Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Remilia Scarlet

Fish Food

So what sort of fish does everyone like to eat here, if at all?

I ask because recently I've decided to make a few changes to my lifestyle in an effort to lose weight and get healthy. One change I'm making is that I'm trying to eat fish more often, which I rarely did before even though the few species I did eat I enjoyed. But overall I don't know that much about which fish tastes good and which tastes...different.

I know that I love catfish and rainbow trout (except for the bones). When possible, I try to catch these fresh out of the mountain reservoirs here in Colorado. I only moderately like salmon. Any other good suggestions? Maybe some suggestions as to what to cook fish with?

Red Rock Crab is so delicious you'll wanna throw it up just so you can eat it one more time.

That is assuming you're counting shellfish, which you should be.

You throw three or four of those suckas in a pot of boiling water and serve it up fresh with butter. Might be a little hard to find em if you're not near a source, but to my knowledge Blue Crabs are the closest in flavor.

Technician said:

I can honestly say I dislike fish (spare me your homo jabs).

I can honestly say I'm indifferent to your dislike of fish. Especially since I'm the only one in my family who really likes fish.

So to answer the question, I love salmon. Swordfish is also good, if expensive. Other, non-fish seafood that I like includes crab, shrimp, lobster (also expensive), and calamari.

As far as fish food goes I prefer the pellets to the flakes, although every so often I have blood worms as a bit of a treat.

As far as actual fish, I like salmon, swordfish, and orange roughie can be pretty good. I enjoy most types of seafood though, lobster, crab, muscles, eel, octopus. The only type of seafood I really don't care for is shrimp, unless it's raw and served on rice and a seaweed wrap. Squid I've always found particularily awful as well.

Maggots! Can't get enough of them. <3

Can't stand Orange Roughie myself, just as soon eat stewed styrofoam. Salmon, Trout, Trevally and (freshly caught) Flathead go down well here. Sardines on toast are an old favourite.

I <3 Ivar's.

A couple weeks ago, I went to a pub that served English-style fish 'n chips... it was kind of weird.

I, too, dislike fish. The smell of fish makes me feel kinda queasy now. It used to make me outright feel like being sick. Not sure why, I could eat fish as a kid. So yeah no fish.

I used to eat fishsticks as a child (and, amusingly, my parents would call it chicken to trick me into eating it :P), but now I don't like any fish. I also have to take a medication that gives me fish-tasting burps, which I also hate so much. > <

I actually eat a lot of tuna. Ok Ok, admittedly, it is fairly low on the culinary scale, but it is cheap and it is still very good for you.

Other fish include flake, salmon, sardines (esp on toast as Grey Ghost pointed out.)

Calamari is really nice too.

Jack Mackrel on a Ritz cracker is also pretty good, though it causes your fingers to smell for about a week afterward.

Can't beat cod/haddock and chips drowned in salt and vinegar, but then that's not really conducive towards the health-oriented nature of the thread, heh. Slightly more healthy (but also rather more expensive) is my second favourite of smoked salmon with a bit of lemon juice.

Also those funny artificial crab stick things, which are actually made out of prawn or shrimp or something.

Definitely not a fan of sushi, though.

I used to hate all fish except tuna and smoked salmon. Couldn't stomach anything else. Then I discovered sushi, which quickly became my favorite thing to eat. After I started working at Red Lobster, though, I got a taste for some actual cooked fish dishes. They have all kinds of really interesting ones. Blackened catfish, Parmesan-encrusted tilapia, and their salmon marinated in sweet chili sauce are some of my favorites.

MikeRS said:

I <3 Ivar's.

A couple weeks ago, I went to a pub that served English-style fish 'n chips... it was kind of weird.

Holy shit, motherfucking Ivar's for the motherfucking win.

DJ_Haruko said:

I only moderately like salmon.

I personally don't really like Gravad lax nor smoked salmon. But I really love it grilled or fried. It's just delicious that way.

BlackFish said:

I used to eat fried fish but I realized they ruin my appetite somehow.

Isn't that the point of food?

