Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
robo-ky

screwed up sprites

i spent meny owers creating a monster sprite replacement for the bull demon and when it was finaly finished and i went to check it out in a level, it keeps cliping inside the ground, like its on a difrent plane thain all the other sprites, even withought its dehacked work it still does it and i just cant figure out whi its dooing this i tryed evrything and am about to just throw the hole project in the trash

You need a tool like XWE or Wintex to align the sprites properly.
Take a look into the monster sprites of one of of the IWads for reference!

This little picture that I made some time ago may help explain what is going on. Your sprites are probably aligned like the imp on the left. As Vader said, you need to use a program, such as XWE, to change that. A good guide as to how the sprites should be aligned is x=half the width of the sprite y=slightly less (usually about 4 pixels) than the height of the graphic.

It is worth being aware of the "slightly less than full height" thing. Normal software ports can render stuff lower than the floor. So, with a monster, having its toes slightly below floor level allows it to look a bit more like it has its feet flat on the ground. However, openGL ports cannot render sprites into the floor (or the ceiling - you may have noticed revenants and archies getting their heads chopped off in low corridors because their sprites are quite a bit taller than the actors themselves are). Some openGL ports (eg GZDoom does it as an option) will move the sprite upwards to avoid the feet being clipped off by the floor. Because of this limitation, and the fact that I mainly use openGL ports nowadays, I usually align my sprites in the y direction by the full height of the sprite.

I don't know how well it shows it, but this pic of a lamp on a pedestal shows that the bottom of the sprite is below floor level.

And, for good measure, here is an archvile with it's head rendered into the ceiling in software mode and clipped in opengl

The archvile actor is only 56 units tall but his sprite is around 75. IIRC, the room is 64 units tall so the archie can move around just fine, but it looks odd in openGL.

i shall find this XWE program, it looks like that was my exact problem i hope that this will solve it thanx alot guys

my sprite was like this

as aposed to this

so i should be abell to fix it if i just move it to the center like this caco?

robo-ky said:

so i should be abell to fix it if i just move it to the center like this caco?

Yup.