Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bastet Furry

Vanilia Doom 2 and "the poor mans network", when was your last time? :)

What the topic says, when was your last time playing vanilia doom (2) with one of your friends over the "poor mans network" (0-Modem)?
My round was just some hours ago, we setted up two old computers inside the Bunker (old bombshelter in Bochum opend for bands and computer clubs...) and played away.

Ah, reminders of ye good olde times! :)

Haha, for my 16th birthday in 2006, me and a buddy played through Episode 1 coop on vanilla doom, connecting using a modem. truly good times.

Well I don't remember the last time I actually used a serial cable, but I use a direct ethernet cable or wireless adhoc quite often...

the closest i did to playing vanilla doom multiplayer was with a link cable on the GBA.

I'm afraid I've never played multiplayer through anything more primitive than TCP/IP. But then again I've never LANned at all, because I've never managed to rustle up a Doom fanbase in my area.

Creaphis said:

I'm afraid I've never played multiplayer through anything more primitive than TCP/IP. But then again I've never LANned at all, because I've never managed to rustle up a Doom fanbase in my area.

You're missing out. I force a couple of my friends to play Doom over LAN every once and a while. :P

Oldest I've done is playing co-op with my dad over IPX. Those were the days. :D

Last time was mid 97, at a internet cafe where me and a bunch of friends used to meet after work and shoot the bahoomba out of each other. This lan cafe had just upgraded to 586's and Doom ran like a dream..!!

Last I tried to hook up with a serial cable, I couldn't get it to work. It wasn't Doom then though, it was Warcraft 2: BE. (you can't run it on more than one computer on Battle Net from the same IP, and I've NEVER been able to get IPX to actually work on any computer I've had)

Last I played Doom on Serial though. was probably in 1998. Not sure though.

A couple of years ago I persuaded my younger brothers to play over a serial link. Once they got playing they were addicted, literally fighting over the game. I say younger but still in thier twenties! I hadn't seen them argue like that since they were about 12.

More recently we tried again using a wireless connection but we couldn't get it to work for some reason.

Ah, it was sometime in 2001-2002 (iirc) and I played DM with Icarus and TWC over Doom 95. Was pretty fun.

purist said:

A couple of years ago I persuaded my younger brothers to play over a serial link. Once they got playing they were addicted, literally fighting over the game. I say younger but still in thier twenties! I hadn't seen them argue like that since they were about 12.

Me and my friends brothers were fighting over that too, back when we had serial cable games set up (rare occasions, made the experience oh so much more rewarding)

Ended up with my brother winning the battle when a steam-iron fell off the board and hit Markus brother in the head. Tip first. Almost hit him in the eye.

In ye olde days some friends an me gathered regulary after school at my house to play some round of Doom, Duke, C&C or WC2.
For the later two my dad even joined in... he hated 3D shooters but loved RTS games. ;)

BTW:
Any game ideas i could install on our two old Bunker-PCs

• to play over null-modem?
    I have installed:
    Doom, Duke3d, WhackyWheels and WarCraft 2.

• :
    The first one is a P2-500 with 128 MByte and the second one is a P2-266 with 64 MByte. Both have a pretty decend graphic card and an AWE64.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

The most Doom multiplayer I've ever experienced has been playing over the internet with Bashe and Bloodskull on MementoMori2 and Bashe by himself in Strife DM map02. A joke can be made about a particularly awesome kill he pulled over on me by hiding in a super secret area, making some noise, and waiting for me to come up the elevator to that room... Then he fucked me gently with the Mauler.

EarthQuake said:

Serial cable was the closest I've got.

serial cable = null modem cable

I'm not sure about a null-modem, probably sometime in 1996 or 1997.

Unless you want to count a parallel LapLink cable (null-printer cable?) using PARSETUP. I know some friends and I shared a spare period on certain days in our final year of high school and would spend an hour or so at my place where I had my 486 and my Pentium MMX wired together using a LapLink cable. That would have been 1997 and/or 1998.

My dad ran a cable with tons of extensions through the street to a guy like 10 houses away so we could play doom in the 90's. I was losing, but luckily someone either cut the cord, or an animal chewed it. It was really a dumb idea, since 10 houses cost them so much money. He was a doom addict though; got fired from his job for playing 6 hours of doom at work in an 8 hour shift.

fraggle said:

serial cable = null modem cable

Oh, silly me. *Blushes*
    "Poor mans network", "0-modem", "null modem cable"

All makes sense now. ^_^

Sometime in fall 2004. Me and a friend from school I had shown the game to played coop and deathmatch games a few times over our modems. (At the time both of us were on dialup, so it was pretty easy.)

Somewhere around the mid-90's was the last time I can remember. It was at a friend's birthday party and I think there were about 8 of us altogether playing. We DM'd on some Doom2 maps till the weee early morning hours. Dammit, that was fun as hell :D

Mechadon said:

Somewhere around the mid-90's was the last time I can remember. It was at a friend's birthday party and I think there were about 8 of us altogether playing. We DM'd on some Doom2 maps till the weee early morning hours. Dammit, that was fun as hell :D

8 people on doom2.exe with null modem?

Actually, it's possible to connect 8 computers on Null modem cables to play with Doom and Hexen in particular, that support that many players.

There's a little program on the internet called HX8, that lets you create a network from up to 8 serial connected computers using Null modem cables. Of course, you'll need like 14 serial cables to pull it off though.

Hmm, not daisy-chained like Diablo did?
    Diablo 1 could be played with 4 people just with 4 computers and 3 serial cables, all connected on some sort of daisy chain.
    id software should have thought about that when implementing sersetup :P ;)

Bastet Furry said:

Hmm, not daisy-chained like Diablo did?
    Diablo 1 could be played with 4 people just with 4 computers and 3 serial cables, all connected on some sort of daisy chain.
    id software should have thought about that when implementing sersetup :P ;)

They didn't try anything complicated when writing sersetup (remember that Doom was a groundbreaker in multiplayer gaming), but they did release the source to sersetup and ipxsetup, so it's possible to write a modified version that does what you describe.