Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey, have you ever played doom2.wad map01? Oh, you have? Oh, ok. :/

Download: smedley.zip (requires ZDoom)

Jumping and freelook are OK.
Do you like the map? Any bugs / suggestions?

In the tradition of Punisher, a nice slaughter. Here the quakish texturing and the ns gameplay give to the map its own identity.
Tried two times, and died :P
I'll play it untill I finish it.

EDIT : I've found few secrets with... you know... the thing that you do so well... :)
Not found yet wtf is the puzzle with the zombie in front of a berserk pack.

Way to hard for me but the map looks very nice great graphics and architecture well done

Punisher was cool. :)

Here's an updated version with demos: smedley2.zip
max/speed/nomo demos recorded with ZDoom 2.2.0

EDIT: yeah, the super secret was supposed to be an anti-climax, sorry ;)

Very nice, TOD. I have to say, it was a bit too hard for my taste (although I did manage to make it outside to where the cacodemons are without cheating). It took a lot of time dealing with monster infighting, to the point where it just got tedious (take the start for example; way too many revenants). The cyberdemons were actually life-savers in that regard.

The architecture is by far the most interesting aspect of the map, however. I loved how you added traps and rooms in inconspicuous places, shedding new light on an otherwise familiar map.

Glad to see you are still mapping TOD. Keep it up man. :)

I just got finished playing this map and have to say it's quite fun. I once had an idea like this, but not nearly as extreme (999 foes!!! In that map?) I figured you must have added some extra rooms to fit that many enemies in the map.

Remember. Cybs are just rocket launchers with infinite ammo. =) The Cybs were actually quite helpful, IMO.

Also, I liked the ultimate secret. For finding all the cute little eyes around the map, you get the satisfaction of pwning a pistol zombie with your bare hands. >=)

Anyways, that's a cool map. Excellent work.

To sum this wad up in three words, I would have to say "tough".

*pause

Hmmm... I still have two words left.

*pause

No seriously, great level.... not exactly lighthearted entertainment, but good design and insane fights. I enjoyed it. Havent quite finished it, but will soon.

Wasnt totally sold on the quake feel, but very well done all the same....

Thanks, guys. A couple new (but small) rooms have been added and I tried to make the super secret a bit less of a disappointment by adding a musical puzzle. Also, difficulty settings have been added (just different monster counts for each setting...all of the powerups and ammo will spawn in all settings) and coop starts were added (a respawning backpack was added for coop, but that's the only difference between single and coop). It'll be finished in a day or two, then it'll be uploaded to /idgames. Any more suggestions?

If you're curious why I made this: the map was originally going to be a big secret area in another map I was working on, but I thought it made the map too long and frustrating. Plus, I've been in a big mapping slump and just wanted to make something. Stealing the layout made it a lot easier. :/

Edit: Oh, and I got the name SMEDLEY from the game Road Rash 64. Smedley was one of the computer racers and I thought his name was funny.

As a big secret area for another map, you woulda been insane :P
Personnaly, I've found two of the secrets by rocket jumping the first time, but when I see whe can access them without, I was disappointed :P
A rjump secret in a wad especially from you would be nice.

Ok, here's the new version: smedley.zip

I'll upload this version to /idgames in a day or so, unless there are other suggestions / bugs.

It has difficulty settings, a couple new areas (one of them is a rendition of the starting room from the Quake level "The Tomb of Terror" E3M3, another is a corridor that joins the two outside areas), and that musical puzzle I mentioned. At the very least, you can idclip to the musical puzzle room and play "hot crossed buns" on the piano.

About the rjumping: cool that you want to see some rjump secrets. I didn't want to alienate the players who don't rjump from getting 100%, so none of the secrets require rjumping. But, some parts are faster if you rjump, so it'll be beneficial to learn for speed running. :)

Cool, I'll test this week end !

TimeOfDeath said:

About the rjumping: cool that you want to see some rjump secrets. I didn't want to alienate the players who don't rjump from getting 100%, so none of the secrets require rjumping. But, some parts are faster if you rjump, so it'll be beneficial to learn for speed running. :)

Perfect !

Excellent doomgod slaughter map level with amazing demos. I only briefly played so far but it looks extremely difficult. I'm not used to having the jump key incorporated in my keyboard-only control scheme (and using a mouse looks quite advantageous as usual) so not sure I could even beat it max.
I like how some monsters are stacked.
You probably already know but you there is one switch that pops up out of the floor that you can switch while it is still in the floor.

Thanks, guys. Yeah, it's ok about pressing the switch before it raises. Feel free to use any exploits.

Here's Drown in Blood: dib28a.zip
The other wads I mentioned in the txt file can be found at my site as well. I haven't uploaded anything to /idgames before since I haven't completely finished anything yet, except smedley.

