Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Haloless0320

Strategy Game Preferences

Richo Rosai said:

Wow, what's the story behind misspelling genius being censored?

Bloodshedder has his title for a reason. :p

Anyway...

myk said:

I don't care for strategy video games...

That about sums my opinion up quite well.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread topic.

BlackFish said:

Think of it as a spiritual successor to Total Annihilation, if you're familiar with that.

I thought so,I still play that off and on.A doom strategy game might be nice too.I think I'd play it

Richo Rosai said:

Wow, what's the story behind misspelling genius being censored?

AFAIK, the censor is not to catch curses, but to inform you that you've misspelled a commonly misspelled word, like "definitely", "ridiculous", or "genius".

Death-Destiny said:

AFAIK, the censor is not to catch curses, but to inform you that you've misspelled a commonly misspelled word, like "definitely", "ridiculous", or "genius".

And for overused smilies such as X D.(without the spaces)

For RTS I really like the Warcraft RTS games, and KKND (good sense of humor)

Then there's ETQW for my online Team Strategy games. Although on pubs there's not always a whole lot of actual team stratting going on. :p

I generally really hate turn based games, but Septerra Core for some reason got me interested and I still looking to get back into it to finish it. (lost the save game)

Then there's the Syndicate series.

System Shock series.

kristus said:

Then there's the Syndicate series.

System Shock series.

Syndicate was awesome,is bullfrog even around anymore or did they go bankrupt.And System shock isnt a strat game,its a first person RPG

Bullfrog got bought out by EA. Peter Molyneux went to start Lionhead,
and System Shock is certainly a whole lot more strategy based than FF.

Yeah but I'm saying it doesnt focus on massing units and economy management etc...I guess it could be strat.I havent played much of the first system shock but I had the 2nd one and I know you can hide from the baddies and shit.
Damn that game was creepy.

I stick with C&C Generals, Yuri's revenge and Total Annihilation - I find they are the most fun multiplayer wise.

I have Supreme Commander, but never really got into it.

Warcraft III + Frozen Throne hands down.

All else great, the one thing that sticks out for this Blizzard RTS is its excellent user interface with lots of context-sensitive information and unmatched visual communication; never once was I confused about what to do next.

Company of Heroes and its expansion Opposing Fronts are great RTS games, however they have high requirements to run smoothly. Gameplay is phenomenal with infantry covering system, Tank front resistance/side vulnerability, and awesome support options. Also the graphics are sexy.

C&C series is also very entertaining. I grew up on Red Alert and then went to Red Alert 2 both very fun. Generals and Zero hour are also very fun, and the generals missions can be very challenging.

Total Annihilation: Kingdoms was very fun but frustratingly hard. The graphics were pretty shitty too. But the units were very fun to use. It's expansion, the Iron Plague introduced a new race, the Creon, which used machinery. Their units and defense structures were incredibly powerful, as a base protected by prism towers and neo dragons was almost impossible to break. The superpower units took forever to build but for a good reason.

Age of Empires was always a fun series. Never got to play 3, but I enjoyed one and two a lot. Civilization bonuses were always very cool, and being a classic medievalish game, it was interesting.

Age of Mythology and it's expansion, The Titans, was super cool. Like Age of Empires, with civ bonuses and such, except mythological creatures were involved too! I loved playing as Norse and steamrolling the enemy with giants and controlling the seas with kraken.

However, I absolutly love Blizzards Warcraft series and Starcraft. All are just absolutely brilliant. Warcraft 2 is much easier to play than 3 imo, however, because it is not as micro intensive. I remember back in the day Warcraft 2 was on AOL for like $1.00 an hour to play and within a week I racked up a $100 bill. Good times.

Speaking of which, is it possible to get Warcraft 2 in any store nowadays? I'd figure the Battle.Net edition could be around at a cheap price.

Inferno said:

Company of Heroes and its expansion Opposing Fronts are great RTS games,

Argh, Can't believe I forgot to mention them.

kristus said:

Argh, Can't believe I forgot to mention them.

