Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mik57

Random generated map idea challenge

I just visited the WIP pages, and was gonna look through some wads, when I saw the map idea generator. Now, this thing is awesome, I thought maybe it would be quite fun to try to create maps based on the ideas this thing creates. Ive already tried, and its quite challenging!

I know its not too well thought out, but I just wanted to see if anyone else would want to try it out.

Could you post details of this idea generator? I am curious to check it out, though I probably wont follow it up at the moment. Too many wads to finish already. Cool idea though.

Its at the Wads In Progress page at http://www.wadsinprogress.info/index.php?a=mapgen&q=99

You type in how many objectives to have, and it generates a map Idea. Its challenging because sometimes it suggests... odd things...

Example:

Build a huge hellish church map.
The player has to destroy some big computer,
destroy a few lost UAC machine,
kill three Spidermasterminds and
destroy two lost UAC machine

Those ideas would be good themes for a speedmapping session how Sargebaldy used to run 'em. But a contest would also be interesting, to see how well someone can polish up the ridiculous ideas that the generator creates. It would probably be hard to make a hellish church that's full of lost UAC machines that players would take seriously - but I'd love to see someone spending huge amounts of effort on an idea that really doesn't make much sense.

Hey, this is an idea I had that I was thinking about. However, what I had in mind was that another person made up the parameters so that they perhaps make a bit more sense... not that it matters much. I was also thinking more community project where everyone involved got some different set of parameters to base a map on... then again, just food for thought. =/

well, it would matter a bit about luck. If 1 person gets a map full of crates they have to destroy, or if someone gets a sensible map. A sensible map is easier to make, but will be scored lower (cause it wont be hilarious)

Creaphis said:

Those ideas would be good themes for a speedmapping session how Sargebaldy used to run 'em.

http://doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=14824
Heh. I hope Sargebaldy never uses that thing again. :p

Creaphis said:

on an idea that really doesn't make much sense.

Yeah, I hammered that point home quite well with my speedmap I did for that, me thinks. ;)

Well, those did still make a bit of sense. How would you make a map whare you hunt power generators and destroy crates? Creativity.Extreme amounts of creativity.

This was one of the ideas i proposed to 32in24 but of course, like every excellent wad idea (that isn't lame of dm wad with a clan's trademark and repetitive monotone konami music) i had, it was rejected.

How would you 'destroy a computer' though, a shootable switch of a computer texture?

Well, we don't need the 32in24 to promote an idea. Maybe we can actually make a competition like this happen?

Put a 'shootable' trigger on a specific part of a computer. Have parts of the computer collapse rapidly, to kind of show that its destroyed. Same with crates,power generators, old uac machines, or any detail thing. Its also vanilla compatible.

I just played through the sargebaldy maps. I guess no one wanted to do the city with 2 icons of sin.

PS: The player has to destroy ridiculous numbers of power generator
....lulz :P

I like this part:

boris' random map theme generator said:

find a demon gateway which is hidden behind a lot demon gateway

Har! :D

I was excited about idea # 2, couldn't wait to fight those two icon of sins at the beginning of the level.... Just imagine my disappointment...

So... should this be an actual thing?

Well, as long as there seems to be some desire here to run a challenge, let me interject with what my current three favourite ideas are:

1. A challenge based on some of these ridiculous random ideas.

2. My old idea of making maps that only use the sector tags 0 and 1, which nobody cared about.

3. A challenge where people are given a things lump and build a level around it, and can't modify the things aside from monster angle, deafness flag, and player start positions.

(I just had the third idea earlier today - theoretically you could do something like this with the Doom2.wad thing tables for an interesting sort of level remix - move halls and rooms around, and create new traps, while keeping the monsters in the same places.)

Best randomly-generated map idea ever:

Build a huge under construction bright city map.
The player has to kill three Imps and
destroy a few crates

That's a job for the toughest of the tough, the roughest of the rough. No wimpy marines allowed for this delicate mission, no sir!

What do you mean, the conclusion?????? Surely three imps is more than enough for the entire megawad.

Im pretty sure that Hell Revealed only had two imps in the entire megawad, so three would be quite a step up.

lol

I like where this thread is headed.... I think we will see something remarkable out of these here little posts.

Creaphis said:

2. My old idea of making maps that only use the sector tags 0 and 1, which nobody cared about.

I actually think this might be a neat idea. The last map I mad for Dark Plutonia had three sectors with the same tag that. Because of the triggers themselves and the way the sectors were set up, it had the same sector tag spring a trap, block the player's way, and remove the block later while opening another area. It was interesting that even though several linedefs affected each sector, they all behaved correctly. I guess that's just one of those things that you notice while mapping that the player plobably won't even notice, but I'd be cool to see a set of maps that made extensive use of this principle.

EDIT: I don't know about the three imps. I'm not sure I could handle that many. I mean, I could barely deal with two, and even then required several quicksaves to prevail...

Woah, three imps? Slow down there, kiddo. Back in my day we only had one imp, and we had to share it between the lot of us.

esselfortium said:

Woah, three imps? Slow down there, kiddo. Back in my day we only had one imp, and we had to share it between the lot of us.

Lol.

Anyway, I like the idea generator but it seems to repeat a lot. I seem to get "destroy three crates" a couple of times in the same mission. I think it could be updated with a new one. I had an idea to make a newer version awhile back using VB.Net. You think I should make one? Or just not bother?

esselfortium said:

When taken out of context, this becomes amusingly multi-implicative, if you know what I mean!

esselfortium said:

Impse?

Here's one for the technophobes-
Build a huge twisted hellish hi-tech facility map.
The player has to destroy three big computer and
destroy ridiculous numbers of big computer

One to play on Nightmare-
Build a forgotten starbase map.
The player has to destroy two crates and
find some keycard

This is more like it-
Build a out of power hellish cavern map.
The player has to kill a lot Arachnotrons which guard a demon gateway and
kill ridiculous numbers of Revenants

You probably wont believe this, but I once saw a wad that had four imps in it, but no computer could run it.

Well, wouldn't destroying crates be really fun??

I wonder why it generates destroying inanimate objects so much...

find a spaceport which is hidden behind two lost UAC machine,

...w..wha? a spaceport?

Anyways, Ive tried to think of a way to combine all three, but I cant without making it extremely difficult.

I was once given a quest to find a long lost spaceport that was hidden behind a crate. You can just imagine the marine picking the crate up and going "Oh, THERE it is".

For "Destroy a computer" it doesnt say how big the computer needs to be! you could make a giant one with a romero head in it... or for lots of computers lots of them, and the quest of the level is to press a switch which activates a crusher, making them all explode. A "demon gateway" could be handled simiarly but have a boss shooter in it, and the same again for destroying a lot of crates or "UAC machine" or power generators

Build a huge forgotten bright church map.
The player has to find power generator and
kill a lot Pain Elementals

This must be annoying.

Player must find the secret elbow and destroy ridiculous number of lost UAC icon of sin hidden behind the lost UAC crate.

So, I was thinking to do something like sargebaldy's speedmaps. You can choose from 3 ideas, but the time limit is like, 3 days or something.
There will be 6 objectives, and they must be completed in the general order they were generated in.