Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mik57

Random generated map idea challenge

Well, I was thinking maybe they could be slightly refined before they are used as ideas. Something that has nothing but destroying crates will obviously be rejected, but something where you destroy a machine or a giant computer might kind of make sense. Or where you destroy a generator to make an electronic barrier fall, or something like that. Maybe there is a way to destroy demon gateways. I already made a map where you press a button to destroy a room full of lost UAC machines. (which has 4 downloads btw. WOO!)

Plus, they should have at least 4 objectives, not just 1. A small warehouse with 3 demons in it sounds more like a job for the ghost busters than the doom guy. And if its forgotten, whats the danger? just let the demons live in peace. :P

Mik57 said:

A small warehouse with 3 demons in it sounds more like a job for the ghost busters than the doom guy. And if its forgotten, whats the danger? just let the demons live in peace. :P

Never!!! Demons Exterminated. =P

Death-destiny, wtf? where do you keep getting these pictures? :P

Do you have a pic of two icons of sin having tea time with some marines?

Mik57 said:

Death-destiny, wtf? where do you keep getting these pictures? :P

You're forgetting how fast D-D can map. He tosses them together and does screenshots with one hand while typing reply posts with the other. :P

What were the guys who made the map idea generator thinking by including a bunch of destroying crates and generators as part of the map ideas? I have yet to play many maps where you tend to destroy anything other than monsters and barrels. The only real way I can imagine destroying crates and machines is a Gunfire actvated switch that lowers all sectors of the machine and crates the the lowest floor. Which looks really lame.

JohnnyRancid said:

What were the guys who made the map idea generator thinking by including a bunch of destroying crates and generators as part of the map ideas? I have yet to play many maps where you tend to destroy anything other than monsters and barrels. The only real way I can imagine destroying crates and machines is a Gunfire actvated switch that lowers all sectors of the machine and crates the the lowest floor. Which looks really lame.

Yeah, exactly. While most of those objectives could be implemented very well in at least one Doom engine, they're just plain inappropriate for anything but the most complex Doom projects. When you're speedmapping or making a more traditional mapset, you won't want to have to find hackish workarounds like that for everything.

I think this idea generator (http://www.wadsinprogress.info/?a=mapgen) is hilarious, the "lost UAC machine" just makes me laugh. But I decided to build a level based on this insane idea generator. It certinaly won't get you that far because of the way it explains its ideas. So I've decided not to upload this map to the archives because I made my promise that I will never upload another jokewad or anthing not serious again. So its on my WOS site. Here are the ideas below and I went ahead and made it.

* Build a small twisted church map.
* The player has to find a plasma gun.
* kill a few Pain Elementals which guard a lost UAC machine.
* kill three Hellknights.
* destroy two crates.
* find a plasma gun which is hidden behind three big computer.
* find a BFG9k which is hidden behind some lost UAC machine.
* kill a lot Commandos and kill ridiculous numbers of Barons of Hell
which guard a demon gateway.

I think the "destroy two crates" was the funniest thing out of the list. And yes, you can destroy the two crates by shooting them.

You can download the map at: http://www.geocities.com/whispersofsatan/l_uac_m.zip

http://www.geocities.com/whispersofsatan/l_uac_m.txt

Not 100% sure if the link works. I had another post on here a short time ago and I changed it to DELETE POST because the link wouldn't work but instead it ends up in POST HELL. Ahh well :D

sargebaldy said:

That was the worst theme ever, but at least I warned everyone in advance.

Haha, I can agree with you.

JohnnyRancid said:

The only real way I can imagine destroying crates and machines is a Gunfire actvated switch that lowers all sectors of the machine and crates the the lowest floor. Which looks really lame.

Or use a scripted sequence.

Quite the contrary, there are vanilla methods of scripting (I believe I tried it once), but they are very hackish and prone to working incorrectly every now and then. I think KDiKDiZD will use several such instances of this vanilla scripting if they can be made to work consistantly.

Ajapted said:

DOOM does not support scripts.

Yeah, but for the new Doomers it's tempting to use ZDoom standardly. :) Add the likely inspiration from Quake 2-like shooters. Now they'll find the destruction of crates and UAC machines as normal map gimmicks.

@PCorf

I played the map nice work fighting all the barons at once in that little computer maze was nuts.

Spertz said:

@PCorf

I played the map nice work fighting all the barons at once in that little computer maze was nuts.

You would expect ridiculous numbers of Barons of Hell guarding the Demon Gateway. I just go outside, race to the invulrneablity sphere and BFG em all. It takes about 7 or 8 BFG shots to get red of the ridiculous number of Barons of Hell.

Well damn :0 I went out and then right back in not even noticing the invulnerability it would have been alot quicker and easier that way :)