Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SuperSlammer2

berserk fist vs. chainsaw

When you feel the need to dish out some melee damage, what do you feel more comfortable using, the chainsaw or the berserked fists (assuming you have both)?

I prefer the chainsaw. it\'s really cool to just run around and slash up people and I was never really good with punching things without getting torn apart.

As crazy rad as running around hell with a chainsaw is, these something about giving demons a nice solid fuck off berserked punch to the face that warm the cockles of my heart.

Edit: bonus points if I'm using a mod that adds blood style gibbing.

Interesting thread trends for Pokemons, Quake-style maps, weapon usage, and an attempted megawad comparison too.

Chainsaw comes up as default, so I often end up using it. I feel a bit safer with it than with berserk, even though revenants usually succeed in hitting me. ZDoom helps it, because with it, the distance to enemies is measured differently than with Doom.

Berserk kills faster though, and for example episodes 2 and 3 can be completed only by using the berserk fist, once the powerup is found. A blatant design fault I say.

I'm a berserk freak so I use it as many as I can... but the chainsaw isn't that bad.

Beserk fist if I have it, otherwise chainsaw. If it's an emergency though and I really need a weapon quick, whichever one pops up first when I press 1.

Sometimes I feel a bit safer chainsawing Cacos though, especially when I don't have that much space to move around in.

It depends on the monster, but overall I prefer Berserk.

Same as Vegeta, for revenants, cacos, pellies, manci and arachs I'd usually pick chainsaw, otherwise berserk.

has anyone thought to make a berserker chainsaw?

Great idea. I love it

'course if you were going to make a beserk chainsaw, obviously you would want to be able to fire it out of your rocket launcher and watch as flaming chainsaws of death shredded enemies in the distance. :P

In regards to the question at hand, I prefer beserk in almost all situations, because you can get in, land a big punch, and get away again. You cant chainsaw a Baron, he will melee you in return while you stand there waiting for him to die with your chainsaw lodged in his stomach. Same with a revenant, with a hell knight, cyberdemons (not that I often beserk them) mancubus's etc. The only larger monsters where the chainsaw is better is the cacodemon and the pain elemental... they wont shoot at you when they have a chainsaw lodged firmly in their behinds. (they usually turn away from you when you hit them with a chainsaw).

As for former humans, either one is good... probably the chainsaw has a slight edge.

The berserk fist is my favorite weapon. Sometimes I have to resist to temptation to use it when I have ammo for better weapons.

I'm not too keen on the chainsaw if there's also a berserk pack. If I even pick it up, I'd likely never use it (and I usually don't pick it up so I only have to hit 1 once to get the berserk fist.) I don't like having to stand in one place for too long to kill something, especially with multiple enemies around.

The Dark Lord's Guantlets from DVII, however, were quite a bit more awesome than the chainsaw and I used those practically nonstop with the exception of the BFG-requiring or ranged weapon battles.

Chainsaw. There's something delightfully sinister about it.

Best thing about it is the 'vrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMMMMMM' that plays when you pick it up (on shareware and console ports, anyway, or when you pause the game just as you pick it up).

Kyka said:

'course if you were going to make a beserk chainsaw, obviously you would want to be able to fire it out of your rocket launcher and watch as flaming chainsaws of death shredded enemies in the distance. :P

flaming berserker chainsaw-launching gun? ... that is definitely going into my next Jokewad.

It's a bit odd the Hexen fighter has a permanent almost berserk power.

But yeah, if Doom had 'classic' weapons (swords etc.), they'd have to benefit from the Berserk pack as well, at least by a fraction.

SamBeckett94 said:

Chainsaw. ... Best thing about it is the 'vrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMMMMMM' that plays when you pick it up (on shareware and console ports, anyway, or when you pause the game just as you pick it up).

The sound also plays in full in the later versions (1.9) if you are using the chainsaw at the point when you exit a map - it plays during the intermission. Some players seem to like to do this in their demos.

As for the topic's question, the berserk is of course far the better weapon in most cases, though good movement skills are required to make full use of its advantages in some situations.

flaming berserker chainsaw-launching gun? ... that is definitely going into my next Jokewad.

<-- is honoured to contribute to any of Mr Pineda's doom work.

BTW, those textures that you put up were amazing. Sorry we wont get to see the finished product wads at the end of it all.

Patrick Pineda said:

In NeoDoom.wad, there was a knife replacement for the chainsaw that dealt berserker damage when a berserk pack was acquired. It was much like a regular chainsaw, but because it was a knife, it fired in bursts. It was ballin' on hell knights and cacodemons.

EDIT: as for the original question. Chainsaws are pretty difficult to use effectively on anything greater than a cacodemon. It can be done, I've sawed my share of hell knights and mancubi, but it's tough.

Berserk is simply a faster killer, doing a high of 250 damage at a time, and gibbing imps and shotgun guys is definitely addictive. Despite the awesomeness of the berserk fist, a chainsaw is a pretty decent substitute.

Patrick Pineda said:

How about Wolverine or Freddy Kruger-style blades - and a two-handed attack?

Chainsaw - I seem to die faster when going Tyson.

I use non-beserk fist when I can, even on demons. I just love punching demons. I also love beserking barons - it can be done if you can hide around corners the whole time. I also take extra damage just so I can punch out many imps or zombies

Rip and tear, rip and tear!

Doomguy's name is Rippenterr, okay?

The chainsaw must have had fuel as ammunition (and in consequence do more damage). That fuel would be shared by the legendary Flamethrower, the one weapon any FPS should have. :P How could I forget the Jetpack, too...

I prefer the berserk fist because it gets the job done faster and it can take out demons easily. The chainsaw is good but berserk is even better.

GreyGhost said:

How about Wolverine or Freddy Kruger-style blades - and a two-handed attack?

Try to play 2dmmaps for Wolverine-style blades, or Strain for a two-handed attack.

Berserk. You can even kill Archviles with ease. Cacos that are easily killed with chainsaw, go down fast with berserk

Scuba Steve's lightsaber wad (shamlessley nicked for my Insanity "i may as well just upload the abandonware i have i'll never make better sprites" Please wad) does 3-4 "punches" each hit. That's fun with the beserk.

Berserk is much better, because you can use a safer hit-and-run tactic. With chainsaw you're locked into place and dodging attacks becomes much harder.