Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sharessa

Retro Flashback Time

Hey, remember the Boss Key?

Whatever happened to it? Why don't they put those in games anymore? I mean, it would be great to be playing Quake 2 with all the shooting and crap, and your boss walks in the room and you just hit the boss key, and BAM, you're in Fwindows XP.

Oh yeah...thats probably why they got rid of them.

DAMN YOU WINDOWS!!
YOU SCREW EVERYTHING UP!!

I remember NetHack had a panic button that created a fake DOS prompt in-game. It was handy back in high school, when the computer teacher came back to the Windows machines to make sure we weren't doing anything fun.

I remember the boss keys...

Face Off hockey showed a spread sheet program.
King's Quest 1 showed the dos prompt
Space Quest 3 said "Ah. So you don't want your boss to know you're playing Space Quest 3. Well forget it."

Ah... DOS... those were the days.

...of repeatedly hitting the F8 key and then customizing your boot just for one friggin game. Thanks but no thanks.

lol, I remember that shit, I had a little notebook filled with a list of Y's and N's for each game.

yes when DOS was popular it was good. i just set up a classic DOS and win3.11 PC for old games. the only beef i got with DOS is setting up and getting drivers. by the way do any of u have a driver for a older rockwell soundcard(RWA010. also some times games needed that 640k ram and i hate getting the settings for that and keeping my drivers

The only games I had to edit the Config.sys and Autoexec.bat were Gametek games. Quarantine took me a long while to figure out how to even get to start. Good game though.

I remember NetHack had a panic button that created a fake DOS prompt in-game. It was handy back in high school, when the computer teacher came back to the Windows machines to make sure we weren't doing anything fun.

Uproar uses the same feature. Some of their games have panic buttons that open up a fake image of a Word document discussing major cities sales. The panic button also shows up on the right-hand side of their games section.

...of repeatedly hitting the F8 key and then customizing your boot just for one friggin game. Thanks but no thanks.

...pffff, I still have games that won't fucking run in Win95+ because they require more than 620K of conventional memory, which YOU COULD AT LEAST GET with DOS.

Yeah, DOS ruled.