Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
june gloom

The Dark Side Of... Doom II?

Holy crap, Icon of Sinewave is the shit. O.O I can easily see it fitting in a genuinely scary Doom 3-esque total conversion.

The good people at ID could use this for Doom 4 easily. It is fantastic. Really original ideas on old themes, and beautifully produced. Damn

Awesome! I mean just yesterday I was wishing for a 'The Dark Side Of...' Doom II treatment. I tend to like Doom2's moody music as a whole just a bit more then Doom's suspenseful/rock mix.

Though I'm a little disappointed that Mazedude was involved in 3 tracks and only 'The End of Hell (Endgame)' manages to both creep me out and entertain my ears so fully like most of his previews Doom2 ocrmixes. But still a good showing.

Cheers to Evil Horde for making 'Running from Evil' fresh and exciting (again?).

Into Sandy's City by John Revoredo and Bye Bye American Pie by phoenixdk are just fantastic as well.

They all did awesome work. Thanks!

YES! ITS OUT! Finally, been waiting on this since it first started. Yay More Mazedude, Evil Horde and just alot of people!

Its a shame though, that one of the artists wasnt informed about the "legality" of the song they were remixing, forcing them to withdraw their track :(

but anyways...

mmm...

Dark Side of Phobos was awesome in that Jesus-vs.-Chuck-Norris sense.

Macro11_1 said:

YES! ITS OUT!

You need an apostrophe.

You guys like this? I had a hard time finding the original tracks, and the original sound and oomph from the original tracks were not preserved at all. Just the notes were used vaguely. It reminds me nothing of doom and more of like an anime or something.

It's trash to be absolutely honest.

Whoah, I had no clue they were working on this. Then again I don't keep up with OCR so I guess its not surprising. :P Anwyays this is actually really good stuff... a heck of a lot better than the Dark Side of Phobos was. (which honestly I didn't like that much.) This gets a permanent spot in my playlist. :D

This was a nice surprise. Although a few of them didn't remind me enough of the tracks they're based off of, pretty much all of these were just really enjoyable to listen to anyway. I thought the MAP09 remix was an interesting take on the original, and MAP30 was insane. :D I would have liked to have seen a remix of MAP07's music, since that's one of my very favorites from Doom II, but all in all I thought this superior to Dark Side of Phobos.

Well the Doom 1 remix project sucked. The only good track that came out of that was Hangarmegeddon.

So far I've listened to the first two tracks... well the "Title screen" remix sounds nothing like the actual Doom II title screen (I was like "WTF? did they even play the game in the last 14 years?"), but the second track did sound like MAP01. Well I'm downloading the full FLAC files just because and hoping it's not as bad as their first project.

I've listened to a few of the tracks (don't really have the time to listen to the whole thing at the moment) and I can already say this is somewhat better than the original project. There's less overemphasis on generic techno. I'm sorry, I like a good techno anthem as much as anyone but there are more genres than that in the world.

Also I love the Adrian's Asleep remix.

The Running From Evil remix is abysmal, the solo is embarrassing to listen to. It sounds like bad Guitar Hero with sloppy finger tapping. Someone buy this guy a metronome and a pre-amp that doesn't come free with a box of Crackerjacks.

Not as good as The Dark Side of Phobos (to me anways), but not to bad at the sametime. I would say on a scale of 1-10, I would say 8.

dethtoll said:

I like a good techno anthem as much as anyone...

I'd say it, but it would be considered trolling/flaming...

Anyway, to show my lack of Doominess, I was unaware that there even was a "first project" of this sort. Sure, I've heard a few of the original tracks back in the day, but didn't know anything about a full album project like this one. Perhaps I should see what all the naysaying is about.

To be perfectly honest, I didn't enjoy The Dark Side of Phobos too much. Most of the tracks in that seemed a bit boring. This is a much better remix album; I'm glad to see Mazedude is in on the action this time, and I really enjoyed Evil Horde's stuff.

Westside Archvile and Red Waltz are nice. Crushing Headache is okay.

The rest is crap, especially Evil Horde's two guitar nightmares.

I think it's more solid overall than The Dark Side of Phobos. Not bad for general listening, really. After listening a few times my favorite is "The End of Hell" by Mazedude & Ailsean, although "The Countdown" by Jovette Rivera and "Red Waltz" by djpretzel are great too.

I didn't much care for the first either.

The Entryway remix was rather awesome, I didn't notice bad guitar play there. Didn't recognize the second track but the third is nice, which is... the end theme. No, end map theme.

I would've appreciated a short version of Mazedude's map23 remix, without the long sound effect parts of it.

Entryway actually could've had much better guitar play, but the composition was good.

Having listened to it more completely.... it's okay. By far better than the first project; it's got a couple shitty tracks but mostly okay tracks. Probably won't bother listening to the whole thing at once again... or maybe not at all.

JohnnyRancid said:

You guys like this? I had a hard time finding the original tracks, and the original sound and oomph from the original tracks were not preserved at all. Just the notes were used vaguely. It reminds me nothing of doom and more of like an anime or something.

It's trash to be absolutely honest.

I agree. Most of the tracks I've downloaded sound horrible.

Also, all of their mirrors seem to top out at 5-10kbs per second? The torrent is going fast though.

Planky said:
Also, all of their mirrors seem to top out at 5-10kbs per second?

I got much higher rates for the most part. Only the second mirror was relatively slow for me.

I totally hated Dark Side of Phobos with a passion. I felt the original theme and feel of the tracks weren't at all preserved in the remixes at all, except for a select few. It just sucked.

I expected more of the same with this. I was pleasantly surprised. I quite like almost this whole album. I don't know why they decided it was okay to fill map09 with stupid voice clips, since it's my favorite doom2 track, I was upset at this. Otherwise, apart from the title/intermission themes, I liked it.

Opinions so far:

• Running From Evil Horde - Would probably be okay (nothing more, nothing less) had they not butchered the crap out of the solo.
  • Adrian's Sleep - Pretty decent.
  • Westside Archvile - Takes the song in a totally different direction. It lacks the atmosphere of the original, but that's not really the point here. At least you can still see the original in there. It's decent.
  • The Countdown - Listened to it for 2 minutes and didn't hear anything that sounded even remotely like the original song, so I stopped listening.
  • Crushing Headache - It pretty much takes the original song and puts most of it in the background, adding a bunch of extra crap in the foreground.
  • Silent Healer - I can hear bits and pieces of the original song in there, but that's about it.
  • Icon of Sinwave - Not bad. Can't really think of much else to say about it.
  • 31 Seconds - There's a lot of things I like about this song, but there's also a few things I don't like about it. It would have been a lot more awesome if they didn't add those stupid sound clips throughout the song.
  • The End of Hell - Not bad. Not bad at all.
Okay, I'm done for now.

Decent, like the first one, however I learned an important lesson--

Listening to it on a bus physically makes me sick. I switched to something lighter and more my style, like SFA, and I immediately felt better.

Good for home listening, but don't listen to it on public transit.