I haven't tried a large variety of fish, but I enjoyed all the shellfish I have tried. I also like all the white fish (tilapia, flounder) I've had, too. Salmon is too fishy for me, and I don't like the texture. Haven't had much tuna, but I remember despising it as a child. Might have been the way it was prepared. I've also tried octopus, which wasn't bad, despite not having much of a flavor and having the texture of a tire. :p

I wouldn't mind trying more kinds of fish, particularly catfish, which is one of my mother's favorites.

I'm not picky when it comes to fish. The only types that I do not prefer are flounder (usually its bland) and baked salmon with a mustard covering (my mom makes it and I've just grown tired of it).

Everyone is mentioning all very good suggestions. I guess the one thing I can mention that I didn't see yet is sea bass. If you go to a fine italian restaurant they might have bronzino, which is a whole cooked sea bass which they prepare for you. It's not cheap but it's sure good.

Oh yeah red snapper is also a very tasty choice.

Inferno said:

I guess the one thing I can mention that I didn't see yet is sea bass.

I had this recommended to me yesterday as well. I think I definitely need to try it. The guy said that bass as a "firm" flavor.

I did forget that I have eaten octopus before and loved it. In Japan they have these things called takoyaki ("fried octopus") which are small dumpling-like things with a piece of octopus in the middle. Super tasty. Need to learn how to make them...

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

I don't like eating animals directly, and things that swim are no exception. I did try seaweed but it tasted too fishy and salty, and I've never tasted caviar or other fish eggs (roe).

kristus said:
Isn't that the point of food?

Nah, the point is to satiate it.

Prince of Darkness said:

I find freshly caught Bluegill is very nice, especially when you can smoke it.

Tilapia is also nice breaded, if possible.

Oh, Tilapia is great. That, and salmon, are my two favorite fishes. Incidentally, from what I understand, while canned tuna is nothing to write home about, fresh tuna is a real treat. Never had fresh tuna myself, but that's just what I've heard.

I'm probably one of the biggest fish freaks on the forum. Only peanut butter appears in my meals more often. Listen to my advice and tune out all else.

For the most part the fish I buy is filleted, boneless fish in frozen form. I like a variety of white fish as well as some salmon. For white, I go with the common staples like cod, tilapia, and pollock. Perch is a little more expensive but is the tastiest. I try to lean toward low salt content, but then again I go for omega 6 fat which you find in cod and salmon, the saltier kinds of fish. I basically just rotate through all these kinds.

Cooking is simple enough. The night before, take out an entire bag (which usually contains 700 to 1000 grams, enough for 4 to 6 meals) and defrost in the fridge. To cook, preheat a pan to medium or medium-high and fry for 6 to 8 minutes in olive oil and lemon juice (maybe half a lemon for several meals worth of fish). The lemony flavor is a good substitute for salt. To fill out the meal, I use rice, homemade fries (my own recipe), or noodles. I also cook frozen vegetables.

If you don't feel like cooking, there's nothing wrong with canned tuna and salmon. A lot of people say that it's too dry, and it can be, so try this recipe:

- 2 cans (240g total) of tuna and/or salmon, drained
- 3 tablespoonfuls of mayo
- 2 tablespoonfuls of relish
- 1 teaspoon of dijon mustard (or 2 teaspoons of regular mustard)
- Some pepper
- This is the important part that sets this recipe apart: 1 tablespoonful of dried lemon powder. The brand I use is called McCormick's no-salt-added citrus & pepper seasoning (image). It's important to know that you're not just adding a touch of it for flavor; it needs to be a main ingredient that becomes the driving flavor of the mixture.

Mix everything together and spread on a toasted bagel. You won't regret it. The mixture is enough for 2 to 3 meals.

exp(x) said:

I don't eat any seafood. It tastes like ass.

Then you haven't had good seafood. Seriously. Go down to Mobile Bay, AL during a Jubilee and experience ecstacy.

Csonicgo said:

Then you haven't had good seafood. Seriously. Go down to Mobile Bay, AL during a Jubilee and experience ecstacy.

Alabama and ecstasy in the same sentence means someone screwed up somewhere.