Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
RestlessRodent

Subsector Viewer?

You can just code something that takes a map and shows you the subsectors, no? It really isn't that hard.

I believe there was some Python code circulating privately on the wiki, years ago, which may or may not have ever been released to the world at large.  See here for part of the discussion.

CodeImp said:

You can just code something that takes a map and shows you the subsectors, no? It really isn't that hard.

Yeah, we can all totally do that.

Creaphis said:

Yeah, we can all totally do that.

Not if you don't know how to code, but was I talking to you? no.

Sorry that I was rude, but phrasing of your remark made it seem that the "you" was all-inclusive, or at least directed at the original poster, which made your post strikingly divorced from the reality of average coding ability.

Creaphis said:

Sorry that I was rude, but phrasing of your remark made it seem that the "you" was all-inclusive, or at least directed at the original poster, which made your post strikingly divorced from the reality of average coding ability.

It was directed at the original poster. GhostlyDeath is a programmer. Though of course there's no reason why you should have been expected to know that :P

Anyway, why do you need to see the subsectors GhostlyDeath? Subsectors ARE convex polygons, but you have to use the BSP tree to find all sides, because only the sides that lie along linedefs (the segs) are listed in the data. See http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Subsector. What you also can do is run a map through GLBSP which generates segs for all sides of the subsectors. See http://glbsp.sourceforge.net/specs.php

The current svn version of Doomsday has a subsector viewer for debug purposes.

CodeImp said:

Subsectors ARE convex polygons

Usually but NOT always (if that was guaranteed, glBSP would not exist).

The requirement for Doom node builders was that any two walls in the subsector must never occlude each other. So you can get a funny case where there is two separate areas each with a single wall, and it ends up as a single subsector because the walls are facing away from each other.

Yea I had a feeling that nodebuilders sometimes create concave subsectors in some special cases. That causes the holes in the floors in DB's 3D mode. Oh well, at least you still can use GLBSP to make convex subsectors.