Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Siggi

Microsoft you winner!

Wow. Microsoft likes its money, yes?

I think I'll rename these keys here on my laptop....

Kirby said:

I think I'll rename these keys here on my laptop....

That wouldn't make any difference, as the patent is on the concept/invention, not the names of the keys.

I'm not even surprised at this news. It's sad, there are many, many more patents just like this one getting filed all the time. The only difference here is that this one has been noticed and is getting attention from the press. The patent system as it stands (in America, particularly), is horribly, horribly broken. The simple fact is that nowadays it is impossible to write any kind of moderately sized (or larger) computer program without infringing on someone's patent.

AFAIK, pgup and pgdn scroll the window by a SCREEN, not by a document PAGE. So what's the rush anyway?

In fact, for so tiny details, and as long as there's no police nearby, I wouldn't care. I'd prefer an easy life over caring for this.

I'm not suprised that Microsoft has nearly 10k patents - it's a great way to stifle the "freedom to innovate" they claim to have been championing. Personally - I don't care - so long as it doesn't infringe on my patent "Using a stored electrical charge to represent a binary state". :P

There used to be endless patents filed on toilets... we haven't seen any decent toilet-based technological advances lately.

*awaits inevitable "WinBog" to be patentened now somebody's said that*

Yeah well, apparently Americans missed their chance to split Microsoft in two back when they voted the Bush administration, which was bought off by the company.

Given the sorry state of software patents in this day and age, I actually prefer Microsoft to hold it, rather than the post-2003 startup companies whose only goal is to accumulate ludicrous patents and sue the shit out of rich IT companies.

Zaldron said:

Given the sorry state of software patents in this day and age, I actually prefer Microsoft to hold it, rather than the post-2003 startup companies whose only goal is to accumulate ludicrous patents and sue the shit out of rich IT companies.

Or Apple.

Patent trolls are pretty interesting, actually; the phenomenon is that patent-mongers are being bitten in the ass with their own poison. They're like a virus inside a fucked up operating system.

But I wouldn't be surprised if some are just loosely conglomerated with big companies, though, as patent-war waging proxies.

Be damned if I'll pay a fee every time I count on my fingers (in binary notation)! :-)

@Myk - I'm waiting for the US Patent system to go into meltdown and hoping the web of Free Trade agreements doesn't result in the contagion being spread worldwide.

Wait, 0s and 1s have been patented for 10 years!?!? Crud. I don't even know how much I owe now with as many as I've accumulated since then.

[Edit]Darn, I posted this at 5:31 GMT, that's another 1 I'm responsible for now. I wonder if the 1s and 0s in this post count, because that'd be another 10. I'd better stop while I'm ahead, or something. =/[/Edit]

[Edit #2]

Yale University theoretical mathematics professor J. Edmund Lattimore said:

"Because all integers and natural numbers derive from one and zero, Microsoft may, by extension, lay claim to ownership of all mathematics and logic systems, including Euclidean geometry, pulleys and levers, gravity, and the basic Newtonian principles of motion, as well as the concepts of existence and nonexistence. In other words, pretty much everything."

That's why Bill is so rich, because he's so clever. He took over the world by patenting 1's and 0's. It's ingenious.

Yeah, I wonder about the U.S. patent system sometimes. =/[/Edit #2]

Think I'll break my dick off and send it to Microsoft right now for both compensation and protest to spare this inclining shit to future generations when it comes to a head.

Andrew, I'm hopping into the preverbal borax sterile bed with you.

Corporations are now not only mapping the genome but singular numeric’s/binary the line needs to be drawn somewhere. If you’re going to be fucked in the ass by these bullshit juggernauts, it might as well be you’re with own dick.

Technician said:

Corporations are now not only mapping the genome but singular numeric’s/binary the line needs to be drawn somewhere. If you’re going to be fucked in the ass by these bullshit juggernauts, it might as well be you’re with own dick.

All these major corporations control the government with their lobbyists, they will continue to have their way.

Pateting page up and down is pretty messed up. But how the heck can something like the binary system be patented? It doesent make sense!

Inferno said:

Pateting page up and down is pretty messed up.

No, patenting it is good business sense. Allowing it to be patented is pretty messed up.

Mindless Rambler said:

It appears that many people are unaware that The Onion is a fake news organization.

Well you don't need to be aware in advance or anything. The Onion is good and obvious enough satire that if someone can read an entire article and still not realize then he must be seriously dumb. Or even if you just skimmed it, in this case even the picture in the middle was enough to give it away.

Enjay said:

No, patenting it is good business sense. Allowing it to be patented is pretty messed up.

Ahh hell you know what I mean Enjay.

Oh gosh, I didn't catch that onion symbol. Whew! Thank god. I thought for a second that was real. Even so, I'm pretty sure they will patent the backspace button soon, and if they patent computers all together, I'm getting out of this crazy planet.

You know what would be worse? If Bill believed in Scientology...