Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RestlessRodent

ReMooD 0.7b Released

ReMooD is a source port off Doom Legacy 1.42 which aims to provide a classic Doom Legacy experience with some extras. Currently, it works natively on both 32-bit and 64-bit architectures on either Windows or Linux. This new version enables 4 players to play on a single screen and also contains an experimental personalized profile system.

The best thing about the classic Doom Legacy was the multiplayer. Doom Connector 2 + Legacy + Cooperative = teh win.

Interesting. We are used to having ports that try to capture that classic Vanilla Doom feeling, but now we are moving into a new phase where ports come out to try and capture that classic feeling of... an earlier version of the port? O_o

I don't get it either, but maybe I'm just missing something since I've never played ReMooD before...

In other news, CHOCOLATE BOOM! Just kidding.

More or less; Chocolate MBF. PrBoom v2.02 is truly Chocolate Boom.

It's not that relevant, though, considering how well (current) PrBoom handles Boom stuff.

4 player splitscreen? This will be good for college if I get more stuff. :)

edit: it seems you need joy2key to take advantage of all 4 screens, I can deal with that. :P

DoomKn1ght said:

And btw, what does hapenning to Legacy2?
Wasn't it supposed to have 4 player splitscreen?

It has 16 player splitscreen last I heard.

I stopped hanging around the Legacy forums sometime ago - it was obvious then that Legacy2 wasn't going anywhere and with the forums dead...

I hardly play Doom now, if I do, I'm just tinkering with Doom Builder and GzDoom.

Enjay said:

Interesting. We are used to having ports that try to capture that classic Vanilla Doom feeling, but now we are moving into a new phase where ports come out to try and capture that classic feeling of... an earlier version of the port? O_o

Sort of makes sense, though the current Legacy is far too out of date to really be that comparable to other ports now.

I remember playing earlier versions and enjoying it more than other ports. Mind you, I'm probably looking through rose-colored glasses.

Wasn't Legacy the first to introduce 32 players (and subsequently broke voodoo dolls)?

Well, my initial impression was "hey, they really have captured that classic Legacy feel" because I thought it had crashed. But no, it had merely defaulted to 320x200 full screen but (presumably) using Windows drivers - which many modern desktops do not support. So I just got a blank screen and a friendly message from my monitor telling me that power saving would start any second. So, I changed the cfg to read Fullscreen "No" and tried again. I went through the options and set it to fullscreen and 1024x768, which ran painfully slow, so I put it down to 640x480 and it ran a bit better. Then I quit and was delighted to find that, when I restarted it, it had gone back to the default 320x200 blank screen. :/

Also, I absolutely detest the rigmarole you have to go through to start a new game from the menu. OK, I get that they are trying to allow options, but I just want new game > skill choice > play. I don't want new game > scroll through a bunch of choices > enter > scroll through more choices > enter > play. At least make the new menus start in a position where hitting enter will just pass me on to the next menu rather than having me scroll down to what I will want to do 99.999% of the time: start a new game on map 01 with my normal settings. >:| Why mess with something that has worked for 15 years. If you want special game settings, put it in a special menu, or a custom launcher, or something.

And finally, I was disappointed to see that there was no support for, as far as I am concerned, the best reason to look back at older versions of legacy: the cool translucent water effect. If you have an old enough version of Legacy, you can see it in this WAD

http://doomlegacy.sourceforge.net/zips/waterlab.zip

and if not, you can just about see it (thanks to YouTube's blurryness) in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTH4r6jt-ZU

[edit] Oh yeah, and when I quit the second time, all my WAD file icons had changed to something else. Rather strangely, it was the icon for the Duke Nukem hi-res texture pack. Anyway, I had to restart explorer to get them back to normal. [/edit]

Enjay said:

Well, my initial impression was "hey, they really have captured that classic Legacy feel" because I thought it had crashed. But no, it had merely defaulted to 320x200 full screen but (presumably) using Windows drivers - which many modern desktops do not support. So I just got a blank screen and a friendly message from my monitor telling me that power saving would start any second. So, I changed the cfg to read Fullscreen "No" and tried again. I went through the options and set it to fullscreen and 1024x768, which ran painfully slow, so I put it down to 640x480 and it ran a bit better. Then I quit and was delighted to find that, when I restarted it, it had gone back to the default 320x200 blank screen. :/

You need to press D to set the new mode that you just changed to.

GhostlyDeath said:

You need to press D to set the new mode that you just changed to.

Doh! I remember doing that now. It's been a while since I used a port that required me to confirm a resolution change in that manner. Thanks.

I still think defaulting to a mode that many modern machines can't switch to is a mistake though. (I think NVidia removed support for the mode quite a few driver versions ago now.) If you want to keep the 320x200 default, then why not default to windowed? OK, so it will look like a postage stamp on most modern displays, but at least it will be visible and people who can use it, and who want to, can switch to full screen easily enough.

Some modern games require you to do the Windows thing when you change resolution.

"The changes you made will revert in 15 seconds, do you want to keep them? Y/N"

onestly think that's the best way to do it. If something goes woopsie, then it'll revert. But you won't miss the fact that it will either.

Ahh i remember classic legacy, it ran brilliantly in 800x600 (that was hi res then) on a not-the-best machine, had beautiful coronas that wouldn't cause lag even in 64 bit colour mode, didnt run like shit and had skyboxes. Is this port like that?

Ive been reliably informed that legacy 2 is currently undergoing a code rewrite. Its not dead and im looking forward to it. I just wish they would stop adding new features and give us a stable release soon.

from what I can see there isnt a lot of life left in any of the ports just now, nobody is mapping anymore.

Plonker said:

Ive been reliably informed that legacy 2 is currently undergoing a code rewrite.

If they are working on it it's completely non-public. Their SVN repository hasn't seen any updates for 6 months.

I guess there must be a lot of code to re-write. Shit I hope they didnt just give up, I put a lot of maps on hold until I see what new features I can use in Legacy 2. I could have finished them for the old legacy years ago and even made zdoom versions with time to spare.