Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
newt

3D Mode - Bizarre "autopilot" bug

There's a very strange, minor bug with 3D mode, which can be produced in a delicious variety of ways (probably more ways than I have figured out).

Simply put, when the viewer is in motion, there are a number of situations in which the movement being made can go on after the key is released. When this happens, the only way to stop the camera from moving is to hit the key of the direction being made again.

To produce this bug:
1) Hold down any direction of movement (E, S, D or F)
2a.) While still holding the key, press CTRL, Alt, or Shift, OR
2b.) While still holding the key, click on a texture/flat and either change it or exit the texture browser
3.) Let go of any keys being held, and the viewer should still be moving in the same direction.

At this point, the only way to stop it is to once again hit the key originally pressed. This also applies to diagonal movements (i.e. E+F, D+S, etc.), in which case all movement keys originally pressed have to be pressed again simultaneously to stop the motion.

Very strange bug. Not a major one, though. I have actually taken advantage of it from time to time since I found out about it, heh. :P

I had this happen too. I pushed E and then pushed ctrl to change sectors lightning, and camera started to charge forward without any control.
This is not a bug, it's a feature ;).

Is it? I thought it might have been, but I checked the manual's sections on 3D mode and it isn't mentioned nor listed as one of the shortcuts...

If it is, though, I would still say that the latter method of activating it is still a bug, just because it makes no sense.

I had that issue with other applications as well (like "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" in a notepad that only stops once the a key is pressed again) so I don't think the issue is at Doom Builder's level.

Gez is correct. This isn't a Doom Builder bug, it's just something that tends to happen when you give your computer key-press and key-release signals in a funny order.

Alright, then. Now that I think about it I think I have noticed it once or twice in other programs (games specifically), although not as consistent.

But if it can't be helped, I'll go on continuing to use it when I feel the need, then. ;)