Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chungy

WiiDoom 0.1 released

In the standing tradition of Doom being ported to nearly every operating system and piece of hardware in existence, a Nintendo Wii port of Doom is in an initial alpha stage, by Steve Corey, based on PrBoom. Included with WiiDoom is Freedoom, although it's compatible with everything PrBoom is as well.

Download binary and source (via Subversion) here. Note you will need a way to boot homebrew on your Wii (which will void the warranty, by the way), so here is a guide; you do not need any mod chips, just Twilight Princess and an SD card.

The Twilight Hack doesn't void your warranty. No hardware is modified when you do it, and the hack just installs the Homebrew Channel on your Wii, which you can easily remove.

caco_killer said:

The Twilight Hack doesn't void your warranty. No hardware is modified when you do it, and the hack just installs the Homebrew Channel on your Wii, which you can easily remove.

Read the warranty more carefully. It's void if you use any unlicensed software on the Wii, of which Twilight Hack and WiiDoom are; even if you used a Datel Action Replay or Freeloader in the past (which no longer work in recent updates), your warranty is void.

Though, Nintendo never seems to actually care about homebrew channel being installed on Wiis (likewise, they've never refused service for Nintendo DSes with FlashMe installed), from what reports have said about the repair center... you still should use it at your own risk. Nintendo can legally deny you service because of this being installed/used.

WiiDoom 0.1.1 is out now. With Quit support (exit back to HBC/system menu), and a new icon for HBC.

I'm just gonna go ahead and get this out of the way... Wouldn't it have been better to try and port Zdoom to the Wii... Or possibly GZdoom so that there would have been more playability with it? Just putting that thought out there.

ZDoom is much less portable, especially to non-x86 architectures (Wii is PowerPC64).

Sight......so many good things that require homebrew to work. Something thats NOT SOLD in my country, or at least not on any place i know of. I guess one day i will probably buy it over the internet someday when i feel like spending the cash, but until then......

EDIT: YUCK! Is THIS what you are talking about :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YezHKTteIsw

This looks like the SNES version of Doom in that case i thing i will pass on this one since i already got Doom and Doom 2 that came with my Doom 3 collectors edition for my Xbox 360.

Ergh, I wish I spotted this earlier - I just loaned my Wii to my parents (they love wii tenis).

Tango said:

No, he's running the SNES version of Doom. WiiDoom is based on PRboom.

I still think i am better of sticking to my Xbox version of Doom. Does the wii-doom use the wii-mote? to aim? And in that case is there freelook?

It uses the remote, yes, but you aim with the joystick... it's a pretty clumsy setup, and it just makes me wish it had keyboard support.

Hopefully future versions will allow players to look with the wiimote and move with the nunchuck, just like most commercial Wii FPSes.

NiGHTMARE said:

Hopefully future versions will allow players to look with the wiimote and move with the nunchuck, just like most commercial Wii FPSes.

Even then the setup sounds clumsy, FPS just don't fit the wii very well, besides call of duty 3, there are no good FPS on the wii that i know about.

If people like FPS, then they should buy a PS3 or a Xbox 360.

MikeRS said:

Though, Nintendo never seems to actually care ... from what reports have said about the repair center...

This is why I like Nintendo's Repair Centers. I used an unlicensed magnifier/arcade-buttons/speaker addon on my Gameboy and left it in the sun---it cracked my screen. They replaced the screen for me anyway.

hardcore_gamer said:

Even then the setup sounds clumsy, FPS just don't fit the wii very well, besides call of duty 3, there are no good FPS on the wii that i know about.

Metroid Prime 3? Also a lack of FPS games on the Wii does not mean that FPS games don't fit the Wii very well. There's basically a lack of everything right now in terms of Wii games.

hardcore_gamer said:

Sight......so many good things that require homebrew to work. Something thats NOT SOLD in my country, or at least not on any place i know of. I guess one day i will probably buy it over the internet someday when i feel like spending the cash, but until then......

Just to clarify, you don't BUY the homebrew channel. You download and install CRAZY HACKS to get the homebrew channel. Said downloads are free and available anywhere.

As for the quality of the experience of playing Doom on a Wii, I have the impression that this (and most Wii homebrew game ports) is more of a technical exercise in porting and avoiding restrictions than it is a good way to play the game. But others may feel differently.

Creaphis said:

Just to clarify, you don't BUY the homebrew channel. You download and install CRAZY HACKS to get the homebrew channel. Said downloads are free and available anywhere.

But how do i put that data on the wii? Well with some sort of cards of course! And those i just can't find in the stores:(

Remember that Iceland only has about 300.000 people living in it so the market is allot smaller here, things that you may take for granted in stores near you may not even exist in stores where i live:(

The basic logic in Icelandic stores is: If allot of people don't buy it, then it's not sold. The worst example of this is probably the original Xbox, at first it was sold in stores along with games, but since most people had a PS1, most people got them selfs a PS2 with not that many people getting them selfs a Xbox, as a result, the stores just stopped selling Xbox consoles and games COMPLETELY after few years it was released!

No store in the country that i know about sells any kind of stuff or games for the original Xbox.

The Xbox 360 did allot better though, allot people own it (including me) and the stores support it very well:) Anyways my point is that moving data from my pc to the wii probably demands some sort of card or something and that is something the stores probably don't sell.

Oh, I see. That's a problem.

I don't have a Wii myself, but I thought the SD cards they use are fairly universal. Are you sure that no stores around there sell SD cards and readers for use with, say, digital cameras?

kristus said:

@hardcore_gamer: How about you investigate your options, before you whine? You don't even know what is required to move the data from the PC to the Wii. Yet, you complain about it not being supported by the stores where you live.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_wii

I have already checked in all of the largest stores/company's if they have anything that would allow me to put data on the wii, and also my DS.

All of them said no, i mean yes perhaps there is some place somewhere that does sell these things, but i don't plan on spending hundreds of dollars worth of gas to find it.

Also, i think i will look into the digital camera thing, as i had not thought of that.

EDIT: It turns out i own a SD (Scandisk) card, its a 1GB.

I know this probably makes me look stupid after having said it can't be found. But what i said above is still almost always true, most people own cameras, so its just natural that one can find him self a SD card. But in 90% of the case, what i said above IS true, i live in Iceland and i KNOW!

Anyways thanks! Now i am going to check to see if this works.

kristus said:

If you had read that page you would know that Wii also support USB2.0 LAN, bluetooth and WIFI

USB?

EDIT: I just checked the backside of the wii, i guess you have a right to call me a moron then:(

ps. I am not a moron by the way.

kristus said:
If you had read that page you would know that Wii also support USB2.0 LAN, bluetooth and WIFI

The hack to install homebrew on the Wii requires an SD card to load the hacked savegame, though. And by extension, a means to write to the card from a computer (camera, phone, printer, standalone card reader, etc.). I think the Homebrew Channel can load software over a network, but you still need an SD card to do the initial install...

CODOR said:

The hack to install homebrew on the Wii requires an SD card to load the hacked savegame, though. And by extension, a means to write to the card from a computer (camera, phone, printer, standalone card reader, etc.). I think the Homebrew Channel can load software over a network, but you still need an SD card to do the initial install...

Ok, since thats clear then i will remove some of the stuff i said above.

NiGHTMARE said:

Headtracking would be better. (Link in the unlikely case people don't know what headtracking is yet.)

CODOR said:

I think the Homebrew Channel can load software over a network, but you still need an SD card to do the initial install...

Depends on the software. Most programs are just a single (ELF or DOL) executable, and you can load it over the network easily. However, WiiDoom requires reading files on the SD card directly, so you must use an SD card for WiiDoom.