Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechadon

Skulltag Community Instagib Mappack

About 3 1/2 months ago, I started a community project over at the Skulltag.com forums to try and compile a decent set of maps for Instagib (and FFA). The scheduled map deadline is Feb. 1st and the subsequent release will follow shortly after that, so I figured I'd post a thread up about it here for all who might be interested.

Right now its looking like we'll have 20+ maps (I just released Delta Build for testing purposes...so some maps may be dropped, etc). I've also included minor add-ons such as a new font (actually its the HACX font :3 ), new graphics, a reloadable railgun via DECORATE, and some other things inbetween.

Here are some screenshots:

Here's the project thread: http://skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10728&start=0
Here's the D/L link to IGPack Delta build: http://www.zshare.net/download/68252385e3885e/ (only works with the latest internal build of Skulltag, unfortunately)

If I had half a brain I would have posted this up much earlier in case someone here would have been interested in contributing to the project. There's still a bit of time left and we've dropped a few maps, so if you want to contribute a map...please feel free to do so! There's a possibility that the map deadline will be extended a few weeks since some of my mappers seem to be MIA. So if you really want to contribute but your afraid you don't have enough time to do so, contact me.

Comments are appreciated :)

I don't play DM, and for that reason Skulltag is outside of my interest circle.

But - man, those maps are a beauty!

I just realized earlier today that this pack will only be compatible with 97d (which is still being internally tested). So the release date is pretty much moot right now since no one outside of internal testers will be able to play it once its done. So I think I'm going to wait until the day of 97d's release to release this. Since I have no idea when that's going to be, I'm pretty sure I'm going to extend the map deadline, which means if anyone passing by this thread wants to contribute a map, you'll have plenty of time to do so.

Also, I put up a WIP page: http://www.wadsinprogress.info/?a=listwads&wad=1040

For some reason, though, I get a 404 error when I try to log in, so I won't be able to update the page until that issue is resolved :/

Skulltag needs to add an option for railjumping like the Quake 3 Instaunlagged mod.

For these who don't know what railjump is, well, it's like rocked jump, but the jumps are longer, and you don't receive any damage (of course it can be done on walls, floors, and ceilings for impressive acrobatic moves).

Yea never heard of railjummping...sounds pretty interesting actually! I dunno what it would do to the gameplay overall, but I might tinker with some DECORATE to see if I can make a ST railgun capable of such feats.

Wow Mechadon. That looks fucking neat. I see a place opening for this on my [SCA] dedicated server pc... if you know what I mean. Heh.

Slight bump and some screenies of my latest completed map for this:

Since 97d hasn't been release, and this will require 97d, I've moved the deadline. Actually there isn't a set deadline until I know when 97d is going to be released, so its sorta in limbo at the moment. Anyways, feel free to comment on the screenshots!

Also, I'd love to have some of the mappers here contribute to the project! If your interested, please contact me :)

If you excuse me, I have to praise my new god.
Fucking awesome Mechadon. It makes 1994-styled mapping seem like 1985.

Giganto bump, I know...please forgive me :(

I thought I'd post some screenshots here...hopefully to get some folks interested. My original intentions when I posted this thread was to try and get some mapper's here interested in contributing to the project; it would be really nice to get some non-Skulltag mappers to help out! If I can get my ass in gear I should be able to release a near-final test build sometime in the near future. However about a week ago I felt the urge to map something...so I'm making yet another map for this. Here's some screenshots:

Also, here's a screenshot which showcases the new font set I made as well as a small glimpse of 'Neodymium II' (please note that I've updated the smallfont a bit since then):

So yea, basically if your interested, let me know! I would greatly appreciate the contribution :D. If you've got a DM map just lying around, collecting dust...or whatever, think about contributing it. Just keep in mind that it has to be somewhat suited to Instagib type games.

Well, thanks for the positive comments again guys! I'm still really hoping to get someone here interested in contributing while I try and finish up this map.

I would map an Instagib map, unfortunately, I have only ever done two "deathmatch" type levels before and they did not turn out too well...

Nice screenshots though ;).

Dreadopp said:

I would map an Instagib map, unfortunately, I have only ever done two "deathmatch" type levels before and they did not turn out too well...

Nice screenshots though ;).

Well...damn, that sucks. I would've really appreciated your help...oh well, thanks for the interest anyways :D

Mechadon said:

thanks for the interest anyways :D

Hey, not a problem ;).

Well, I guess I could try something, though it will probably not be as awesome as yours ;), and I do have other CP's on the go...I can't say that I've ever done Instagib mapping before. Any tutorials, guidelines? I could take a read them over and start a little something.

Well, as far as tips for Instagib mapping goes, I tried my best to set a very loose set of guidelines in the original thread over at Skulltag: http://skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10728&start=0 (click on the 'reveal' button at the top of that very first post)

But basically if you've played any kind of deathmatch with a long-range, insta-kill weapon...try to build around that concept. I focused a lot of my mapping on sandbox type maps which have flowing, mostly outside areas with cover here and there as well as interesting sniping areas. Though I will admit there are a few maps of mine in there that are just your regular, run-of-the-mill DM maps. So you could actually get away with a regular DM maps as long as it doesn't hamper Instagib type games. The problem I had when I started this project was that some people interpret what's considered a 'good' instagib map differently than others. But yea, just read over those guidelines a bit and also I would suggest playing some Instagib to get a feel for it as well.

I really hope you can contribute something! I'll try to help you out as much as possible...so if you've got a question concerning anything in your map, feel free to bug me. I'll try to remember and upload the latest version of the resources. I think the one I had up is gone...it was out of date anyways.

Oh, while there's not really a set deadline in place yet, the project is considered almost done. Since you said you've got other projects in the pipeline, you might want to make sure you've got the time/patience to help out. Thankfully DM maps are a whole lot faster to make than other types of maps :)