Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nemark

Stuck in Memento Mori II.

I'm making my way through Memento Mori II for the first time and I'm mostly having a good time. Some maps can get boring, but that's not why I posted this.

I'm stuck in a certain part of Map 25. You fall down a hole with a room right ahead of you once you land. In the left area of the room is a switch and some barons and pain elementals. To the right is this:

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/7590/doom0000tg2.png

I turn around and clear out all the monsters and hit the switch, which does this:

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/9826/doom0001py4.png

I make my way down the stairs to head for the teleporter and this happens:

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/8377/doom0002gw7.png

No biggie, I'll just head through the door. I make my way up the staircase behind the door and kill the archvile and his shotgun guy duo. In doing so, an opening appeared that seems to be high enough to run over the bars around the teleporter. I head for the opening and see this:

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/8769/doom0003pq0.png

The teleporter has risen to the ceiling. I didn't think too much of this since I thought there'd be a switch somewhere to lower it, but I didn't find any. I even found the secret in that area, but no switch to lower the teleporter. Is this how it's supposed to happen? Or was the teleporter supposed to rise to the height of the bars, not the ceiling? Any help or info is appreciated. I'm sure more than a few of you have played through Memento Mori II more than a couple times and can enlighten me on what to do. Thanks.

Indeed, the teleporter is supposed to rise up to the level of the bars. What you've encountered is a compatibility bug. The original Doom engine treated the first texture entry, "AASHITTY," as no texture. The floor-raising linedefs based on the shortest lower texture, however, ignored this, and treated it as another viable texture. When TeamTNT developed the Boom engine, they added a fix for this bug... and, in the process, broke several old WADs that required it, including Memento Mori II MAP25.

Many modern source ports provide a compatibility option to re-enable the bug so that you can progress through such a WAD as intended. In ZDoom, this is "Find shortest textures like Doom." In the Eternity Engine, this is "Use Doom's linedef trigger model." In PrBoom and PrBoom-plus, this is "Use exactly Doom's linedef trigger model."

Thanks for the info. Seems like I'm gonna have to clip out of there since I saved after the teleporter raised.

In contexts like this these "bug fixes" are bugs.

It's not clear what you're using to play, but the easiest way to avoid bugs in most pre-source-release WADs in PrBoom is to set compatibility level 2 (or 3 for The Ultimate DOOM). Otherwise you have to know what bug-fix is causing a bug.

Sorry, forgot to mention that I'm using ZDoom 2.1.7. I just clipped out of the room and went to the spot where the teleporter would have taken me. I'll remember about the compatibility menu the next time something like this comes up.

Does Eternity even have a proper compatibility option for this? All I could find in the related code is:

int lowtexnum = (demo_version == 202 || demo_version >= 331);
which looks like it's always on by default unless playing older demos (which seems a bit puzzling considering that this is the only compatibility option in ZDoom which I actually use frequently.

Is this at all related to why AV map07 and a few other map07's can't be beaten in ZDoom by default? (The 667-tagged floor rises too high.)

This is actually why I would recommend using Chocolate Doom for any and all vanilla maps.

I suppose, prboom(-plus) -complevel 2 should work as well.