Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KennyJC

Failed remake of E1M1: The Slipgate Complex

For the last couple of days I was insane enough to try and do an exact replica (more or less) of E1M1: The Slipgate Complex with Gzdoom.

It was going according to plan until I reached that part near the end that has all the overlapping sloped platforms and other details. It was just a little too much for someone with poor concentration skills such as me... as well as my novice gzdoom skills!

But it is possible right?

Here's the wad if you are interested enough to run through it, or insane enough to want to try and finish it (the part that made me give up is off the map so you'd have to noclip to it or view it in the editor).

Sounds interesting, I'll test when I'll have my new computer connected.
I've also planned a remake of q1m1 but it was for a while (a year or more).

KennyJC said:

But it is possible right?

You will probably have to insert a silent line-to-line teleporter somewhere. If I remember correctly some of the lower parts of the level lie below the upper parts which with Doom's map format is not doable.

Graf Zahl said:

If I remember correctly some of the lower parts of the level lie below the upper parts which with Doom's map format is not doable.

If I heard correctly, that could be done (although it would take time) with the linetype 160 3D Floor tag in GZDoom.

3D floors are perfectly doable in many ports. Sloped 3D floors i'm not sure about... perhaps you could make a static MD2 of the slope and put that in place to walk on? is that possible?

Steeveeo said:

If I heard correctly, that could be done (although it would take time) with the linetype 160 3D Floor tag in GZDoom.

No. Not if there are two completely separate sets of rooms at the sams x/y coordinate.

deathbringer said:

3D floors are perfectly doable in many ports. Sloped 3D floors i'm not sure about... perhaps you could make a static MD2 of the slope and put that in place to walk on? is that possible?

GZDoom can do sloped 3D-floors. The room is still quite complex.

deathbringer said:

perhaps you could make a static MD2 of the slope and put that in place to walk on? is that possible?

That would be stupid due to the fact if you don't see the model's origin the model disappears

Graf Zahl said:

No. Not if there are two completely separate sets of rooms at the sams x/y coordinate.

Correct (of course) but with a lot of sector tags, a lot of chopping up of sectors into smaller pieces and a lot of patience it could be faked with 3D floors. Personally, I can't see anything in that area of E1M1 which, to my mind, would make it impossible to do in GZdoom. However, I'm not saying that it wouldn't be a little bit complicated. No more so than the 3D house in my Burghead WAD though.

leileilol said:

That would be stupid due to the fact if you don't see the model's origin the model disappears

I don't think that's correct, in GZdoom at least. If you lose sight of the sector that the model is placed in, the model may disappear in front of your eyes but I've set up many models in places where you can't see the origin of the model, but the bits of the model you should be able to see are still visible - provided the sector the thing is in is also visible. as soon as that goes out of view, the model disappears.

I've looked your map KennyJC, and it's really a good remake, though the size seems do not looks like the original (you can rescale the entire map at the same time, as the proportions are good).

K!r4 said:

I've looked your map KennyJC, and it's really a good remake, though the size seems do not looks like the original (you can rescale the entire map at the same time, as the proportions are good).

No, the size is pretty much exactly the same as e1m1 to within 16 units. This is because I had e1m1 open in a Quake editor and counted the lengths of each line in the Quake editor and copied it into Doombuilder.

Hmmm so it should be my resolution on Skulltag... anyway by your answer I know that all is fine now :)

The perceived size difference might be because Doomguy and Quakeguy don't move at the same speed, see from the same height, etc.

OK, I've just been back to Quake and had a look at the final area. It is a little more complex than I remembered - I hadn't realised that quite so much of the final area had the secret directly underneath it. However, I didn't see anything that couldn't be replicated in GZdoom with a bit of time, effort and head-assploding! ;)

Out for some time. You can get it from ReX's Nexus. Make sure you get the 1.1 updated version which fixes some code that only worked with the SVN version of GZdoom (r13) that was current at the time of the release, but which had to be changed for the official version of GZdoom. Although, to be fair, I haven't tried it myself on the very latest GZdooms, so I can't guarantee how well it works on them. It should be OK though.

http://doomnexus.drdteam.org/ (scroll down a bit)

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doomworld-news/42368-the-aspects-of-doom/

I created an almost exact replica of Quake's DM2 using a development version of Eternity with Linked Portals, minus the shifting platforms and the like, and it was relatively easy to do. I'll dig up the map file and take a few screenshots if there is enough interest...

Of course, Eternity doesn't have sloped sectors at this point so making Quake E1M1 is still out of the question. :)

AlexMax said:

I created an almost exact replica of Quake's DM2 using a development version of Eternity with Linked Portals, minus the shifting platforms and the like, and it was relatively easy to do. I'll dig up the map file and take a few screenshots if there is enough interest...

Of course, Eternity doesn't have sloped sectors at this point so making Quake E1M1 is still out of the question. :)

I'd like a look at it. DM2 is my favorite level of all time.

I was also working on an Eternity remake of DM4, around the same time Alex was doing DM2. If I remember correctly I had the layout pretty much done, but there was some architecture/detailing still left to do, and some of the portals need to be fixed due to changes in how Eternity handles them.

About the only thing I can think of that you couldn't do is the slide out bridge (shot 2). In that case you could do like Saturn Quake and have it fall from the ceiling.

Quake's doors could probably be faked with models, though. Or you could do something similar to Saturn Quake again and just use polyobjects and forget the interlocking aspect of it.