Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Use

Random Read-Only

This flag appears to set itself randomly. It's been a few months since it happened but I just had to unflag it on my entire D: drive in order to save some shit. Any input as to how this is happening? This machine uses Winxp sp2

As I understand it, thats how it should be. Everything is set to read-only and then explicit permissions (security tab) allow users to modify the files.

All of the folders/files on my machines are read only, but my account has modify rights on them.

Planky said:

As I understand it, thats how it should be. Everything is set to read-only and then explicit permissions (security tab) allow users to modify the files.

All of the folders/files on my machines are read only, but my account has modify rights on them.

Thanks, it looks like that's the case. I messed with some security entries in the registry and my main account permissions are flaky now, but I think I've repaired the entries so, it seems good for now.

I thought that read-only and permissions have nothing to do with each other. The read-only flag is a supposed to be an unenforceable safeguard against accidentally changing a file, sort of like the write tabs on 3.5" floppies or VHS tapes. It essentially says "please don't edit this file, kthx." File permissions, on the other hand, actually offer real file security.

Yeah no kidding. With VHS all you need do if the tab were removed was add tape over that area. Then you could record whatever you'd like over it.

AndrewB said:

I thought that read-only and permissions have nothing to do with each other. The read-only flag is a supposed to be an unenforceable safeguard against accidentally changing a file, sort of like the write tabs on 3.5" floppies or VHS tapes. It essentially says "please don't edit this file, kthx." File permissions, on the other hand, actually offer real file security.

You're right - they serve different purposes. The old DOS file attributes - read-only/hidden/system/archive - are still acknowledged by NT-based OS's for basic file handling operations. Permissions - on the other hand - control user-level access to files and directories, including permission to change the file attributes. They're more of a network management tool.