Same here! I only just got Opposing Fronts too.

Inferno said:

Speaking of which, is it possible to get Warcraft 2 in any store nowadays? I'd figure the Battle.Net edition could be around at a cheap price.

Yeah, Warcraft II Battle.net edition is still sold. I was lucky enough to get it for "free" as a magazine bundle a couple of years ago though, with pressed CD, working serial and all.

Inferno said:

Total Annihilation: Kingdoms was very fun but frustratingly hard. The graphics were pretty shitty too. But the units were very fun to use. It's expansion, the Iron Plague introduced a new race, the Creon, which used machinery. Their units and defense structures were incredibly powerful, as a base protected by prism towers and neo dragons was almost impossible to break. The superpower units took forever to build but for a good reason.

Ick. Total Annihilation is possibly the best RTS ever. Just so fun and balanced with a great engine, plus the ability to download new units and maps. Then I bought Kingdoms and was severely disappointed. The engine doesn't translate well to stuff where everything isn't shooting at each other. Besides that, the sides were horribly unbalanced. The nature guy's total lack of buildings made them unplayable and they'd always be the first to die in skirmish mode.

Quasar said:

Oooh, yay! I forgot about that game. I also like the older Bullfrog games that the gameplay concept was based off of, namely Theme Park and Theme Hospital. Especially Theme Hospital. DK2 was extremely mediocre, sadly.

Not sure how I managed to forget, since I'm playing it all the time, but I'm also currently completely addicted to Travian.

DooMAD said:

Not sure how I managed to forget, since I'm playing it all the time, but I'm also currently completely addicted to Travian.

Shit,I tried playing it but theres abunch of assholes on there with massive armies that keep sacking my village.So I'm just gonna stick to runescape.

Yeah, the only easy way to get into a strong position is to join a new server right when it starts and make sure you keep up with your immediate neighbours, if not wipe them out entirely. That, and get into a good alliance.

Screw it I just kinda said to hell with it.I'm just gonna stick to Runescape,been on there since 2000 anyways.Back when they still had classes.

Anything for the GBA by Intelligent Systems. The Advance Wars and Fire Emblem series especially.

I love StarCraft (and the expansion).

In fact, besides playing, I've been watching a lot of StarCraft pro games lately. It's awesome entertainment, especially with English commentary. There is a lot of it on YouTube; see for example the VioleTAK account and Cholera's commentaries.

Danarchy said:

Here's a game that probably no one's played but I find oddly fun: Majesty: The Fantasy Kingdom Sim.

I remember reading about this a while back in PCgamer,I've been looking for it ever since.Thanks for the info dan.

EDIT:Kingdom under fire is among my all time favorites,especially the Xbox version.

Danarchy said:

Here's a game that probably no one's played but I find oddly fun: Majesty: The Fantasy Kingdom Sim.

I got this. It's very fun, though some of the harder levels are extremely tough. I would of mentioned this but it's not really an RTS.

Well this thread is about strategy games in general, not just RTSs.

And yeah, it gets pretty nuts near the end. The last level was nigh-impossible. I even had trouble beating it with cheat codes.

Most recent strategy game that really sucked me in was Star Trek Conquest for the Wii. Once you beat the game with every race in a 6 way free for all it loses all it's appeal.

Another strategy game I like is just a couple years younger than Doom. Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance. So many Realms to choose from, multiple ways to win, and after you win you can keep on playing. Tonnes of options for realms control which really immerse you. This can also make the learning curve difficult, but you can there's 2 options to limit realm controls if you aren't ready for Expert.

You can control the battles out on the battlefield mode or let the computer handle them. There's also an adventure mode where you can take your Regent and Lieutenants into Dungeons. Go dungeon crawling and loot items which can help you out with the other two modes of play. One of my all time favorites from the strategy genre. Upon playing it you will either love or hate it.