Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Haloless0320

Redstar WolfTC Released

An account that overrules admin? The usually quiet but paranoid voice at the back of my head started screaming TRUSTED SYSTEMS - one of the reasons I want nothing to do with Vista. :(

Good luck with your re-build.

GreyGhost said:

An account that overrules admin? The usually quiet but paranoid voice at the back of my head started screaming TRUSTED SYSTEMS - one of the reasons I want nothing to do with Vista. :(

Good luck with your re-build.

Exactly...it's kinda sad when you spend $600 on a new comp and you don't even have full right to what you want on your comp.I had some screenies from the new map but I left it at home.I'm gonna stick them on the flashdrive this evening and upload them tomorrow.Originally the map got deleted in an error but I liked the layout so much I'm gonna try to do it all by memory.

Whats bad is that I tried test playing it but for some reason my opengl options wont work.Every time I set them up it causes gzdoom to freeze.

Something's definitely not happy. What graphics chipset are you using & is this with Win2k?

Nah,I screwed with Vista a bit and it's working well.
I believe I'm using an Nvidia Geforce 6150 le,128 on board ram...cant remember all the system specs.

^Something about that ceiling texture looks ugly. Perhaps if it was dark-gray-coloured instead of light-creamy-coloured, then it would seem less irritating.

I'm hoping those screenshots mean your opengl/gzdoom issues are sorted. Can't help much there - I'm using an ATI card.

Here's an update for everyone...I finally got the opengl to work again and I'm in the process of doing some last minute tweaks and work through wHackEd and XWE.Hopefully if everything goes well you guy's will be killing some Fascist bastards within the month.

Great work! Finally there's some optimistic news on this thing.
I'd be glad to play it, even if it only comes out to be a demo version with only 2 maps. I'd still take a peek because I can't resist. :)

Nope,I have to admit that theres been things that have impeded the project.to the point where I finally decided that the previous ambitions might have killed the project completely so I had to cut the project down to 10 levels.Even if I released it now it would me an episodes worth.It'd just be pretty bland cause I havent worked on the sector lighting and theres a few sprites that need some work.

Here it is...though it is not all finished.
I realized that I lost alot of work when my comp crapped out on me.And recently I have taken up a new project.I do intend on starting Redstar over using hexen format while using slumped and DecX.It's alot easier than trying to replace everything with wHackED...and I know it seems that this wad is a bit half assed but keep in mind it's my first project that I undertook.
Anyways here it is.

Note:You have to do this oldschool style,drag and drop the Wad and Dehacked file onto the source port.
It only works with GZdoom/Scoredoom,and it should work with Zdoom and skulltag.
I tested it on Doomsday,Risen,and Legacy but it won't work on those correctly.

http://rapidshare.de/files/40388370/Redwolf.rar.html

Works fine under Doomsday 1.9 Beta5 for me other than two occasions on the third map where you've used "S1" lines on doors instead of "D1".

But you do have a bad texture1 lump in your wad. Notably it is missing the ASHWALL4 texture that is used on every map.

Indeed, ZDoom doesn't have an issue with this because it can read multiple texture lumps of the same name while both ZDoom and Doomsday can run maps with unknown textures. But ports without one of these features will not and crash at map start up.

Anyways, the map set was pretty good. It was interesting to see Wolf Style maps using the original Wolf3D resources with some attempt to resemble actual places and also interesting to be extremely powerful and taking down the enemy left right and centre. Certainly, it looks like some effort went into the mod. It's a pity you didn't at least wrap up what you have done completely.

Namely, there were a few unclosed door frame sectors (testing the map set in something other than an OpenGL based port would have highlighted these). The final map was notably not quite finished and had an arch vile and pain elemental in it. The second map also had a locked door that wasn't set up as one so you could potentially skip part of the map.

It had an archvile and a pain elemental in it?Dammit,I did lose alot of stuff.The original file had a Medic Replacing the Archvile and a Nazi Scientist Replacing the pain elemental.
I really wanted to finish it and I still want to but just using something easier than wHackED and XWE.I do plan on Revamping this wad using Hexen format and since I have more of a knowledge of how to work doombuilder.I'd also like to use Decorate to see what I can come up with enemy and weaponry wise.
I am glad that you can see I put alot of effort into this,I've dubbed it the "relationship killer" lol

This was quite good fun but it does have the problems mentioned above. So it still needs a bit of polish I'm afraid - but it's definitely worth doing. The door, already mentioned, that was meant to be a key door, but which was just a normal door was a pretty obvious problem. I also noticed that you haven't lower unpegged your door tracks for most (all?) doors so the tracks move with the door. This doesn't look good with the texture you have chosen.

