Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quasar

Heretic and Hexen Sources Re-released Under the GPL

Wow, I had to do a double-take when I saw this headline. I read this and thought I was seeing things, like "that's impossible, are you serious?", and had to reread it to be sure it was true.

EPIC WIN!!! :D

So this means that Odamex could get some of the missing ZDoom features it lost in order to be GPL, notably Heretic and Hexen support?

Also, I'm thinking: "Next step: Shadowcaster"...

Well done Quasar. I'd totally given up on this :) Thanks to Caryn 'Hellchick' Law for trying to get somewhere with this years ago, but big props to James for getting it done in the end!

Tireless effort paid off! It's what I tell my students: Keep nagging and nagging and nagging and you'll eventually get what you want... from your parents.

The only thing I'm thinking is, what do I have to live for now...?

Now those closed source ports with hexen code in them can open their source and say that the hexen parts are taken from the GPL version (and coded in in 1 day) instead of the old EULA version.

Not that I would forget the truth, but maybe they can fool a few :P

Time to start a Free Data project(s)! I've been doing replacement stuff for Heretic the other day but they're guns :(

Oh yes, I remember this mission. Good job to those involved, and thanks Raven Software for being awesome.

We're on the front page of reddit btw, right now.

This is great news :)

hardcore_gamer said:

Bah! I like Doom allot better!

Good thing Doom is already under the GPL then.

Awesome stuff, it'll be interesting to see how it effects the GPL port scene.

CodeImp said:

Now those closed source ports with hexen code in them can open their source and say that the hexen parts are taken from the GPL version (and coded in in 1 day) instead of the old EULA version.

Your assumption is faulty in that you assume that the authors of closed source ports actually have any desire in the first place to go GPL.

It will be interesting to see what happens to Skulltag when GZDoom finally goes GPL. Being based on an outdated of ZDoom never hurt ZDaemon's userbase, but it certainly didn't help it, and Skulltag's growth certainly outclasses ZDaemon's growth over the past year or so. All it would take is a new multiplayer source port based on later revisions of GZDoom (or even incorporating it into the port itself) and now the shoe is on the other foot.

This may sound funny, but the source could be used to have Chocolate-Doom be able to replicate the behavior of Doom 1.2

Wow some good news right there. Thanks to Raven and the people who communicated with them over the years. I honestly didn't think it was in the future for those games. A fun fact/mention in the Cacowards, I'd say.

AlexMax said:

It will be interesting to see what happens to Skulltag when GZDoom finally goes GPL.

Assuming it does. The sound code needs to be re-written before this can happen because fmod is not gpl compatible.

leileilol said:

This may sound funny, but the source could be used to have Chocolate-Doom be able to replicate the behavior of Doom 1.2

How so? Are one of those source releases (presumably Heretic) forked from Doom 1.2?

AlexMax said:

It will be interesting to see what happens to Skulltag when GZDoom finally goes GPL.

Unless ZDoom follows it wouldn't amount to much. Of course they'd be cut off from any changes I'd make that don't go into ZDoom but that wouldn't be much.

All it would take is a new multiplayer source port based on later revisions of GZDoom (or even incorporating it into the port itself) and now the shoe is on the other foot.

Yes, such a development could definitely become a problem for them, especially if it would feature better netcode than Skulltag.