Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cybermaarten

Can't strafe and shoot at the same time anymore

I'm a keyboard-only player (play while commuting in the train), but I have a problem that I didn't have before.

While I'm shooting continuously (holding Ctrl), I can't strafe anymore (press and hold Alt, and use arrow keys). This means when an enemy shoots at me, I have to release the Ctrl button, then hit Alt and press the arrow keys...

Causes me to die all the time... :(

Anyone have an idea what this is? Is it a Doom setting, or a keyboard thing?

Thanks!

Is it a new computer/keyboard? I know that some computers have a problem with multiple simultaneous keypresses.

Use ; and : to strafe left and right, or whatever configuration you had. I find that much more reliable than alt strafing.

I don't know about your computer and keyboard, but my keyboard cannot interpret input from that many keys being held down at the same time. I'd say your best bet is to remap your keys so they work more reliably. I map separate keys for "Strafe Left" and "Strafe Right" as opposed to holding a key to initaite strafe and then using other keys to decide which way to go, and it works for me, as I only need to hold down two keys at once to strafe and shoot instead of three.

Are you using a source port?
Is it a new/old keyboard?
Does this happen all the time or only sometimes?

I know on my other PC, it may be a the keyboard or something else, but if I hold one key, and then hold another, the first key just stops as if I had let go of it. I causes me to die some times too. I've not yet been able to fix it.

I sorta have thi problem, for me I can Alt-Right-Shift-Shoot BUT I can't do it with Left, Only can do Alt-Shift-Left. But it doesn't bug as I don't always do speed-run shooting.

Some keyboards have a limited number of keypresses that they will register at the same time. I also endorse the "individual strafe keys" solution already suggested.

Source-port: ZDoom 2.1.7
Hardware: 1-year old laptop, and at home a new keyboard. happens on both.
Used to happen only sometimes (I first thought it was related to WinAmp being on or off), now it happens all the time. Can't really say I changed something to my configuration, apart from that I've recently started using mouselook sometimes (when something is too far off for vertical auto-aim). I only app I've recently installed is iTunes. I'm removing that now, see if it helps.

The new strafe buttons are a nice idea, but it would force me to change my playing style which is quite hard to do...

If I find a solution, I'll let you know, since more people seem to be experiencing the same problem...

I had this problem a while ago. It was my keyboard.

Now, when I move, strafe and shoot, my screen turns on it's side. Sod's law.

Cybermaarten said:
The new strafe buttons are a nice idea, but it would force me to change my playing style which is quite hard to do...

You should do that anyway as you'll improve your movement. It's worth it in the long run and you might as well take advantage of the current inconvenience. Start again with E1M1 on skill 1 :p

Optimally, using the mouse to turn and do a couple of actions is even better, but I hear you're playing on the train or the like where that might not be possible.

I had the exact same problem and posted about it long ago myself. Solution was to change from arrow keys to the number key pad (some reason the arrow keys in particular suck at being pressed simultaneously with other buttons). Then again if you're on a laptop you might not have a number pad, but maybe you can get a usb keyboard.
I use a separate finger for forward/backward (most don't). Pointer, middle, ring, thumb = 4,8,6,2 respectively and recently I've started using 0 for 180 degree turns. But I use the 'hold strafe' instead of separate keys and don't have any problems as far as simultaneous keys not registering anymore.

Wow, this actually works!

Connecting a USB keyboard is hard during train drives, as well of course, but I changed my keys from arrows to L=forward, ,=left turn, .=backward and /=right turn and it works!

This should be quite a little change in playing style since I shoot and toggle strafe with my left hand.