Also, I suggest putting the dehacked patch into the WAD as a lump called DEHACKED. Most modern ports will read this directly from the WAD and for those that don't (if there are any left that don't) you can still leave the deh as a separate file in the rar.

If you do revamp it using Hexen format, then the WAD will become Zdoom specific and you can certainly move the dehacked lump into the WAD then. However, if you do switch to a Zdoom specific format, I also suggest that you consider migrating your DEHACKED work to a DECORATE lump. This will allow you much greater flexibility with your custom actors and you could also define your weapons to be far more like their real-life counterparts. As it is, it's pretty obvious that they are little more than reskinned Doom weapons.

Oh, and for info, this console output from Zdoom may be useful to you.

R_Init: Init Doom refresh subsystem.
Invalid data encountered for texture Redwolf.wad:BFALL2
Invalid data encountered for texture Redwolf.wad:BFALL3
Invalid data encountered for texture Redwolf.wad:BFALL4
Unknown patch BFALL2 in texture BFALL2
Texture BFALL2 is left without any patches
Unknown patch BFALL3 in texture BFALL3
Texture BFALL3 is left without any patches
Unknown patch BFALL4 in texture BFALL4
Texture BFALL4 is left without any patches
Invalid data encountered for texture Redwolf.wad:BFE2A0
Invalid data encountered for texture Redwolf.wad:BFE2B0
Invalid data encountered for texture Redwolf.wad:BFE2C0
Invalid data encountered for texture Redwolf.wad:BFE2D0
Invalid data encountered for texture Redwolf.wad:UNTITLED
Invalid data encountered for texture Redwolf.wad:BFALL2
Invalid data encountered for texture Redwolf.wad:BFALL3
Invalid data encountered for texture Redwolf.wad:BFALL4
Invalid data encountered for texture Redwolf.wad:SNOW1
Invalid data encountered for texture Redwolf.wad:SNOW2
Invalid data encountered for texture Redwolf.wad:SNOW3
Invalid data encountered for texture Redwolf.wad:SNOW4
Invalid data encountered for texture Redwolf.wad:TEXTURE1
Unknown patch NIGHTSKY in texture NIGHTSKY
Texture NIGHTSKY is left without any patches

I actually started my own wolfenstein like project,but its far different then this.Mine has a dehacked that replaces the shotgun with a machine gun (speed is exactly like in wolf3d) and I sped up the chaingun (also like in wolf 3d) the demons run super fast and have only 1hp,So long story short I got all the wolf3d stuff.even the first 11 level's will be like in wolf 3d light level is 255 ceiling height is 64 grid is 64x64 floor is 0.and this time my textures are aligned properly (I wonder why they weren't in this game) I will be using all the other weapons and monsters and make this have lots of stuff.I even have brand new sprites for the guns that are quite nice
Since no one wanted to take it for their project,I decided to keep it for myself.

So haloless0320 your wolfenstein red star Has some competition
"Nazi Resurrection"

@Enjay:Partly I believe that's the reason I decided to release it and just start working on it after I'm done with Atherius.Restar was the first project I undertook(Besides Shelter)and I was flying blind on alot of things since I had never really sat and played with doombuilder before.So I know there was quite a few things that needed to be worked out.After I started working on atherius I saw how much easier it was to make a wad using hexen format and I decided to go ahead and put this version out.Hopefully since I have more experience now I can deliver a classic wolf3d experience with a few extra touches(Mission Objectives,newer weapons,weather effects,etc)
@Sniper:That's cool,I'd like to test it once you get a level out there.Are you gonna use wolf3d music and the whole 9 yards?How much have you gotten done?

well It's wolfenstein style with a whole bunch of custom stuff,for the title mus I want to use planet strike them (in midi) and just use songs that suit the levels.I still need to contact Laz Rojas for the textures.Other then that I can pm you a link when I get a few things done.I finished map01 map02 and map03 I still need to add the things.

Unless.You want to combine both wads together?I was hoping to go to siberia for map12 to map20then go to an island,I also just wanted to have wolf3d style levels to end at map11 (when the sky changes) I also have Good sprites (not that yours are bad)mine just feel more classic.

