Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shotgunmasacre2

First Map (Fer reals this time)

Hey all, I am back, and finally have something to show for it. I finally completed and am releasing my first map (release being the key word, this is probably my 10 or so map :). Anyway, I ask that you give it a look. Feedback as you all know is something I crave, so please give me you honest thought, for good or bad.

Two things though. First the map is for zdoom (scripts, that kind of stuff, but nothing to gimicky). I apologize for you zdoom haters, but I hope this doesn't turn anyone off. Second, I got tired of waiting to upload this to idgames archives, so for the time b eing it is on rapidshare (sorry). I will probably upload it to the archives soon, but I am a little low on patience and I wanted to upload this, so bear with me. Please dont allow these problems to make you not download this. Once again thanks for at least reading this, and I look foward to hearing from you.

http://rapidshare.com/files/128194592/Abattoir.zip.html

EDIT: The zip is in the incoming archives now (hopefully to get a good review:) I fixed a few of the things that were mentioned in the thread.
ftp://archives.gamers.org/pub/idgames/incoming

1st comment rocks. ;-)

Very good. I enjoyed that one. I liked the gothic-ish aesthetics you used and the gameplay had plenty of monsters to take out with the SSG and berserker. Fun stuff. Also, I like how you used Zdoom scripting to create a more classic feel instead of something totally different. Good job, Massacre!

Oh, just an aesthetic suggestion, I noticed the door pictured below disappears into the sky. I can't imagine you did that on purpose, so I ought to bring it to your attention. I believe this is en route to the red key:

Heh, yeah I had to figure out the best way to put a door there, but I realized that it does look a tad bit ... um ... bad. :) Anyways thanks for the compliments.

shotgunmasacre2 said:

Heh, yeah I had to figure out the best way to put a door there

If you wish, you can keep the sectors the same, but use a lift instead of a door. This way, it will lower into the floor instead of raise into the sky, but will function pretty much the same way.

Or create a fake pivoting door, though you are on ZDoom after all.

Edit : I can't test to see how your map is good because I'm busy these days, sorry :/

Cool map I liked it some little things that I noticed was.

-The zombies that appear after you picked up the red skull key were deaf, it wasn't much of an fun fight.An bit more of an challenge there would be nice.

-I don't think putting shell boxes right in front of an door is an good idea.

I found it particularly fun/more challenging as a tyson run (using only the berzerk) and recorded a max kill tyson run (11:36 for zdoom 2.2.0) if interested:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/0jcegm

One bug that requires IDCLIP is that you can fall into a 'well' later on (near a mancubus) by using the 'sidewalk' to get higher. Another very minor missing texture(s) nobody will see is right near the start where 2 sides have a shotgunguy and 2 zombiemen, well the one on the right is missing stair textures only at the far side. The map looks nice too.

Wow, nice run. I am glad that the level is indeed tysonable like I kinda wanted. Thanks for the compliments, if I do reupload the wad I will probably fix those errors. Thank

shotgunmasacre2 said:
Yeah, but I didnt want to use to many zdoom effects to take away from classic doom play, but thanks for the input.

I'd only worry about too many zdoom effects when your wad is full of cut scenes and intrusive scripted sequences.

Captain Red said:

I'd only worry about too many zdoom effects when your wad is full of cut scenes and intrusive scripted sequences.

Agreed.

You could turn that sky-door into sliding double-doors, and it'd look good while still functioning similarly.

Captain Red said:

Yeah, that would kill even the best designed level ever. The reuploaded wad in the incoming archives fixed the sky door, went ahead and took the first suggestion to may it function as a lift instead, but I always loved the sliding door effect, but was too lazy ;)