Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VileSlay

the olympics

so, does anyone care? I watched about 10 minutes of it on saturday and thats only cuz I was at my sister's house and she had it on. anyone in to it at all?

I have no interest in it at all. Does mean I don't watch as much TV and get out a bit more though.

I watched the opening ceremonies (quite spectacular), then just leave it on while on the comp since there's never anything good on (all modern TV programming is a bunch of garbage)

The only impact that it has had on me so far is that the Google logo has changed. I assume there have been lots of people running around and doing generally sporty things as usual?

I'm really looking forward to the 2012 games which are in the UK where I live. Um sorry, they are somewhere at the other end of this country and will have minimal impact on me but my taxes will still pay for them and there will be the inevitable media frenzy about "our local games". It may prove slightly more of a challenge to ignore "local" games though. Or maybe not. :)

Meh, whatever. I don't mind the games and I do like the Winter Olympics. A friend has a daughter who is a serious 2012 hopeful. So chances are I'll be a little more interested in 2012. Sitting watching sport on TV just isn't my thing though. I'd rather be out doing something (he says, tucked behind a desk, typing on a computer LOL).

I never really liked the summer Olympics. The winter Olympics, however, are always kind of interesting because of bobsledding, lugeing, and...curling. So I haven't watched any of it. My sister's best friend was in the opening ceremony, though. That's pretty cool.

Steeveeo said:

I watched the opening ceremonies (quite spectacular), then just leave it on while on the comp since there's never anything good on (all modern TV programming is a bunch of garbage)

Yeah "quite spectacular" thanks to fake enhancement of the broadcast.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/mhqlmhmhcwey/

Apparently the main singing girl was actually lipsyncing, too, because the ACTUAL singing little girl was "too ugly" to be seen.

http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/news/stories/200808/s2333326.htm?tab=asia

Pretty terrible.
Anyway I'm not so inclined to watch the Olympics, regardless of these developments. It's interesting for a little bit, but... I don't know. I prefer interactive fun, haha.

I've only watched a few minutes of it, but some of that gymnastics stuff is absolutely insane.

What? There's an Olympics on? Why didn't someone tell me??

*pause*

Oh. Probably because I was too busy not caring.

One of the reasons I don't like the Olympics all that much is primarily because of all the hype. I don't know about in the rest of the world, but here in Australia, you are bombarded hourly with "Our Heroes win gold" this and "Our noble athletes" that and "My look at how awesome we are." etc etc.. The subtext being that if you aren't a sporting God, then you should seriously consider throwing yourself off a bridge... or something.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good contest, but this hero worship thing just doesn't do it for me.

If, however, they implemented Haloless' idea about making quake 3 an Olympic sport, then I would be far more interested. Good one Haloless.

Though even then, I would still hate the hype. "Our courageous Q3A team wins gold," would run the headlines, along with the usual two second soundbytes of some chinese guys getting rocket-gibbed or railed or something, and then a quick shot of our Q3A team standing on the podium receiving their medals.

*sigh*

Kyka said:

I don't know about in the rest of the world, but here in Australia, you are bombarded hourly with "Our Heroes win gold" this and "Our noble athletes" that and "My look at how awesome we are." etc etc..

In the UK it's more "so and so is our best chance of gold this time" because we know we are shit and pin our hopes to the one not-quite-so-mediocre athlete who happens to be taking part in a sport that no one else around the globe seems interested in.

Kyka said:

The subtext being that if you aren't a sporting God, then you should seriously consider throwing yourself off a bridge... or something.

If they made suicide an Olympic sport, then only the suicide gods would be able to do that too.

Kyka said:

Don't get me wrong, I love a good contest, but this hero worship thing just doesn't do it for me.

Careful now. You might end up with an "ask me about" title. ;)

As for the "enhancement" of the opening ceremony... So what? Did anyone really think all that glitz and glamour was going out untouched? Does it ever? There is always some tweaking of something to make it look its best and, shock horror, sometimes they even cheat - even when they're not Chinese. :)

Enjay said:

In the UK it's more "so and so is our best chance of gold this time" because we know we are shit and pin our hopes to the one not-quite-so-mediocre athlete who happens to be taking part in a sport that no one else around the globe seems interested in.

Ever since "As the Archvile piggybacked yet another snap happy tourist around the techbase, it wondered once again how differently things might have turned out had the demons won the war", your sardonic humour has been a great source of rofls. Gotta admit I found your sarcasm towards Brit athletes amusing.

So lets not talk about the cricket eh?

Enjay said:

Careful now. You might end up with an "ask me about" title. ;)

Quiet, you fool!!! They might be listening... *casts slitted eyes around the room in a manner reminiscent of a 70's B-grade ninja film.* Moderators are everywhere. :P

Nick Perrin said:

Yeah "quite spectacular" thanks to fake enhancement of the broadcast.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/mhqlmhmhcwey/

Apparently the main singing girl was actually lipsyncing, too, because the ACTUAL singing little girl was "too ugly" to be seen.

http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/news/stories/200808/s2333326.htm?tab=asia

Still spectacular.

The moving blocks part made me go oshi when the little yellow people popped out of them :P

As for the sports events, I ignore everything that isn't a final that has Polish athletes in it. I'll probably watch the tennis finals as well.

Though I have to admit some of the less interesting events can still be enjoyable.

:P

Even I'm surprised by how little I care. I think I cared once, sort of.

However, I did see some synchronized diving by accident the other day (I didn't know that existed) and some of those young ladies were very pleasing to the eye.

I find it hot when people are in shape. Because it's so damn rare.

The gymnasts are hot :o

(At least, they were in 2004, I haven't seen much of the new batch.)

But no, I don't even have a TV that gets channels. Can't say I miss them either.

The thing's come up a few times on the internet, otherwise I'm oblivious.

Which is fine by me.

I don't care, but I really don't understand the hype either. That really needs to be curbed a bit.

Enjay said:

If they made suicide an Olympic sport, then only the suicide gods would be able to do that too.

If they made sarcasm an Olympic event, the UK could scoop the medals. :-)

Enjay said:

To paraphrase Eddie Izzard, "You're British, aim a little lower."

I would've posted about it here but I've been busy watching them since they began

And, as clarified by the picture of a gymnast further up in this thread, Ralphis' reason for watching the Olympics involves a penis ;)

Alicia Sacramone has a penis? Damn, where does she, I mean he, keep it in that costume? These "chicks with dicks" get more convincing all the time. Next you'll be telling me that Dame Edna is really a man called Barry! ;)

I know that Sacramone is almost 20 but she looks about 12 in that pic to me. :/

Ralphis said:

I would've posted about it here but I've been busy watching them since they began

Same. It's better than most everything else on and it's easy to just leave on in the background. And no I don't just watch the events/trials where an american athlete is participating. Somehow I think there's some closet olympics watchers/enthusiasts posting in here that are perhaps ashamed to care?

And brits be proud! You have a strong 10km women's cyclist.