Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ultimablah

Did you find Doom 3 scary?

Movie was wery stupid. and only thing that is same than on the games is name. and guy who thinks that doom games is based on movie, is an idiot

hardcore_gamer said:

What did you exspect from a Doom game anyway?

Complicated and diverse gameplay?!?

I don't think so.....

Look, I did expect better use of scary or disturbing events and effects. That's what the previews of Doom 3 were saying. Like nightmares for weeks... But no. It only resulted in a Doom-like remake with intensive sound effects.

printz said:

Look, I did expect better use of scary or disturbing events and effects. That's what the previews of Doom 3 were saying. Like nightmares for weeks... But no. It only resulted in a Doom-like remake with intensive sound effects.

Perhaps, but the Hell level still made me piss my pants the first time i played it with all of those sounds and stuff, like when the cage thing falls down.

I found Doom 3 Startling at moments. Somebody here mentioned a skeleton moved by an invisible force? Yeah, that pretty much left me with a chill down my spine (and about 10 bullets shot out of my machine gun, but I guess if it happened in real life you'd lose those bullets too). I wasn't actually scared as in "MOMMY!!!".

It was quite entertaining though, the ambushes were well done although some were quite predictable.

Of course, Doom3 way scarier than any "scary" movie I've ever seen.

Too bad it's too linear, which cuts away some replay value. On my 3rd or 4th time around I'm pretty much gonna know where every zombie closet is.

Yes, but not so much.
I just fear big battles in cramped or dark places.

It should have had more random scary stuff. Like the time you look in the mirror. And more abnormal stuff. Like in silent hill, when you go into the hospital and take the elevator to the third floor, then get back into it again and suddenly there's a fourth floor button that wasn't there before. That stuff really freaks me out.

DOOM3 was O.K, and not really scary after the first level. Mars Underground was the only level I jumped more than once or twice in. When that Imp moves though was probably the scariest part of the game. If I'd had the rocket launcher out I would've blown my head off.

Well I play DooM3 only by night, without any friends on house. So im just alone without light and vol up. When the thing starts to happen... well im si jumpy. like if im in the mars on real life. moving very carefully even health on full. Checking corners. Listening of sounds. And all kind of things like that. You should try it on your homes pals. Put the volume so up that when imp dies that screaming hurts your ears. Then you got the feeling and then it will be easier to play cos monsters cant surprise you, cos you can hear them footsteps.

But still F.E.A.R is 10x more scarier. I newer ever play it again on night.

DooM Droid said:

But still F.E.A.R is 10x more scarier. I newer ever play it again on night.

Why do people beleave that FEAR is so scary?!!

I own the game and it's not scary at all. Some times i jumped when Elma appeared, but thats it. It's a great action game but it should not be a horror game at all.

The places that really got me were the areas were pitch black and you had to follow a light source. The other scary place for me was at the beginning of Delta Labs where there is no one around. I kept expecting something to jump out at me but there was nothing. For some reason this was really spooky for me and I jumped at every sound.

hardcore_gamer said:
Why do people beleave that FEAR is so scary?!!

I own the game and it's not scary at all. Some times i jumped when Elma appeared, but thats it. It's a great action game but it should not be a horror game at all.

Seriously, every time one of the 'scary bits' started I'd roll my eyes and wish the game would just let me get back to shooting shit in slow mo.

I gotta admit it did scare me a few times. But overall, it just lacked something. Great game, but lacking.

The part that scared me the most was the start of the delta labs. really atmospheric.

I think the reason the game overall failed to scare is that somehow, I always knew that I was just playing a game. I never got away from the fact that this was "Doom: the game" rather than "Doom: the universe."

If you know what I mean.

It disappointed me, because it could have been just so so so terrifying and so so so awesome.

The addon to F.E.A.R. was really scary even tho the original wasnt. Extraction point was genuinely scary. Play it if you dont think that Fear itself was scary.

A few times I found myself throwing a couple of "Holy shit motherfucker!!!" rants when an Imp would come out of the floor grating or something.Nothing too frightening though,I think I was freaked out my in classic doom when I was a kid than I was with doom 3.

EDIT:I found Condemned and Fear pretty creepy,not to mention Penumbra,very Lovecraftian.

In many parts. The first time I went to the bathroom in Mars City and the screen changed to dark red... and many other times. I did have a few nightmares, though not completely related to Doom3.

Startling yes, I have been scared by it, but not as startled as I have been. Actually now that I'm thinking about it, I've been terrified at the points where my character was near death more than I was when I wasn't near death.

Hard to say. I only played the Xbox version. It looked rather good considering the technology that’s in the Xbox, but having some maps cut from the game was a bit annoying.
I found the game atmospheric scary, such as "I don't wont to turn this corner" (even in the coop mode), but nothing that made me jump. The again, I am the kind of person who can play though games like Silent Hill with a straight face.

It would be nice, however, if Id software re-released doom3 for the Xbox360.

Side note: Wouldn’t it be fun if cutman remade Ghouls Forest2/3 into doom3? I can imagine it now.

geo said:

Startling yes, I have been scared by it, but not as startled as I have been. Actually now that I'm thinking about it, I've been terrified at the points where my character was near death more than I was when I wasn't near death.

You dont say..? :D

Know exactly what you mean tho. Just heightens the tension.

I'll be honest, I shit myself playing "Hell". I was playing at like 1 am in the morning with really loud sound. Very intense. Unforgettable, never felt anything like that.

I also felt really in the game after Hell when you're wandering throughout the station and see lava all over the place. That was so cool.

There was one part where you look in a mirror in a bathroom in I believe the Delta Labs and suddenly you'll be surrounded by fire and shrieking spirits for a few moments. That one made me jump.

Death-Destiny said...
where you look in a mirror in a bathroom in I believe the Delta Labs

I think that was very near the beginning, as the first bathroom you ever enter. Consequentially, this particular one made me hesitant to enter any more bathrooms in the game.