Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shin Godzilla

Movies That Remind You of Doom

Ralphis said:

I'm going to have to say I liked the Doom movie. Doom 4 should definitely have the Rock as the main character

Complete with 'Semper fi'? That would be the ultimate multiplayer taunt, now that I think about it.

Ralphis said:
I'm going to have to say I liked the Doom movie. Doom 4 should definitely have the Rock as the main character

Ralphis said:
I'm going to have to say I liked the Doom movie.

Ralphis said:
I liked the Doom movie.

Lies! Blasphemy!

myk said:

Event Horizon totally lacks DOOM's violence, so to me it's a bad choice notwithstanding other factors. Zombie movies where people shoot them down always remind me of shooting Zombiemen, Shotgun guys and Heavy weapon dudes. Any Aliens clone has its DOOM resemblance, such as Starship Troopers or Resident Evil (the latter has zombies and an immoral mega-corporation anyway).

Ehhh,Yeah when I think of Zombies I think of doom,but I veiw resident evil Zombies differently.Their zombies where just a result of a virus but doom was more like they were a result of a more supernatural force that brought them to life
Starship troopers and Aliens just reminds me of Starcraft.

Personally, I'm likin' the Doom Movie so far. Somehow, though, I could tell The Rock would become the final boss. The keycard and coloured door references were awesome.

My biggest regret of the movie was not seeing any other demons apart from the bus-load of zombies, one or two hell knights, a couple imps, and one pinkie. ...But the Hell Knights were nice to see anyways.

But if it's a movie that reminds me of Doom... yeah, probably one of the Evil Dead movies. Aliens was just... fighting aliens. This is fighting xenomorphesque creatures, though that's apparently part of the backstory, kind of like Aliens, but fighting Zombies ain't exactly Hell's Minions either, despite being made by them. Doom is Doom, no matter what the form. Just because it takes on other looks and feels, doesn't mean it's not Doom. You can't expect incarnations of games and books in the movie form to be perfect, or vice versa.

That being said, I'm sure the 'Doom' we've come to know is only the 'Doom' it is because technology was limited back then, so what is truly 'Doom' apart from what the creators of the series think up? As long as Id Software is part of anything named 'Doom', I'm sure it's 'Doom', even if it hasn't exactly captured the feel of 'Classic Doom'.

...I'm going to sing the Doom Song now! http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fqcn_TPu4qQ

...You know what would kick ass? An entire Doom movie done in first person from the 'Doomguy's point of view.

Can't believe this thread went on for so long without mentioning End of Days with Schwarzenegger.

What, is that at the beginning?

Is it a good movie?

Should I see if I can find it? :D

Hellish Godzilla said:

OK, so there's obviously the Doom movie...

As a Doom-like movie, it's not as obvious as it should be. :P

Seriously though, I don't watch enough action movies to really have much I could pinpoint that hasn't been said already. Army of Darkness is one of my favorite movies ever...I will just say that.

And as for Plan 9, Tor DOES remind me of a Mancubus at times.

I don't really feel that theres any movie out there that will make anyone say "OMG,this IS the doom movie."

Though I tolerated the Doom movie,it still pisses me off that ID let them Rape doom like that.Fucking space virus my ass.

JohnnyRancid said:

The Doom movie kinda reminds me of doom some times. I think they both had hell knights. I guess that's where they relate.

Theoretical physicists, Philosophers, Theologians, Mathematicians, all of these people have spent many many years pondering what relationship, if any, exists between Doom: the movie and Doom: the game.

JohnnyRancid... I am impressed that you may have established a connection, however fragile that connection may prove to be... :P

Just to get back on track, this is probably gonna sound really weird, but I am sure that early Warhammer 40K such as Space Hulk and Rogue Trader had a big influence on the original doom. The scary, space base atmosphere, the demonic entities, the terminators, the legions of chaos, the fear factor, all these things fit in with the doom "ethos" and I am sure the good people at id were influenced by it.

I know its not a movie, but it still fits, I think.

GeckoYamori said:

Can't believe this thread went on for so long without mentioning End of Days with Schwarzenegger.

Movie sucked, demons or no.

I have this awesome Idea..... we could make a movie... using Doom 1 and 2 as a base for the movie. Wouldn't that be awesome??

I mean think of it. Doom would work so well as a movie. Lots of action,lots of big badasses, a visit to hell, earth getting destroyed, etc etc.

