Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
esco

Starting a new project... need some expert info first though....

Well, it's been some time since I've put out anything at all. And I decided after playin' most of AV dat I should try and start on mah shit again. Unfortunately, I still gots several BIG problems holding me back from doing so:

1)No one has yet to release the Doom64 graphics YET!!!
2)I can't find a source port which allows for each sprite/texture/flat to have it's own specified palette or that allows for more than the base 256 colors in the palette to be used.

I plan on gettin' a digital camera a few months from now (around summer) and I was thinkin' of usin' it to take pics of the creatures/flats/items/textures on the screen, and then uploading them to my computer. It should be possible to adjust the TV in a way so dat the glare doesn't fuck up da pics. Is there anyone out there who knows if this technique would work right? For dat matter (since it's gonna take me at least a few months to get da camera), is there anyone out there who already gots a digital camera, and is interested in startin on dis shit in da meantime?

This is where mah 2nd problem comes into play.... does anyone know if there is a way to "get by" that annoying palette limitation? Is there any source port out there, which allows for more than 256 colors, or is anyone workin' on getting rid of dat annoying palette limitation? SO far, I haven't been able to find any source port dat let's you use more than 256 stinkin' colors!

It seems like quake 2 doesn't have this problem, and I know many newer games don't just have a lousy fuckin' 256-color palette (shit even, SNES GAMES don't for god's sake). Is there anyone workin' on dis shit or what?

Well, esco. What IS the projcet exactly? I'll help if I can, but all I know how to do is make levels.

Thanks for da offer Submerge, but right now I am just looking for the answer to the above two questions first. I've gots to gather some info FIRST, before I start talkin' about what I want to do.

I'll put it dis way for now dawg; if I can't find what I need, I plan on just redoing my sounds wad so the volume levels on the sounds are equal to the volume on the ones in doom 2, and maybe doing some texture work so that some "choppy" lookin' graphics flow smoother. I may also redo some of the lettering gaphics, so they have dat doom 64 style to them, and maybe just a little messing around with da zdoom source code.

Of course, if I can get my hands on the doom 64 graphics, or find a way to put graphics into doom 2 without them being limited to just ONE 256-COLOR PALETTE.. then I'm plannin' on doin' a LOT of things which ain't been done in a doom mod before!

But thanks for offering yo skills.... if I need a mapper, you'll be da first to know, dawg! :)

Well, it's been some time since I've released anything at all. I decided after playing most of AV that I should try and start releasing mediocre levels again. Unfortunately, I am poorly schooled, so:

1)It appears that someone has yet to release the Doom64 graphics!!!
2)I can't find a source port which allows for each sprite/texture/flat to have it's own specified palette or that allows for more than the base 256 colors in the palette to be used.

I plan on robbing a digital camera a few months from now (around summer when people are away from their homes on vacation) and I was thinking of using it to take pictures of the creatures/flats/items/textures on the screen, and then uploading them to my computer. It should be possible to adjust the TV in a way so that the glare doesn't spoil the pictures. Is there anyone out there that knows if this technique would work correctly? For that matter (since it's going to take me at least a few months to steal a camera), is there anyone out there who already owns a digital camera, and is interested in starting this project in the meantime?

This is where my poor education comes into play.... does anyone know if there is a way to "by-pass" that annoying palette limitation? Are there any source ports out there, which allows for more than 256 colors, or is anyone working on eliminating the annoying palette limitation? So far, I haven't been able to find any source port that allows you to use more than 256 colors!

It appears that quake 2 doesn't have this problem, and I know many newer games don't have a limiting 256-color palette (bugger me, even SNES GAMES don't for God's sake). Is there anyone working on this problem?

Dang, you must really be bored, abuelito! And you translated wrong again.... oh well, I kinda had trouble describing what I'm looking for anyways, and I think you just helped me clarify it a little for others... thanks!

If anyone could rip the graphics off of DooM 64, It'd be elbryan42. He's got the neccessary skills and such, I believe.

aight then, dat still leaves da problem with the lmiting color palette in doom. It would be cool if at least you could specify a palette for each sprite, or better yet.... could use 16-bit color at least. Does anybody know of a source port with this, or one that is being worked on? Any ideas on why this hasn't been implemented yet, especially considering how many limitations it puts on making and insertin' in new graphics into da wad.