Wow, this new-and-improved version with the EPIC SECRET is sweet. This has to be the coolest map I've seen in a while. Playing that piano thing near the end was fun too. =)

I made a UVMax demo for this map. It's a pretty casual run at 24:08, but I think it's fun watching demos of my maps, so you might like it too, TOD.

Take it, recorded with ZDoomV2.2:http://files.filefront.com/DDSmedleyUVMax+2408lmp/;10915325;/fileinfo.html

I'm not really too keen on rocket jumping since I don't like the idea of using a technique where you're required to damage yourself, though I fell of that new secret ledge and did one anyway since it would've been annoying to walk around again. There was a megasphere after that anyway... =/

Bug-wise, I noticed a few enemies that may not have teleported to the correct locations. In the new room past the extra secret eye-switch, was the Cyb supposed to teleport to where the first was or to a random location like the other demons? Also, two arch-viles used the teleport line to the same pedestal in the "exit" area from the Doom2 map. Both happened in the demo to get a better look. It's really quite minor, though, and plays fine either way...

Also, will you make a UVMax demo, TOD? I'd be interested to see the intended solution to the new map. =)

Hey cool, thanks a lot for making a demo :). I really enjoyed watching it. I like your method with the first invulnerability, where you let out the revs and hell knights before god mode wears off. It seems faster yet more dangerous. I guess you didn't know you could kill all the cybers in the piano room by walking over the switch at the top of the pyramid? ;) I was surprised there was enough ammo.

Here's a max demo in 14:24 (ZDoom 2.2.0).

I went through the back entrance and saved one of the invuls for the big fight in the room with the blue floor. The route feels safer, but I don't think it's the fastest way.

If you mean the cyber in the Quake E3M3 area, then he's supposed to teleport to one of the same destinations as the other monsters. And that's ok about the archvile pillars. I did forget to set the lines around the cybers on the red platforms in the piano room to block monster, but I don't want to make any changes unless there's something really wrong somewhere. Thanks again.

Oh, could I add your demo to the zip when I upload to /idgames?

TimeOfDeath said:

I guess you didn't know you could kill all the cybers in the piano room by walking over the switch at the top of the pyramid? ;) I was surprised there was enough ammo.

Oh really? Oops, missed that one. Silly me. =P

Anyway, I'd be flattered if you include my demo with you zip file.
Go right ahead. =) Good work on this map!

Both very entertaining to watch. You're scary-good at this game, like Vile. Use WASD? (what for jump)? Doesn't matter, I probably prefer digital no-mouse too much to change.
Really enjoyed the first map of drown in blood, is this supposed to work in zdoom 2.2.0 though or only 'skulltag' or whatever (because I couldn't easily figure out how to get beyond the poles blocking the exit, but I rarely have much patience for cryptic/secret/non-obvious stuff especially since my inability to progress might merely be bugs or some technical setting I have wrong/etc instead of me being unable to figure it out)? Ha ha, map 02 of drown in blood appears extremely hard core (if your ammo is truly that limited and I'm not missing a secret weapon room or something. I want to see demos of these.).

Also, just googling I found this link:
http://forums.newdoom.com/archive/index.php/t-31350.html
which also recommended 'coopbuildm' (saw similar wad on your site but which of the dozens of files is the right one?)
That whole piano thing was cool and creating something like that requires more detailed scripting/whatever knowledge which I lack (and am probably too lazy to figure out).

Actually since you're obviously into these type of maps can you just list off some more obscure 'hard core' maps that you like (like what does 'et' of the et demos stand for etc, I know av is for alien vendetta)?

Sorry for the late reply and the bump. I still haven't uploaded this to /idgames. Do you guys know who made doom2.wad map01 and E3M3 in Quake? I'd like to put their names in the credits.

Yes, I use WASD and right-mouse button for jump. Drown in Blood was designed for ZDaemon/infinite ammo/deaths, so I'd play it in that, but ZDoom should be ok (except for maps that have multiple megaspheres in the same spot - in ZDaemon you only pick up one if you don't have 200/200 - and I don't think you can bump things in ZDoom, like the bfg at the start of map04). The end of map01 is a shooting switches puzzle - it's the same sequence 10 times in a row or something. There are demos for map01,03,26 on my page.

I'd get coopbuildlm, that's the most popular one. But, some of the other versions have maps that aren't in that one. Map08 and 12 are my favs for single player (with and without deaths).

Those et demos are for Eternal Doom (eternall.wad). But for obscure slaughter stuff, ummm I'm not too sure, but I'll list off some wads from ZDaemon: Destination Unknown, barbamaps, Invasion UAC, Coop-Maps, Stranded Coop, dbzone, sg_trogun, I'm probably forgetting some.
Thanks for the comments. :)