Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
djm5493

Beginner to ZDoom Editing

Hey guys, umm I just recently downloaded ZDoom and have been playing a couple different wads for it. It's amazing.

Now I would like to make a level for it but I have absolutely no idea what in the hell I'm doing. Could someone explain to me where I need to go to find out all the info on designing a level.

I've made plenty of levels in Doom Builder but don't have any idea on how to program a level for ZDoom.

When you start Doom Builder, there should be an option called configuration. First select ZDoom, as shown below...

There will be 2 options for ZDoom. There is Doom in Doom format and Doom in Hexen format. Doom in Doom format has a number of additional ZDoom features, but lacks scripting. Doom in Hexen format supports all of Hexen's features as well as scripting. I would recommend using Doom in Hexen format.

There are some basic ZDoom tutorials here.

To learn about some of ZDoom's more advanced features, I would suggest going to the ZDoom wiki.

djm5493 said:

Hey guys, umm I just recently downloaded ZDoom and have been playing a couple different wads for it. It's amazing.

Now I would like to make a level for it but I have absolutely no idea what in the hell I'm doing. Could someone explain to me where I need to go to find out all the info on designing a level.

I've made plenty of levels in Doom Builder but don't have any idea on how to program a level for ZDoom.

When you say... program a level... are you talking about like editing the stuff?

Ex:

XWE lets you set MAPINFO (allows you to set the sky, rotate, next level, import monsters, set new textures, and a bunch of options)

Doom Builder in Hexen (as stated in the post above) opens tons of options, but you NEED to know what you're doing. Making a door is much harder, but you have more options.
Like in Hexen mode, you make a door, but you have to set it to H Raise, and specify the raise/close time, and check the monster actives and repeat checkbox (where impassible and crap is). Much more flexibility, but harder

Doom Builder ACS scripting allows probably what you're thinking. You can do all the scripts like camera, inventory removal and whatever. There is a complete guide on the zdoom wiki about ACS (the language). Hopefully if you go this route you know some computer programming (Like Java, Turing, C++... you dont need to major in it, but have a general idea).

What you could do, is use ZWADCONV, a utility to convert Doom format maps into Hexen format maps. For example, you could edit a map in Doom format, create normal and fast doors and lifts and add some monsters, convert it using the tool, and then edit the newly converted map to see and copy the variables.