Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kaiser

Doom64 EX (Feedback build) Now at v1.1c

Kaiser said:

I am not including bulky mp3 wads. I hate them, and I always will.

I stopped having problems with the music after setting it's priority to low but...would it be possible to make the Absolution TC music wads compatible with this? They're already compiled and they should still be available for download (I guess :P).

Kaiser said:

Are integrated video cards becoming a trend or something in this community or something? You're like the fourth person to have this..

Its a trend in cheap dell computers.

Actually, Doomsday has supported this since 1.9.0-beta4 in preparation for jDoom64 (which is currently in development). Its already available in jDoom and jHeretic with support in jHexen coming in beta7.

Good to know.

from what i have seen of this, kick ass

unfortunately the the game lags constantly for me and i have no idea why

if it helps any my system is

OS XP
CPU 2 Ghz
RAM 512
DirectX latest possible
Graphics Card ATi Radeon XPress 200m *latest drivers*

it may be the ATi card, but it runs Doom 3 and Quake 4 just fine...

edit - set the music to idle and no lag... not sure whats up with that...

udderdude said:

Tried it and so far it's awesome. Generating a .wad from the N64 ROM is pretty leet in itself.

Unfortuently, NOT everything is extracted from the rom. Some data gathered from savestates was included with the zip because I have no clue how they're extracted from the rom.

Wills said:

Does this port have the legendary ultra-secret?

The legendary ultra-secret is a lie. I've checked.

hnsolo77 said:

from what i have seen of this, kick ass

unfortunately the the game lags constantly for me and i have no idea why

if it helps any my system is

OS XP
CPU 2 Ghz
RAM 512
DirectX latest possible
Graphics Card ATi Radeon XPress 200m *latest drivers*

it may be the ATi card, but it runs Doom 3 and Quake 4 just fine...

edit - set the music to idle and no lag... not sure whats up with that...

Yeah, the thing is that Doom64 EX also contains half of the Project 64 emulator code to playback the music, so its like running two heavily CPU games at once.

Do you also get no lag if you turn off the music? As for the IDLE option, it may be inaccurate as IDLE is suppose to turn the music completly off. IDLE could be priority 1 instead of 0 which I originally thought.

yeah its completely off and plays at full speed

perhaps adding an option in the config file to disable using the music in the wad and using mp3 music from a wad for it. i already have the music wad in my absolution folder anyway as do most other people

also as a feature suggestion is it plausible to add joypad support?

Da Spadger said:

My save game makes 1.1 crash. D:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rgj4x9

The iwad was based off a rom file the same size as mentioned in the readme. (8,388,608 bytes)

What map is this?

Edit: Nevermind. Fixed the problem. PM me if you would like to try out the latest build.

hnsolo77 said:

yeah its completely off and plays at full speed

perhaps adding an option in the config file to disable using the music in the wad and using mp3 music from a wad for it. i already have the music wad in my absolution folder anyway as do most other people

also as a feature suggestion is it plausible to add joypad support?

No music wads. I hate them and always will. If having a internal emulator continues to be this bad, then the USFs will have to be cached in memory instead of being streamed by the emulator.

Also I am assuming joystick support already works, since Doom3D already got this implemented.

i tried binding keys but it did not, and i could not find an option to enable the gamepad

perhaps i should look at the config file

edit - found it in the config, activated it and i can bind all but the analog sticks and the D-Pad so no real use there...

why do i have the feeling that the engine hates me?

There are several Nintendo 64 Doom 64 offerings on EBay for about five quid and it might even be possible to find it in bargain bins or whatever.

However, two questions:

How to identify *from the game packaging alone* a version of the cartridge containing a ROM that Doom64Ex works with?

How to get the file off of the cartridge into a PC without a console (or expensive professional ROM burner/debugger - god I haven't used one of those for nearly 20 years :) )?

Personally, I've never bothered actually creating rom images myself. Although legally questionable I feel morally happy to use a version of the rom I found online (on a very questionable site) because I actually own a copy of the original game. Make of that what you will.

DaniJ said:

Personally, I've never bothered actually creating rom images myself. Although legally questionable I feel morally happy to use a version of the rom I found online (on a very questionable site) because I actually own a copy of the original game. Make of that what you will.

same here, if ive paid for the game i have no qualms downloading it

New feedback build is out (1.1b) which has a good portion of bugs fixed. As aways check out the first post for the link and information about what has been changed/updated.

Is it just me or has the SVN repository on Sourceforge stopped working?

I'm using the latest version and -split isn't working for me. It just crashes the game before boot.

I tried -split, -split 2, etc.

Using Windows Vista 32bit.

BlackFish said:

I'm using the latest version and -split isn't working for me. It just crashes the game before boot.

I tried -split, -split 2, etc.

Using Windows Vista 32bit.

The levels don't have players 2~4 added unfortuently. Sorry about that..

I need to add an error message to report if there's a case where there is no multiplayer things.

Gez said:

Is it just me or has the SVN repository on Sourceforge stopped working?

It appears to be sourceforge site related. Probably unavailable for global maintanence or something.

