Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
purist

Lose weapons

In my Doom2 mapset I want the player default to a pistol start on MAP06 using MAPINFO.

I assume I'll have to cluster maps 1 - 5 as one episode and treat MAP06 as the first map in episode 2 but I'm not sure. Can anyone help?

Just have the player die in the course of exiting map05. No need for mapinfo stuff.

What you are trying to do is exactly what Scythe2 does every 5 maps. I suggest you check it out and look at it in an editor to study how this was done in a way that would be compatible with more ports than just Zdoom. It's basically what Grazza said with the player dying prior to starting the next map.

That wouldn't be an elegant way to do it if he were making a ZDoom map in the first place...

I have a similar situation, although it isn't really required to lose weapons in my case, I've found a way around it. BTW, when I die on map 03 and start on level 04, I don't lose my weapons. And I've tried with Doomsday and Skulltag. :(

Myk is correct: we're not answering the stated question. Apologies.

Instead of using MAPINFO, for which there is no clean way to remove weapons that I'm currently aware of, why not use an ACS srcript. Here's an example similar to the one in the Wiki. When called, the "ClearInventory()" function will take away all the player's weapons, ammo, armor, and any inventory items that have been defined that aren't undroppable. This should take away their fist and pistol as well, so you will also have to call the "GiveInventory(arg1,arg2)" function 3 times to give them their fist, the pistol, and 30 bullets (the pistol apparantly starts with 20 =/).

Try this:
script 1 ENTER
{
Print(s:"OMG! All your weapons have disintigrated. :(\n");
ClearInventory();
GiveInventory("Fist", 1);
GiveInventory("Pistol", 1);
GiveInventory("Clip", 30);
}

I'm aware of the barrel/romero head tricks and such but, like myk said, my mapset is ZDoom anyway so it seems pointless using a workaround. I thought there might be a simple way to do it in a MAPINFO lump.

I've shyed away from scripts so far but I'll give yours a try, thanks D-D.