Sounds good.I tried getting ahold of Laz but his email is no longer valid.
I would combine Redstar with yours but I still have plans for it so I'll have to pass,don't take it the wrong way.I just have the Wad planned out.
-3 episodes
I Redstar
II Nuclear Winter
III Operation Juggernaut
-Scripted Events
Missions
Plot Twists
-Decorate Enemies,Weaponry,and Items

What's the story with your wad so far,Also what source port do you plan on using?

My wad is dehacked based so it works on all ports,but for some reason it loads the pistol sound for the shotgun instead of loading the shotgun sound when used under prboom.

My story is you have been in the prisons for awhile hitler has run off and general shirehount has taken over.your cell door miraculously became unlocked,then you escape.you soon discover that the general is planing to colasps any evidence of the complex so you have to escape the complexe,then you rendezvous with the allie's in russia but your plane has been shot down by the nazis your mission is to free the allied forces,after that you discover about an island that the nazi base is on (where they do experiments) with plutonium,mutation,technology and stuff.thats the turning point of the game where you no longer fight nazis you now fight those giant nazis in suits and zombie's you even get the sonic boom gun!

I would like to help out on the sequels though!

Woops! Sorry that I haven't noticed your release a few days earlier.
I must've been blinded since you changed the name of this whole thread.
It made me late for the party. ;)

But anyways, I've just downloaded what you released right now.
I will play it this weekend and post my opinion hopefully on Sunday night.

Some more feedback - didn't see any pain elemental frames though the ghosts that were spawned had lost soul death frames and I think they were barking! The medic morphed to a archvile when attacking or ressurecting. The rifle and sub-machinegun are aiming well to the right of the crosshairs - that took some getting used to. The green barrel could do with another couple of frames for it's explosion animation. The location of the Map06 exit and not finding a weapon to with the energy cells were minor disappointments in what was overall an entertaining wad. I look forward to the next release.

For "Nazi Resurrection" I got original with the plasma gun,unlike most wold3d mods that use a "flame thrower" I made a brand new gun,I think quake inspired me for this weapon but its a secret so I can't tell you ';^)

(sniper) 109 said:

For "Nazi Resurrection" I got original with the plasma gun,unlike most wold3d mods that use a "flame thrower" I made a brand new gun,I think quake inspired me for this weapon but its a secret so I can't tell you ';^)

So it's a lightning gun, then?

vvv Edit: I have not played Halo 3 (I got bored halfway through the first and never went back), but Google tells me that the Brute Spiker is a nailgun. Since you mentioned Quake, I figured it had to be either lightning or nail. I had a 50/50 chance of being right!

So it's a lightning gun, then?No,,,actually its more like in halo 3,I have laz's permission to use his textures,so I will post some screens when I get more done.if you played halo3 then I'm sure your familiar with "the brute spiker" well it's sorta like that.

Alright, I've finally found the spare time to load this WAD and skim through it.
Overall, I was very impressed. Most of the levels had a neat blend of both indoor and outdoor areas. The snowflake effect was the most memorable because it caught me by total surprise. ;)

The only teeny-weeny complaints that I can think of are:

1.) There was a locked door on either Map01 or Map02 which was openable without the possession of any key. An overlooked glitch.

2.) Map03 didn't have enough healing items. The dog food wasn't appetizing enough to save my skin from the machineguns.

Nonetheless, I really enjoyed this! it's been a long time since I last played a mod like this.
I'm gladly looking forward to the full finished version.
Perhaps a Christmas release is on the horizon?

Well my Nr.wad thread was sent to post hell because my picture was too big.I'm thinking of redoing one with a url to the screenshots,but I'm sure some mod will just lock it and ban me.

(sniper) 109 said:

Well my Nr.wad thread was sent to post hell because my picture was too big.I'm thinking of redoing one with a url to the screenshots,but I'm sure some mod will just lock it and ban me.

No, your thread got helled specifically because the picture was too big, nothing more. People don't like waiting forever for uber-huge pictures to load whenever they enter a thread if their machines aren't as fast as yours. You're allowed to post links to uber-huge pictures because the users have the choice whether or not to follow them, unlike before where it was loaded automatically. Contrary to popular belief, the moderators do not ban people for kicks. If you follow the forum rules, then they'll leave you be, and if you don't, it's in their job description to take action.

tl;dr version: Posting large pictures is against the forum rules. Just post a link or a smaller version of it.