Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrick

Unreally Fast?

I just installed Unreal '99 on my computer and I have a problem. It moves fast. The game speed is set to 50% and it is still moving so fast that one tap on the keyboard will send you flying across a room. The game as a whole moves too fast, all the monsters, weapons, etc. Does anyone know what would cause it to run like that?

Heh, I have the same problem. I haven't been able to play it because it's either waaay too fast or (if I keep messing around with the game speed) too slow. Not sure how to fix it either :/

If your cpu clock is dynamic (like a laptop for saving power consumption) then UnrealEngine 1 will have timing issues with it
fix the clock, and try vsync

There's a paramater I used to fix this easy, but I forget the name of it. I think it was -cpuspeed something.

Google "Unreal Tournament runs too fast", you'll come up with loads of results and fixes.

I think you're thinking of UT2k3, AirRaid. :p

UT2k3 was really the low point of the franchise. It was a disaster at launch and for a while after. Then they went and released UT2k4, which was better in every way, but didn't offer it as a free upgrade for UT2k3. That really pissed me off at the time.

UT2k4 made up for all the problems present in 2k3 and was pretty good, but not as good as UT99. The biggest problem I had with 2k4 was that it felt more like Quake 3 than UT. Onslaught mode is awesome, though, and reason enough to own 2k4, besides the great mods that have been released for it.

AirRaid said:

But then, I really loved UT99.

So did I. It's still my favorite in the series.

I think the later UT games started to suffer when Epic focused more on graphics over gameplay. UT99 was better than Quake 3 solely because there was so much gameplay packed in it, and in a package that most people could run on their computers. Compare with UT3, which offers nothing new over previous installments and requires a beefy system to play. No thanks.

Snarboo said:

I think the later UT games started to suffer when Epic focused more on graphics over gameplay.

I think that's a fad with game designers right now.

"Gameplay? What's that? No, what we really need is KEWL GRAFECKS!!!"

It seems like the games are getting back to focusing on gameplay now that people are harder to impress with graphics, though.

Snarboo said:

I think the later UT games started to suffer when Epic focused more on graphics over gameplay.

Ironically, that was the whole point of Unreal, for the graphics and heavy 3dfx Voodoo promotions. UT wasn't very good for league play as anyone and i mean ANYONE can kill with a flak gun

Snarboo said:

Compare with UT3, which offers nothing new over previous installments and requires a beefy system to play. No thanks.

My computer is 4 years old and can run UT3 with everything on and looking fine and running fine around 50fps at 1280x1024. So what if i'm missing some stupid "Pixel Shader 3.0 bloom" on particle effects? It still looks like UT3.

leileilol said:

Ironically, that was the whole point of Unreal, for the graphics and heavy 3dfx Voodoo promotions.

I was actually going to mention that in my original post. While ironic in a sense, UT was actually fun and used the Unreal Engine 1 to good effect. Unreal, for all its atmosphere and great graphics, was kind of a weird, dull game. Still better than anything today, though.

UT wasn't very good for league play as anyone and i mean ANYONE can kill with a flak gun

Kind of like how everyone uses the rocket launcher and railgun in Quake, huh? :p

I played UT2004 quite a bit when it was in the golden age. I attended the main lan parties at MyU etc. Too bad UT3 died too soon.

In terms of skill, 1v1 competitive play was very complex believe it or not. The only easy thing about it was timing powerups.

Death-Destiny said:

I think that's a fad with game designers right now.

"Gameplay? What's that? No, what we really need is KEWL GRAFECKS!!!"

It seems like the games are getting back to focusing on gameplay now that people are harder to impress with graphics, though.

I've never understood that whole "graphics over gameplay" thing. There's a lot more to videogames then just graphics and gameplay.

There's atmosphere. That's what makes me love most games. :P

AirRaid said:

The thing is, UT2K4 sucks.

I disagree. I used to think the same thing until I bought the Unreal Anthology for kicks and UT2K4 was my favorite game on there. I really loved the node-connecting maps.

UT99 has a real problem with dual-core processors. When I run it on Windows, I have to toggle out to the Task Manager, and turn off CPU 1, and leave CPU 0 running for the UnrealTournament.exe process.

This is really freaking annoying, especially because when I run it on one of the dual-core Macs, there's no problems.

Back to the problem at hand, there are several fixes to this problem. The vsync and clock-throttling problems were mentioned above.

You might also want to try executing UT with a -cpuspeed=# switch, where # is the speed of your computer in megahertz. I'm not sure if it works with dual core processors. For that matter, what are your computer specs? That would help.

Oh yeah, and sometimes just setting it to Windows 95 or 98 compatability fixes the problem.

Aw crap, I was just thinking of reinstalling UT on my new computer. Now I gotta deal with UT not working properly on a multi-core CPU?

As an aside, there are updated D3D and OpenGL renderers designed for playing UT99 on more modern computers. An excellent starting point is at the UT99 BeyondUnreal forums.

Thanks for the links to the renderers, I was still using the default install ones.

About the dual-core problems: I tried for a while to find out how to write a batch script that would execute UnrealTournament.exe with only one CPU core from the start, but with Windows XP, apparently it can't be done. If you look into this, let me know if you find anything.

I find the easiest thing to do is to open task manager, then launch Unreal Tournament. When it starts up, wait for it to precache the zooming opening level scripted sequence, and hit alt+tab to switch out to the desktop and the task manager. Right click on UnrealTournament.exe in the Processes tab, and go to "Set Affinity" and uncheck the second (Probably CPU 1) CPU to disable it. Then, just alt+tab back into the game, and all should be fine.

Unreal Tournament is the only Unreal Tournament. The rest should have had a different name, in my opinion.

UT99 and UT2k4 were both great I think. I personally find them a little equal. 2k3 just wasn't very good... and UT3 was really disappointing. :(

sLydE said:

Unreal Tournament is the only Unreal Tournament. The rest should have had a different name, in my opinion.

pft, i still call ut "Botpack"

UT99 is far and away the best, which is odd. The more recent ones should be much better, but as DD said, "GRAFECKS" over gameplay. For the same reason, QIIIA is infinitely better than Quake 4, in every respect (except polygon count and shadows and other secondary things like that). The difference is in the subtleties of movement and firing and physics. One just feels "perfect" whereas the others feel somehow "not quite". QIIIA was just sublime and amazing to play. I still play it now. UT99 I haven't played in ages, but it has always been better than any of the more recent ones. The more recent ones of both franchises always felt plastic.... Like a meal at McDonnalds. Looks great, but leaves you hungry ten minutes later.

Actually I am way off topic. I have learned how to make UT99 run now though ... thanks guys.

Kyka said:

UT99 is far and away the best, which is odd. The more recent ones should be much better, but as DD said, "GRAFECKS" over gameplay.

You honestly think UT3 has good graphics?

It's all a matter of opinion. While I'm not a fag, I do think that UT99 is the best of the series. In fact, I don't really like QIIIA's twitch-shooter vibe. I respect everyone's own opinion, that's just how I feel.

caco_killer said:

You honestly think UT3 has good graphics?

No... I think that UT3 was neither really good nor really bad in that regard. I simply meant the comment more as a general thing: that the newer ones in the series seemed to focus more on graphics than on gameplay. Reading what I wrote earlier, I can see that it was a bit unclear as to what I meant.