Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

A New Score for Doom

Word on the street from BilboHicks is that there's a new way to play Doom in single player and co-op modes - ScoreDoom. Based on GZDoom, this modification adds a scoring system to both play modes, and also lets you compete against other players in cooperative mode.

Pretty psyched about this...it seems awesome.I might have to put off my date night for this.One question...can we play pwads like Eternal doom and Icarus?What about wads that are scripted like Daedlus (sp?) and KDIZD?

If the wad was coop-compatible before it will be now. If it wasn't, it won't be.

In SP, you can play anything you want, or else it would be a pretty useless port.

THANKS!

Also..

I once had the idea for something like doom statistics: percentage of misses/hits overal/per weapon/per monster, how many monsters (for each type or overall) has the player killed, how many monsters according to weapon, how many damage inflict. Weapon <=> Monster <=> Damage <=> Kills <=> Deaths combination of statistics. Either for a level, an episode and those statistics to be accumulating if I play the same levels for more times, not just high scores but overall (e.g. I'd like to know how many imps have I killed with the pistol in my life). Of course I was too lazy to take a source port and code it myself. I am wondering if later versions of scoredoom would have something like that too?

Texas Libra said:

Please tell me you were only being facetious.

Yeah I was...wasnt really a date.We just watched star wars and swam.

all of that aside,scoredoom is awesome.

Haloless0320 said:

We just watched star wars

Definitely NOT a date, or a ruined one :P

Added ScoreDoom to the sourceports list.

Is this based on an older version of GZDoom? It does weird things like crash when I try to use particles and has no option for sprites looking more like in software mode (no paperthin-ness).

I like the concept but I have to say that the new monsters are either boring, overpowered, or out of place. Playing it with just normal Doom is the best. It also seems to work perfectly with Heretic, though Hexen breaks it, and I'm not even going to try it with Strife.

ler said:

Is this based on an older version of GZDoom? It does weird things like crash when I try to use particles and has no option for sprites looking more like in software mode (no paperthin-ness).

I like the concept but I have to say that the new monsters are either boring, overpowered, or out of place. Playing it with just normal Doom is the best. It also seems to work perfectly with Heretic, though Hexen breaks it, and I'm not even going to try it with Strife.

I agree,that seems to be the only problem I had with it.The monsters are pretty tough and I end up beating them(Or at least attempting)to death with my fists.

It hasnt crashed on me though...and I have all of the visual enhancements activated.

CodeImp said:

Definitely NOT a date, or a ruined one :P

Yeah,it wasnt much of a date.She had never seen star wars before so I had to expose her to the awesomeness of Boba Fett.Shouldve seen my face when she said she hadnt seen star wars.

ler said:

Hi. Its based on GZdoom 1.0.29, and I literally didn't change anything from GZDoom 1.0.29 except add the scoring code, HUD additions and some code to support the custom monsters the way I wanted them. Hmmn, that is odd that it is crashing with particles, since I never noticed that. What is your 'Blood Type' & 'Bullet Puff Type' set to? Are you using custom monsters? Does it always crash at the same place?
If you want, perhaps you can email me via the forums with the answers and attach your ini file too and when I get some time I can take a look.

Whenever I got more organized, I could use svn and keep ScoreDoom utilizing newer gzdoom versions, but at least afaik, 1.0.29 was a very stable build.

@Optimus: I never really thought of adding anything that detailed, but will keep those ideas in mind whenever I get time to work on a newer version.

@Haloless0320: Glad you liked it.

Thanks for the feedback about the custom monsters too. I'm glad I decided to finally move them & the artifacts into a separate add-on pack, since obviously it's not to everyones taste.
And as far as working with Heretic & Hexen, I gave up on that early on, but I'm happy to hear that Heretic works with it at least! :-)

Oh yeah, and Doom-wise, it is compatible with anything that gzdoom is compatible with (Doom, Boom, ZDoom and even a lot of Legacy wads). When using newer zdoom wads like Demon Eclipse, and even KDIZD, that have a ton of custom content, then don't use ScoreDoom's custom monsters or artifacts.

Haloless0320 said:

Yeah,it wasnt much of a date.She had never seen star wars before so I had to expose her to the awesomeness of Boba Fett.Shouldve seen my face when she said she hadnt seen star wars.

Hehe, that should be part of the fun, watching it all over again with a newbie.

BilboHicks said:

Hehe, that should be part of the fun, watching it all over again with a newbie.

Yeah really...I just thought everyone had seen the Original trilogy.She hasn't even seen LOTR,Thats just crazy.

I only have one question...The opengl options don't work for me.Eveytime I open it with opengl turned on it crashes.(I found out that it also happens with gzdoom now...wtf???)

Haloless0320 said:

Yeah really...I just thought everyone had seen the Original trilogy.She hasn't even seen LOTR,Thats just crazy.

I only have one question...The opengl options don't work for me.Eveytime I open it with opengl turned on it crashes.(I found out that it also happens with gzdoom now...wtf???)

You running gzdoom in the same directory? I havent noticed this before, but when I get home this evening I will take a look to see if happens for me. I may PM you for more information.

Scoredoom is in it's own file,copied the wads from my GZdoom file.I already gave someone my video card specs.It didnt start this until after I reinstalled vista.And I couldnt find anymore driver updates.
Nvidia GeForce 6150 Le,128 ram
PM me and i'll send you the error info.

Hmmn, one of the reasons I updated to the gzdoom 1.0.29 codebase was Graf Zahl's support for vista in it. Im wondering if the version of vista and the video card drivers are the same as before you reinstalled.
Also I take it that you have the latest version of gzdoom installed, which is also failing? If you dont have the latest version of gzdoom, I would grab it and test with that also.

