Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ed

Unreal Style Skyboxes..

Skytest.zip

Using transparent 3d sectors in GZDoom, I found you can create sky-scapes that are a bit more pleasing to the eye than the standard single scrolling 64x64 bitmap. With higher-resolution texture maps for the backdrop, it would be delicious eye candy.

You could use transparent md2 models for this purpose too.

Not sure how eloquent the model support is, but you should be able to at least make a transparent model, then have it rotate slowly. (animate it to do this)

kristus said:

You could use transparent md2 models for this purpose too.

Not sure how eloquent the model support is, but you should be able to at least make a transparent model, then have it rotate slowly. (animate it to do this)

I do not know how well that would replicate the effect he has made (and very likely not near as simple), the transparent scrolling 3D floors are simple enough without having to craft a 3D model to make the effect.

Making a half orb 3d model, is hardly what I would call "crafting".

After watching the wad in action I see that it's a quite nice effect you've created here and not what I expected. (not sure what I expected really)

Still though. The idea I put forth with the model in the skybox could be used different ways to create similar effects.

EDIT: it reminded me of "The fisher king" btw.

this was originally done in Cheogsh2.wad, not to be a spoil-sport, but Shadowman has done this long before you have.

On another note, you might want to see this. Because Enjay is awesome.

When using these skybox tricks (once the bugs are ironed out) the big thing to keep in mind will be subtlety. These skies will be most impressive if their motion is only barely perceptible - like the slow movement of clouds in a real sky. I'm hoping I won't see any GZDoom wads now where the sky just cruises along at some disorienting speed.

Creaphis said:

I'm hoping I won't see any GZDoom wads now where the sky just cruises along at some disorienting speed.

Unfortunately, those are already very possible and exist with scrolling traditional texture skies and skyboxes too. To me it was one of the few detractors from the recently released sincity3.wad

Ah yes, I'd noticed that myself. GZDoom seems to put scrolling skies into 5th gear. I like fast scrolling skies, not that fast.. seems to bog down the fps as well.

It's all good if someone used this effect before me, I like that method used in Cheogsh2. I have a strange fixation with skies and how they affect the mood of the map in general, as they tell can tell a story on their own.

This is some cool eye-candy! It looks pretty, but it would be better if you made 3D buildings, not just a texture.