You could call it "doom: the movie"

One of the reasons that it would work so well is that it has never been done before. Yeah Yeah, i know there was a movie called this already, but that doesnt count.

Doom: the movie. Lets all live in hope.

The really funny/sad thing, Kyka, is that your description of what Doom: The Movie would be is nothing like the actual movie, and therefore vastly improved. :)

The thing that pissed me off so much about the Doom movie is that they replaced the demons with genetic mutants. I mean, come on! Doom already came with this awesome storyline of demons from Hell that was so simple that you'd imagine there was no way they could have fucked it up. But instead we get the same tired bullshit storyline where there's some kind of space disease left over from something or other. It eliminated the most distinctive and intriguing aspect of Doom's story.

Of course, the novels did the same kind of thing, and they...well, they sucked too. Why can't anybody just bloody stick with the original concept? Why does every author and filmmaker think they're such a genius when they screw around with the central theme of the game? Are they afraid to bring Hell into the mix? Are they really that lame??? I don't think I'll ever understand it.

So yeah...if we made an Doom movie actually based on Doom...somehow...that would be pretty sweet. But, as was pointed out, this has been proposed before and it always falls flat. :(

The Hills Have Eyes II remind me a little to DOOM.

Vegeta said:

The Hills Have Eyes II remind me a little to DOOM.

Hmm...I have'nt seen the second one but the first one reminded me of Fallout.Crazed cannabalistic mutants,come on...that screams Necropolis.

Kyka said:

Just to get back on track, this is probably gonna sound really weird, but I am sure that early Warhammer 40K such as Space Hulk and Rogue Trader had a big influence on the original doom.

I forgot about Space Hulk,great game.I just wish I could find the Jaguar version.Luckily they did make a Space Hulk mod for Dawn of War which I've been playing the hell out of.

If they made a movie that was actually based on doom I think it would be interesting to make the main character a survivor on earth thats involved in the mass exodus to the spaceport.And of Course there'd be the doom guy,and for some reason I could always see Jason Statham as the doom guy.

Haloless0320 said:
Hmm...I have'nt seen the second one but the first one reminded me of Fallout.Crazed cannabalistic mutants,come on...that screams Necropolis.

It screams a movie from the '70s.

Not previously mentioned:

"Commando" starring Arnold Schwarzenegger ought to qualifiy as somewhat DooMlike, featuring a shitload of weapons used and 200+ one-man kills. Perhaps "Raw Deal" too?

Rambo <1...

None of the above has zombies or demons in them AS SUCH, though some of the actors could resemble ones slightly...

Aliens3. A pacifist speedrun at the end?

COMMANDO!!! How could I forget that one? I mean, it's more generic FPS than Doom specifically, since it's just enemy soldiers rather than monsters or whatever, but Arnold still manages to be a freakin' one-man army in that movie.

Hellish Godzilla said:

Fun fact: Map09 of Hellcore 2.0 is based on the town in ITMOM.

Haha, I'm glad someone caught that, true Carpenter fan!

Not always a movie, but everytime I hear the sound of a soul cube coming from the Icon of Sin, or the sound of a techdoor opening I'm reminded of doom. I've heard the imp death sound a few times as well. Either they were open domain or ID didn't care about copyrighting them, or didn't care about the previous copyright, but I've heard these three sounds in more ads on the scifi channel and in the same vein more crap sci fi movies than I can count. But really no particular movies story, setting, or script really reminds me of doom. Not even the doom movie sadly. You can't cram that sheer amount of awesomeness into 90 minutes.

Leileilol is going to show up in this thread and explain where Doom's sounds came from. Or perhaps Myk.

I know its not apparent to some people, but the backstory to the movie The Mist reminded me a lot of Doom. The army was developing a technology to view other dimensions, something went wrong, and a ton of monsters popped out and killed everyone.

Thats what I remember about it, at least, its been awhile since I saw it...

Creaphis said:
Leileilol is going to show up in this thread and explain where Doom's sounds came from. Or perhaps Myk.

It's actually been on the FAQ for a very long time. Goes to say how much people risk their forum health by not reading it.

myk said:

It's actually been on the FAQ for a very long time. Goes to say how much people risk their forum health by not reading it.

Huh, I've read the FAQ several times and I never noticed that, thanks for bringing it to my attention though. I always figured they were from a sound library or public domain but I wasn't sure. Learn something new every day.

No movie really reminds me of Doom, like yeah, there is the Doom movie, but its canon isn't right, plus the Rock's presence makes it the lulz.