And by da way.... any of ya'll peeps know which source port allows you to use the "warping" effect from quake 2 on floors and ceilings? This effect is constantly used on water/lava/mud/acid throughout q2, and I could have sworn I saw a source port for doom wit da same feature.... any ideas?

About photosource. The best way to archieve diffuse, uniform lighting over the pic so you don't get to see those nasty spots of darkness/lightness tiling all over the place, is to use the Photoshop Filter "High Pass", followed by some contrast corrections.

Uh ZD, thanks for da help man, but dat's not da problem I'm having (although dat advice will come in handy).

Maybe I'm not explainin' mahself too good.... let me try again. What I meant was let's say you take da heresiarch's pic from hexen and put it into doom. You'll notice dat da purple on his robe will be converted to navy blue. WHY? Because doom has very little purple in it's color palette. So it picks da closest thing it can find in the DOOM palette which is navy blue in this case.

Now here's what needed: I wanted to know if anyone has found a way AROUND dis color palette limitation. For example, adding 16-bit color support for sprites/textures etc, instead of bein' limited to an 8-bit 256 color palette (which sucks!). Or if we could at least use DIFFERENT palettes for each sprite, then some colors wouldn't come out so fucked up. I want to use the color ALREADY in doom, and be able to use newer colors so dat mah pics don't come out all fucked up in doom. I don't think this has been implemented yet, in any of da source mods and I was wondering why?

EDIT: ebola: naw dawg, it hasn't. But some things don't exactly have a "ghetto translation" such as da techincal terms listed above. By da way.... good ta see ya again, where ya been at?

Looks like Esco's "dialect" have been heavily reduced while he was gone.

hmm. Now that you come to mention it.

There's no way to avoid Doom's pallete. The engine works with a couple of indexed palletes stored on the wad, while the sprites lose all the pallete information they have in their TGA/BMP formats, turning into RAW to reduce each file's size by approx 768 bytes.

Until a source port specifically comes with pk3/zip compatibility as a valid "resource wad", we won't see the kind of stuff you're looking for. But don't worry, I suppose Randy will do that kind of stuff once 1.23 FINAL is out. Why don't you spam several forums and ask for that feature?

You can add images to doom w/o having to remove the color pallette. DoomEd4.2 can do this (it'll add the format as is, wich means that it'll keep the attibutes of the fomat the image was saved in.). But so far no doom port support it afaik.

I suppose Legacy or Jdoom would be the first to have this feature. It's not possible at 8 bpp, and apparently Zdoom doesn't go beyond that.

It's possible to tweak the base palette while keeping it compatible with the DOOM(2) IWAD resources. It is of course only useful if you want to make most stuff new (but using things like sprites from the original WAD).

For example, you could try reducing the saturation of blue, green and red, and modify the browns a little. Outcome might be cool.

It's possible to tweak the base palette while keeping it compatible with the DOOM(2) IWAD resources. It is of course only useful if you want to make most stuff new (but using things like sprites from the original WAD).

For example, you could try reducing the saturation of blue, green and red, and modify the browns a little. Outcome might be cool.

it certainly gives it a different theme. That one in neotex.wad rules :)

Well, Neotex pal basically modifies the high-saturated hues. You could do lots more to it if you really cared...

Well, Neotex pal basically modifies the high-saturated hues. You could do lots more to it if you really cared...

start caring :)

ok

hurrah! :) What do you expect could be done with it? If it supported some more orange maybe..?

Well, when I start it, I'll start off with getting it down to the limited PC Doom pallete. That's the hard problem. Some of the enemies are no problem (like the demon) but some others (like the mancubus) will be a problem. Sure, you can use Photoshop or an equivilent program to dummy down the pallete, but the trick is getting a lower variety of colors and have the graphics not turning out looking like shit.

Well, if you're actually going to rip all the sprites from DOOM64, then you should really use an all-new palette.

Well, when I start it, I'll start off with getting it down to the limited PC Doom pallete. That's the hard problem. Some of the enemies are no problem (like the demon) but some others (like the mancubus) will be a problem. Sure, you can use Photoshop or an equivilent program to dummy down the pallete, but the trick is getting a lower variety of colors and have the graphics not turning out looking like shit.

damn. That sounds like quite a job! Good luck on it.