I'm still on XP, but will PM you, and you can send me the error info and answers there.

Well I checked it out last night and it's not just GZdoom where the opengl isn't working.The same goes for Jedi Academy and Painkiller's video has some glitches going on.Tried to mess with the refresh rate and still no luck.
I did found out that the driver for the Nvidia is actually supposed to be installed on XP and not Vista.There are no video card drivers for Vista on the driver CD...these guys at dell REALLY know what they're doing.
From now on I'm building my computers...

Haloless0320 said:

Well I checked it out last night and it's not just GZdoom where the opengl isn't working.The same goes for Jedi Academy and Painkiller's video has some glitches going on.Tried to mess with the refresh rate and still no luck.
I did found out that the driver for the Nvidia is actually supposed to be installed on XP and not Vista.There are no video card drivers for Vista on the driver CD...these guys at dell REALLY know what they're doing.
From now on I'm building my computers...

Glad you finally found the problem. I take it that Nvidia had the correct drivers.

BilboHicks said:

Glad you finally found the problem. I take it that Nvidia had the correct drivers.

Yeah,I found a few I'm just gonna go through the whole trial and error period now and see which one works.

It sounds like you've got things sorted, but there was a version of GZdoom where it would crash if the particles were set to one of the modes, but not the others. I forget the details though.

Nope...I dont have it figured out.

@BilboHicks: I PM'd you the error report,take a look at it and see what you think.

@Enjay: If you want the error code let me know and I'll PM it to you as well,I'd like to get this resolved.

I have a problem with the port... when using the extra monsters, if you are using a map file with a lot of monsters (in this case the hell knights) the scoredoom will replace some of them with the thor monsters (wizards-like), when those monsters are killed, they left their dead body with a swirling blue thing... and when you have enough of those thors dead around... well, the machine goes slooooow as hell, I have checked and disable all video/opengl options and the problem persists. I am sure that the drop of speed ingame is caused by them, because when I pick up an time stop sphere power-up, the game's speed returns to normal in an instant... then becomes slugish again when the effect fades... I could tell you that you can check this if you using a map like holyhell (or go insane using nuts.wad, after every monster in the map's first part was dead, the poor game was still slowed).
If there is a way to modify this monster dead body, I guess it could solve my problem.
I know, awful my english is. **

alvinhere said:

Your English is great, be proud :)

alvinhere said:

I have a problem with the port... when using the extra monsters, if you are using a map file with a lot of monsters (in this case the hell knights) the scoredoom will replace some of them with the thor monsters (wizards-like), when those monsters are killed, they left their dead body with a swirling blue thing... and when you have enough of those thors dead around... well, the machine goes slooooow as hell, I have checked and disable all video/opengl options and the problem persists. I am sure that the drop of speed ingame is caused by them, because when I pick up an time stop sphere power-up, the game's speed returns to normal in an instant... then becomes slugish again when the effect fades... I could tell you that you can check this if you using a map like holyhell (or go insane using nuts.wad, after every monster in the map's first part was dead, the poor game was still slowed).
If there is a way to modify this monster dead body, I guess it could solve my problem.

Thanks for the info. Not too surprised that the Thor eats more system resources than most monsters. What are your system specs?

My specs: AMD phenom 9550, 2gb ram,
I cant remember the video card model, I dont have the box... its a nvidia 8x00 series (that have some glitch when having to much light-color efects it jumps some frames in a weird way, but that is when all monsters are shooting, not when everyone is dead :) )

I play at 1280x1024 with practically all opengl options on, but I have tested playing it with lower res without the opengl when facing the "lag-like" problem.

When I use the FREEZE prompt command, the velocity of the game is restaured (I guess because those blue fireball stop rotating, the same as the time sphere powerup).

You cant test the problem using a map with many hell knights in the same room (after killing them), I have used the hollyhell.wad (one of the infamous wads of all time in the doomworld site) and nuts.wad (one map with 5k+ monsters in the same room)

Gzscoredoom instantly crashes when you hit any monster.

Intel Pentium 4 2.0ghz
512mb [rimm] ram
geforce 5200fx 256mb
windows xp sp2
running at 1024x768

Again, that sounds like it could be to do with particles. Do you have blood set to produce any particles? If so, try switching them off (and for bullet puffs too) or try changing the way particles are rendered and see if that makes any difference. As I said, there was a problem with particles and GZdoom a few revisions ago and it could seem like it was to do with shooting things because as soon as you shot, particles were produced and the game crashed instantly.

@Haloless0320 sorry, I didn't see your reply until just now. The error code/crash report would be of little use to me but it might mean something to BilboHicks if he still has the information about his compile that would help track things down.

Well, apart from my problem when having too many dead Thors monsters, I have played gzscoredoom with a friend using the Plutonia wad, getting some interesting moments: :)

at second map, when a knight ghost started reviving hell knights:
http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/3425/doom0007iz0.jpg
later, at the archvile laberint:
http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/2374/doom0001eh0.jpg

I want to ask for a dead body count for this port... a player's dead counter.
I have always wonder how many times I have died in a level ;)

Yes the particle type should never be set to square, since the version of gzdoom I'm using crashes when it is selected. This will be fixed in the next version. The new version v1.98r7 has a fix for the Thor.

I'm glad players are co-oping with it, but I'm sorry to see it being outrageously hard as well. Thanks for the feedback. You can always play without the custom monsters.
When playing with custom monsters, I did make sure that health and ammo pickups were more potent, and the total ammo for each weapon was increased. Along with the artifacts, smart bomb and decreased potency of certain monsters, I figured that would be make it challenging, but not unreasonably so, with respect to regular doom. I should probably play more myself, which I plan to do with this version.
That ghost hell knight I believe was a Phantom, I didn't realize it could revive other monsters :-)