Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrick

Action Doom 2 - Walkthrough, Secrets and Inside Jokes

Fisk said:

The outlines on certain objects was an interesting touch too. How'd you guys do that?

It looks like objects are surrounded by a black midtexture, with texture only applied to one side.

I found the chainsaw, but it was empty, and I couldn't find any gas, save for the can in the spooky house's shed. Which doesn't help me, since I need the chainsaw to get that...

Also, I'm not getting a cutscene after I get beat up by Bebop and Rocksteady. I get audio, but just a black screen accompanying it.

Edit: I figured out how to get gas in the chainsaw. Now I'm having trouble figuring out how to progress if you decide to activate the generator instead. Also, I'm not seeing cutscenes in any level except the first.

If you pause, and go to options, you can see the cinematic for some reason. But Im getting the same thing too.

to broken cutscene people:
what is vid_hw2d set to? and if it's 0 try setting it to 1.

Small little secret: in the Phylex tower level, in one of the cubicle floors, there's a corner cubicle with some cardboard boxes stacked. In this cubicle there's Milton's red stapler and the TPS report on the side (from Office Space).

Isle said:

to broken cutscene people:
what is vid_hw2d set to? and if it's 0 try setting it to 1.

Doesn't seem to be making a difference, but it's entirely possible that I'm just not doing it right...

Edit: Yeah, I'm doing it right. It's not working.

Here are some things I've found:
-Massmouth appears in a couple of spots, most notably behind the basketball court in the first map and on the bus in the bridge level.
-A "Vote 4 Pedro" shirt appears in the laundromat near the gaybar in the first level. There's also another one hanging on a clothesline near the basketball court in the same level.
-There are a couple references to John Romero: one in the men's bathroom in the subway station and a John Romero bobblehead in the .wad file that I have not seen used in a level yet.
-There's an old style NES in the hidden closet in the starting room.
-The room with the missing children posters in the spooky house has odd stuff on the posters themselves. One of the missing children is Scuba Steve himself, while another is named after the cartoon character Kim Possible. The phone # on the posters is 867-5309.

With regard to cutscenes, hardly any show up for me on linux. I compiled the svn trunk on 64-bit.

Infurnus said:

Subway/Credits music is a reference to D_E1M5

OH GOD, CAN'T UNHEAR

1st streetmap knowingly or unknowingly displays the Kabbalistic Rosy Cross on one of it's doors. It also features a black enemy named Mason which should mean nothing. It's also possible for the names to be random to a degree (pun intended), so I won't count on it. The subway level features the trademark all seeing eye atop the pyramid with the words Mason written across it. This would have no significance at all were it not for Scuba's daddy being a Freemason. Perhaps Scuba himself is somewhere in the blue degrees or beyond. I'll not state anything beyond this lest Scuba wish to elaborate upon any of it.

Conversely these things I pointed out could mean all sorts of inside gags to which I'm unacknowledged of.

One of the enemies is called "Tom", named after Tom_D who is the greatest and most valued member of the doom community

Guest DILDOMASTER666
TawmDee said:

One of the enemies is called "Tom", named after Tom_D who is the greatest and most valued member of the doom community

I just remembered something else:
-On the top floor of the Phylex building, the gargoyles on the ledges look like Red Arremer, a nasty enemy from the Ghouls 'n' Ghosts series. It is also a reference to resident gargoyle head Leilei. :p

Snarboo said:

I just remembered something else:
-On the top floor of the Phylex building, the gargoyles on the ledges look like Red Arremer, a nasty enemy from the Ghouls 'n' Ghosts series. It is also a reference to resident gargoyle head Leilei. :p

you didn't notice the "special" one?

The Romero bobblehead is an object you need to find for the ultimate contest of ultimate destiny.

I am the first to win it.

Some other interesting stuff:
-Using the condom machine in the men's restroom room reveals an "inspired" quote from an infamous thread.
-Sometimes, a female enemy will be named Rhaluka, which I believe is a reference to John Romero's mail-order bride.

This is probably one of the best wads I've played in a while. I love all the constant in-jokes and little touches. It really adds another layer when you're looking for new jokes and stuff.

Scuba Steve said:

You might never notice it... but all the enemies in the smoking room have 1/3 less health.

LOL

Why does the screen flash green while in the smoking room, anyway?

you get poisoned from the smoke... it's an effect caused by strife's poison sector... it will blink for about 10 seconds then you start taking damage.

Well, I thought DoomWorld was THE place for all Doom related exclusives... Well... I wonder what the $9,90 version has in addition to the free version ?...

Awesome shit:

-Necronomicon
-Windows Source Code
-Action Doom box
-World's largest Cubic Zirconia
-That fucking statue in the office.
-I pissed away 100,000 points in video poker.
-I pissed an additional 50,000 points on slot machines.

Scuba Steve said:

you get poisoned from the smoke... it's an effect caused by strife's poison sector... it will blink for about 10 seconds then you start taking damage.

Haha, I haven't stayed in the room long enough, then.

I just noticed the wrench has "Black Mesa" written on it. I should have noticed it before given the sounds are the exact same as those in Opposing Force. :p