Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Web-based MIDI to MP3 conversion

http://www.hamienet.com/midi2mp3

I'm not sure if a lot of people know about this or not, feel free to timeline me if it's old, but I found this neat site that will convert MIDI tracks to MP3s. Of my two computers, one plays MIDIs fairly well, and my other tends to lag when playing the instruments at the right time and instruments dont sound very good as they are anyway.

Many of the GothicDM series tracks had a sort of 'reverb' in addition to a strong increase in volume which my one computer couldn't detect, and often came out sloppy. This web-based conversion tool converts the songs generally to the sound they were intended for. I thought it was pretty sweet. I spent about an hour ripping midi's from wads and listening to how they would sound in MP3.

Sounds interesting. I'll look into it.
Are there any significant differences in the instrument sets?
EDIT: Oh wait, I think they're all merged into one.

Not bad. Some midis come out better than others, but then all the midis I've ever made sounded pretty horrible to begin with, heh.

Interesting, though I tried one with the default set and didn't really like the result. TiMidity++ (which can convert MIDI to WAV or MP3) with this sounds better, although I haven't checked with the other sets.

Their server might actually be using TiMidity for the conversion...

Yeah I saw this thing a few years ago. I only converted a few midis but this is a pretty nice tool.

Let's all start using this for our limit-removing megawads so we can boost the file size

Do any source ports recognize WAV files as music? That would make for the ultimate obese wad. :-)

GreyGhost said:

Do any source ports recognize WAV files as music? That would make for the ultimate obese wad. :-)

I think Zdoom supports wav and mp3, along with most sound formats.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Since I'm so tired, I at first thought the thread title was Web-based MP3 to MIDI conversion

You bastard

Because you were looking forward to laughing at the OP and telling him that such a thing is impossible?

Seems silly. Wouldn't it be less wasteful of bandwidth if they just made available the software they're using to make this conversion?

Richo Rosai said:

Seems silly. Wouldn't it be less wasteful of bandwidth if they just made available the software they're using to make this conversion?

Setting up a timidity++ to mp3 toolchain is probably a bit over the heads of most Windows users.

Fisk said:

Since I'm so tired, I at first thought the thread title was Web-based MP3 to MIDI conversion

You bastard

I was searching for something like that a long time ago, I did find a converter, it would analyze the MP3 and place notes where it thought the song played them, and picked the volume and pitch it read it as. However you could only do it with 1 instrument, and it did a horrible job at detecting where notes were played.

Richo Rosai said:

I think there is, but when searching for MIDI to MP3 in google, this is the first link to come up.