KingofFlames said:

Will this have LAN play, for people like me who don't like splitscreen on a PC?

In the future, yes. Right now Splitscreen has been tested and for the most part, its working. Only problem is the lack of player starts and proper input support for four players. Obviously, keyboard+mouse isn't going to cut it, so I'll need to add better joystick support or something along the line...

Kaiser said:I'll need to add better joystick support or something along the line... [/B]

as long as I can use my analog sticks I'll be a happy camper

also with the new version I can run music at the lowest setting without lag, this is indeed an improvment

...Also, the previous Doom64 TC in jdoom had jdoom's blood effects (my brother still beleives doom64 was gorier than playstation doom as a result), and i beleive it also had some all-new monsters not found in doom64, such as super-cacodemons and nightmare spectres (from Playstation doom, but the shape was based on the D64 demon, obviosuly)

This is very cool. Thanks, Kaiser. =)

I did stumble into quite a few problems however.

Like several others, I had a few problems with loading saved games occasionally. The problem seems entirely random; causing the game to crash. Generally after a crash, I could relaunch the game and the save state would then work. There was only one instance I was thrown all the way back because I couldn't load from a saved game.

Some of the other problems have also been mentioned previously with mouse / gamepad support, the menu text blurring with the background credit text and the incorrect kills/secrets/items ratio tallies as well as the sound bug when items are being calculated. Mostly anesthetic things really.

There were three things gameplay-wise I noticed however. Monsters seem to spawn incorrectly, very often on top of each other, which results in them being unable to move until you kill one of the monsters and allow the other one to move freely.

The second one may be my imagination, but the hit detection, specifically the size of the player sprite or Doom marine, seems off. Some of the jumps were many times harder to make than I remember them being on the actual Doom 64 rom on N64.

The final problem was pretty glaring. On map 28, "The Absolution," only one of the gateways can be closed using the demon artifacts despite having all three artifacts and clicking all three switches. I'm not entirely sure what is going on there, but I know I clicked the switches because you are unable to click them again (as well as them making the accompanying sound). The switches that do not close the gates also do not recede into the ground like they should.

All in all it was really fun to blast through it all again. Nice work!

Edit: Most of these problems seem like they'll be fixed in the next release. Thanks again.

XIX IX VII XIII I said:

Like several others, I had a few problems with loading saved games occasionally. The problem seems entirely random; causing the game to crash. Generally after a crash, I could relaunch the game and the save state would then work. There was only one instance I was thrown all the way back because I couldn't load from a saved game.

Can you provide me the save game file? Also tell me what map, and what was the last thing you did before saving.

Also, if you can remember, in the original N64 game, what happens if you try to activate all artifact switches immediately one after another? Does the switch not be 'useable' until the current portal has fully closed or are you able to trigger all three portal closing events simultaneously?

Hey, following the DOOM64 II thread I got interested in modding for this, mainly creating new monsters for someone to use. I really have no clue about how to mod for DOOM3d, and much less for this. I'd like to ask if it's possible to add new monsters to DOOM64 Ex. If so I'd like to know if dehacked could work (I'm not interested in doing complex creatures). I'm also curious if this DOOM64 port use the DOOM.exe monster slots or the creatures use new entries and I could use all DOOM.exe monster slots for this.

The crashing save file is here:

Crashing Save Game

I can't remember exactly which map this was, but I am rather sure it's map 18, Spawned Fear. All I had done was spawned into the map and saved. Some of my other save-files have crashed, but as I said, it seems random and other than this file, I can't get any of them to consistently crash.

Concerning the Absolution, you need to click each switch individually, which then closes the corresponding portal. The portal always closed immediately, crushing and instantly killing any monster still in the portal in the actual Doom 64 game, but that isn't happening here. There is an orange, blue and purple colored switch (for each demon artifact).

I ran the map again and every attempt I can only close the blue portal (the middle one) and it would very often get stuck if a monster was still in the portal until you killed it. It may be coincidence or something completely unrelated, but my initial thought was perhaps the switches don't register the purple and orange switches because the usable key options (as far as the engine is concerned) are red, yellow and blue.

Keep in mind you cannot even click the switches if you don't have the demon artifacts. It will tell you, "You lack the ability to activate it."

At any rate, here is the map 28, The Absolution save-file with all three artifacts so you can test it yourself:

The Absolution

Vegeta said:

Hey, following the DOOM64 II thread I got interested in modding for this, mainly creating new monsters for someone to use. I really have no clue about how to mod for DOOM3d, and much less for this. I'd like to ask if it's possible to add new monsters to DOOM64 Ex. If so I'd like to know if dehacked could work (I'm not interested in doing complex creatures). I'm also curious if this DOOM64 port use the DOOM.exe monster slots or the creatures use new entries and I could use all DOOM.exe monster slots for this.

Neither of this is possible because 1. Doom64 EX is based on the original vanilla Doom code and thus, dehacked is not supported and 2. All thing info/states are hardcoded.

This could be something I can add on the features wishlist however, but this would be a huge task to implement. D64EX is still in its 'infancy' state in terms of modding features, so there's not a whole lot of things that can be customized at the moment.