the windows on ceiling. Since this is for GZDoom, you could use slopes to your advantage to making rounded pipes on ceiling/floor. My only other suggestion would be to change up your textures a bit. Mix and match your textures as much as possible to and make good combinations in which to design your map. The grayish texture with grating and the yellow and black lines that is in shots 2, 3, and 4 is a great texture, but right now, it's doing a lot work by covering the walls almost everywhere. Give that texture some buddies which can help support it.

Overall, I like what I see. You've got a good concept with which you're working with. I'm excited to see something that will freshen up the mapping scene. I hope you keep working on this. :)

The texturing could use some serious work. The ceiling textures in both screenshot 1 and 2 doesn't even appear to tile correctly.

*Enemies include the Nightmare Demon

I don't recall giving you permission to use that enemy.

KingofFlames said:

Oh crap, sorry about that Spork, I guess I should've asked first...

Just maybe you should have. And since you have the opportunity to ask to use it now, I would give it some serious thought.

Well, I'd appreciate it if you didn't use it, at least in its current form (ie - the DECORATE/scripting work). I couldn't care less about the sprites themselves as they're just crappy recolors.

AgentSpork said:

Well, I'd appreciate it if you didn't use it, at least in its current form (ie - the DECORATE/scripting work). I couldn't care less about the sprites themselves as they're just crappy recolors.

What's so bad about it? I liked the monster, would it be better if I rewrote the decorate?

Well, I had kinda made that monster for use in Simplicity, and only Simplicity. I think that's a perfectly legitimate reason for not wanting others to use it.

AgentSpork said:

Well, I had kinda made that monster for use in Simplicity, and only Simplicity. I think that's a perfectly legitimate reason for not wanting others to use it.

I think the crap way its written is enough reason not to use it :P

HobbsTiger1 said:

I think the crap way its written is enough reason not to use it :P

Heh, crap or not, I myself can't do any better. :P

Also, if some people are good enough, would it be all right if a few of you made some more underwater monsters? 2 ain't going to cut it.

We are not here to provide for your every wish and want. Make your own monsters. If you don't know how to make monsters, whether it be spriting or scripting, learn to do so. I daresay it wont do you any harm.

Salright by my point of view, but you may want to look into smaller decorations, even some alterations in wall textures could help (cracks, blood, etc.). I'd hate to think that a zombie infested demon lair underwater has completely spic 'n span walls : D

KingofFlames said:

Also, if some people are good enough, would it be all right if a few of you made some more underwater monsters? 2 ain't going to cut it.

I'm not sure what other mosnters could be underwater, other than some mutated jellyfish (not that I don't have any imagination, I just can't think of anything now), which would be very simple to do, as it wouldn't really have different rotation frames. You can make it on your own.

I might try some of my skills on it (as I'm playing a lot with PSP recently), but I would not expect anything ubar fabulous. I just like the overall atmosphere for your map, and maybe - just maybe - I'll make a contribution to it.

Bank said:

I'd hate to think that a zombie infested demon lair underwater has completely spic 'n span walls : D

My god, the boss could be the zombie Mr. Clean! That would definitely explain it. :D

Why do you need a 360 degree skybox for that? The sky is nothing but blue water!

Craigs said:

Why do you need a 360 degree skybox for that? The sky is nothing but blue water!

Because it's a special feature, and you know what happens when you don't use a feature in your map.

chopkinsca said:

Because it's a special feature, and you know what happens when you don't use a feature in your map.

Wumbo?

chopkinsca said:

Deathz0r doesn't flame you for putting in pointless crap that makes the file twice a s big? You know, like he did for Saphire's pointless reflective floors?

This is a two year long bump, but it's an update.

I am redoing this entire mod if anyone's seen my posts on the ZDoom forums, because of an engine bug that stopped me from making the original at one point.

Shot 3 from the first post looks great: interesting design, etc.

The second shot looks somewhat interesting, but it could use some more detail and architecture: the walls, especially, are very bare. The hi-res textures really don't help make it look any less bare, it just looks like bare walls with hi-res torm textures on them.

The first shot from the first post has potential but it could use some interesting architecture, detail, lighting, etc. One possible idea is to cut the ceiling into maybe three rounded rectangles, raise them up 16 units or so, and put a smaller sector in the middle of each of them for lights. I'd also replace the support3 with something horizontal that better fits with the height it's used on, and maybe split the windows up into several smaller windows with some supports between them. You could also continue the supports onto the ceiling to make nice arches. Right now it's very empty but there's lots of cool stuff you can do with it.

I'm sorry to say that the most recent two shots do not look very good to me at all. Whatever you were doing before was much better :(

I'm very confused about what that first new shot is supposed to be. It looks like a giant rendering error to me :(

DarkFyre said (2 years ago?):

My god, the boss could be the zombie Mr. Clean! That would definitely explain it. :D

The shotgun guys ARE bald after all. ;)

- Chris