Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Nex

Doom is so damn special

I can't deny I ain't really a fan of the PC version for the simple reason it has little decent atmosphere.
But on the Playstation I worship the ground the game 'walks' on.
It was the main reason I got a PSX all those years ago, and I can honestly say that to this day I feel it is the *the* most playable console game ever. Add to that the fact the music and sound effects were utterly brilliant and you have an experience which is so special to me. Kind of takes me back to the 'good ol' days' of gaming.
As such I cannot wait for Doom 3.
As long as the gameplay is kept the same, the graphics are throughly improved (Course they will) and superb music is again in evidence I'll be a happy man.
What would be fantastic would be a bonus game or something with all the original Doom 1 + 2 levels rebuilt with the new engine. A bit like YPOD but without the bugs.
Anyway, looking forward to it :)
(It's supposed to be out sometime this year isn't it?)

late this year at the soonest. PSX Doom better than the pc version? what have you been smoking lately? =]

I started of with PSX versions of Doom & later Final Doom which are wonderful.Very atmospheric and a joy to play as you say,for console games 10/10.Difficult to beat,and for the life of me I can't understand why ID don't release more with new WADs with maybe a high resolution,free-look port,at least as an option.
BUT when you really start to play Doom on a good PC there is no comparison!Load up a Classic MegaWad like Requiem,Momento Mori 1&2,Hell Revealled,Eternal Doom,Darkening 1&2,Icarus,Heroes 2,Alien Vendetta etc. Or anyone of the multitude of great level wads and you will start to realize the gulf that truly exists.There's more atmosphere,more finesse,more control,you'll never want to use a joypad again.On PC Doom gets 11/10!

I sure hope using the DOOM editor isn't too difficult. I hope to see many great additions to the new game, but it seems that creating new models and quality levels will require a professional artist/mapper.

I sure hope using the DOOM editor isn't too difficult. I hope to see many great additions to the new game, but it seems that creating new models and quality levels will require a professional artist/mapper.

It won't be easy. The only thing they can do is to make it good enough to not crash frequently and archieve a user-friendly UI.

Q3A mapping is not that hard, it's just that you must follow some rules that are greatly explained on GTKRadiant's manual. It demands from the artists to be more careful when optimizing the level for decent speeds, but the main grieve it's just that you need a lot of detail to archieve nice areas, and that's something the editor can't do for you.

I hope that id releases extensive documentation (either an actual paper manual and/or decent help files) for the editor included with the game, and some lessons on the basics.

the psx version is sweet, i've spent many an hour with it. can't quite say it's as good as the PC though...