Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CarpetolA

Skill selection done Quake-style

Hey, CarpetolA here!

I have just made a small introduction map with three skill levels - Easy, Medium and Hard, and I just want to know how I can implement these skills into the skill selectors. I know how to remove the skill menu (noskillmenu), but I'm not sure about the actual skills. How can I make the selectors "activate" the particular skill that the player wants to choose?

EDIT: I got it working now. Here's how I did the whole thing:

#include "zcommon.acs"

script 1 (int line)
{
print (s:"This hall selects Easy skill.");
ChangeSkill (SKILL_EASY);
}
script 2 (int line)
{
print (s:"This hall selects Medium skill.");
ChangeSkill (SKILL_NORMAL);
}
script 3 (int line)
{
print (s:"This hall selects Hard skill.");
ChangeSkill (SKILL_HARD);
}
Thanks goes to Graf Zahl, Fisk and t.v. for helping me with the annoying scripting! Couldn't have done it without you three! :D

P.S. I actually didn't get noskillmenu to work, tbh... I just put it in MAPINFO, and fired up ZDoom with the WAD, but it seems like I have to do something else than that :S I assumed I just needed to do that, so I don't know how to get rid of this obstacle. I'll post another thread regarding this, since I think it doesn't have anything to do with the problem on this thread, so don't reply here! Look for my new thread "noskillmenu goes apesh*t!" and you can post some solutions to that problem so I can probably get it fixed. Thanks for your concern! :)

CarpetolA said:

Hey, CarpetolA here!

I have just made a small introduction map with three skill levels - Easy, Medium and Hard, and I just want to know how I can implement these skills into the skill selectors. I know how to remove the skill menu (noskillmenu), but I'm not sure about the actual skills. How can I make the selectors "activate" the particular skill that the player wants to choose?

Since the 'noskillmenu' indicates ZDoom the answer is simple.

There's an action special called ChangeSkill. Use that in the script right before the map ends and you are done.

If you stick to the default skills the relevant values are 0-4 so the 3 levels you probably want are 1, 2 and 3.

CodeImp said:

Moved to editing forum. And is this ZDoom you are using?

Yes, I intend to use ZDoom as the engine of choice.

Graf Zahl said:

Since the 'noskillmenu' indicates ZDoom the answer is simple.

There's an action special called ChangeSkill. Use that in the script right before the map ends and you are done.

If you stick to the default skills the relevant values are 0-4 so the 3 levels you probably want are 1, 2 and 3.

Scripts... My worst enemies... But anyhow, I will try doing that :) Thanks, GZ! ;)

Guest DILDOMASTER666

//Activate Line Special 80 and for Script Number, use 200. For Arg1, put
//either 1, 2, or 3, depending on which skill line the player has crossed.
//At the end of the map, call this script again with argument 1 set to 0.

int finalskill;

Script 200 (int skill)
{

if(!skill)
    ChangeSkill(finalskill);
  else finalskill=skill;

}

OK, so I finally got the skill problem outta my way, but I'm now facing another problem. I can't get rid of the skill menu! It requires the lump MAPINFO to do it, I know that, but I can't even use it properly! If you could post solutions to this enigma, my introduction map could have a future. I'll hear from ya guys soon! :)

You need to define an episode to get rid of the skill menu:

clearepisodes
episode MAP01 
	name "The Chosen"
	noskillmenu
If you only have one episode you may skip the name.

Graf Zahl said:

You need to define an episode to get rid of the skill menu:

clearepisodes
episode MAP01 
	name "The Chosen"
	noskillmenu
If you only have one episode you may skip the name.

Wow, thanks, GZ! And thanks to Gez for helping me with a problem that is already solved. But that's OK, it shows how helpful you people are ;) Thanks guys!