Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Death-Destiny

Editing the Reject Map?

OK, so I'm working on a map and when I tested it, something very strange happened. A number of enemies in the map could see me and awaken from the complete opposite side of the map if they are facing east, despite there being dozens of solid walls and sections of null space between these two areas, and the fact that I didn't fire any shots. The only reason I can think of for this is that the reject map must have gotten screwed up to make Doom think that these enemies can see me from such a bizarre location. Does anyone have any tips for this scenario?

The reject is only for speedups. It can make monsters _not_ see you, but it can't make them see you from the other side of the level. Something else in your level must be screwed up.

What engine (or engine settings) does it happen on? Do they really just see you without provocation or do they merely hear you when you attack?

I'm using PrBoom with -complevel 9. I never fired a shot, so they can't be hearing me attack. Even if this was true, only the enemies facing east are awakened and there are dozens of other enemies in the same sector, none of which are deaf, and none of them can see me since they aren't facing east. I've never seen this happen before. =/

Actually, I'd check for weird sector connections (i.e. if you've got two entirely different areas that are actually part of the same sector in the map data... this could happen if you're trying to do special effects for example); because that will definitely affect how enemies can hear you, while I thought that the reject map's only effect was to flag pairs of areas as "do not see between" and still had the monsters make "can I see" checks internally for sectors that aren't rejected. I could be wrong there, though. (Actually, seems fraggle confirmed this while I was typing).

I've heard of such a scenario in respect to Doom v1.2, Heretic, and some earlier versions of ZDoom, which all had a clipping bug where monsters could occasionally see you through walls, but that's not the cause in your case. I guess you might as well just redo the affected area of the map. If you can save a copy of the current version of the level, it could be useful for spotting a bug, though.