Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zemniomega

Doom Strategies

printz said:

I doubt Doom has strategy.

Unless you're speaking strictly about single player, I humbly disagree.

There's tons of strategy in singleplayer doom, especially since the maps can have a lot of differing challenges. One must meet those challenges accordingly - there are times when you really -can't- run right through.

The order of my list is always different. People put arch-viles and chaingunners up top. However, if there was an arch-vile that couldn't chase me around a certain corner (often because of the simple AI), I might opt to hide and eliminate other monsters first. Chaingunners can also be used for arseloads of infighting. At the bottom I saw barons a lot, but they can be a real pain if situated correctly.

The actual doom AI doesn't require that much strategy to defeat. All monsters follow the same movement and firing patterns. If you're good you will just always be dodging, as long as you're aware of monsters being able to see you :)

One thing to note about mancubi and cybies is that once they begin to shoot their first projectile, they always (unless hurt) continue to fire their second and third...and furthermore, they fire directly at you! This means you can run behind a wall, causing them to spray down a whole area of demons! Wohoo!

Ralphis said:

Unless you're speaking strictly about very very very easy wads, I humbly disagree.

Ralphis said:

You said that already, but I forgot about it, so apologies.

1.Arch-viles
2.Chaingunners
3.Shotgun Guys
4.Pistol guys
5.Pain elementals
6.Spider Mastermind
7.Arachnotrons
8.Revenants
9.Mancubi
10.lost souls
11.Caco's
12.Imps
13.Barons
14.Hell Knights
15.Demons/Specters
16.Cybs

This is what I think I do in combat, which may differ from what I actually do. This list assumes I am out in the open with little or no cover.

Doom is not a strategic game... but it is very tactical.

Kyka said:

Doom is not a strategic game... but it is very tactical.

Even though this is wrong, it is also invalid. :P