• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
herooftime1000

The many ways to die.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFkg5i8LzbQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmdsAQlDab4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TETdR0GckiA&feature=related

Though these are from an old video game, the deaths are fun to watch. King Arthur gets killed in many ways due to violence, stupidity, and sex.

While we are on the morbid topic, what is your video game death?

The vultures in Diablo 2, Act II, provided you hit them with a two handed axe for greater emphasis.

On the Sandtrap Map from Halo 3, Forge mode. My friend had put the map limit of explosive barrels and such all on one Elephant (those big thingies on either side of the map, my friend calls them Elephants, Im not too sure if this is the actual name...). If you shot one barrel, they'd all go off, sending the Elephant flying upwards (most of the time up on its front to then come slamming back down, but sometimes it flipped the 500ton thingamajig). Then, since I was bored, I decided to run under the reared up Elephant and let me be squashed for comic effect.

The Elephant comes crashing down, and the next thing I know, Im being catapulted across the map at 150-200 mph, hitting the edge of the map within a few seconds (its a big map mind you). Now, since Master Cheif doesnt seem to die when falling from 75 stories up at terminal velocity (dont remember why, dont own the game, its my friend's), I landed in the middle of the jumpermine field. I land, run toward the combat area, and the next thing I know I see a tiny metal ball pop up in front of my face and explode.

Ichor said:

one of my favorite games

I'm glad this was posted, I always loved the log-impalement one the best. God, good game.

I love old Sierra games. They start with a threadbare and extremely linear plot then see how many ways they can kill the central character. :-)

Then of course there's the Dragon's Lair games

Is that Chrysalis? WTF is with the end?

Anyway, I think I loved the Space Quest games that had narration the best. Something about the deadpan narrator talking about the horrible ways you die.

Kinda reminds me of that flash game on adultswim.com called 5 minutes to kill yourself(I think that's the name)
Of course my all time favorite way to die is a Paper cutter

Larry games (especially Larry 2) had plenty of corny ways to die.

Another World was extremely punishing....and it had both many ways of dy
ing as well as an accurate portrayal of them.

Lemmings and Infernal Runner weren't joking, either, although the cake probably goes to the infamous "Doctor Jeckyll and Mister Hyde" on the NES. Dragon's Lair on the NES has many ways to die, coupled with very bad controls and a single death animation for each death....which is probably the worst aspect of the game.

And let's not forget the hilarious and varied death of Battle Chess's pieces ;-)

herooftime1000 said:

Wow, Death by boobies. I'm sure that's how ever man wants to go.

*raises hand*

In response to Ichor's movie of Eternal Champions:Next time they should have some Dethklok playing in the background.

In reference to the original post: I'm amused by how eager God is to kill Arthur with a portcullis.

Don't forget Bubsy The Bobcat on the Megadrive, loads of things could kill you, and there was many varied death animations, like spiky things would make him burst like a baloon and fly away, "crushing" things would roll him flat, electricity would make him "flash skeleton" etc etc. But then you had 9 lives at the start of the game and i beleive there was even a few powerups that gave you 12 extra lives (!) so the difficulty actually balanced quite well.

Nice to see the Eternal Champions deaths... my brother had it, and we never knew the exact way to activate the fatalities so only got them by luck. I also always thought there was only one per arena and never even knew about different characters having specific "arena independent" ones.

The varied deaths in the MK series go without saying, and if i remember rightly Primal Rage (one of the goriest games ever, MK with dinosaurs basically) had some decent ones, though often they where cartoony compared to the brutal nature of the fighting itself. You also had "followers" (cavemen) who would mill around the battle area and who could be killed, or eaten for extra health and i even think could be thrown at opponents. There was also a mini-game where they'd line up and you could bowl at them

I don't know about best death, but the worst for me is when you fall down a deep chasm in hexen. the first game to make me shudder crossing a narrow catwalk.

Pitch-black pits suck even more. Even more if they're repeated in pwads.

Best death? When you become a "former human" in Doom. :)

printz said:

Best death? When you become a "former human" in Doom. :)

*This* close to giving up my dignity and making a Repercussions quote.

The silly thing about this is that I believe some of these deaths are worse than some of today's M rated games simply for the fact that some of these left so much up to the imagination.

For anyone that has ROTT, try this:

1. Play a normal game (this way you can choose whatever map you want and use the CHOJIN cheat code).
2. Find a nice, long hallway and kill everything in and around it.
3. Using CHOJIN, hit the Insert ke to select the flamewall.
4. Stand at one end of the hall.
5. Type CHOJIN again to turn off god mode.
6. Aim at the far end of the hall, and look up as much as you can (about as much as Heretic or Hexen would allow).
7. Fire the flamewall, and immediately run toward the other end of the hall (hit PgUp or PgDown to center your view if you need to).
8. If you did this right, you should outrun the missile. It will land behind you, causing the flames to pass through you, turning you into a nice, pile of burnt bones.

Ichor said:

For anyone that has ROTT, try this:

Heh, that reminds me of the way in DN3D to kill yourself with the RPG without using a teleporter. Needless to say, it involves steroids.