Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esselfortium

For Every Action, A Re-Action!

After four years of development in an underground bunker removed from society, Scuba Steve and the Action Team have released the followup to one of 2004's top wads, Action Doom. Action Doom 2: Urban Brawl is a prequel that tells the story before the events of the first game. Instead of being based on run 'n' gun games, the game patterns itself after 16-bit beat 'em ups. The standalone game, which can be played without Doom 2, features stylized, cell-shaded graphics and cutscenes and a full narrative story with several paths and a half dozen endings.

Thanks to the efforts of Scuba Steve, Isle, Cyb, Manc, Ralphis and Darknation, Action Doom 2: Urban Brawl is available at http://action.mancubus.net/ for download or purchase. What are you waiting for, it's time for Action!

To get the full experience, you need to wear Action Pants, available now at Scuba Steve's homepage...

I waited until the community weighed in and offered suggestions (good ones). The final version is available and Orders will begin shipping this week.

Once again very nice!

No there is no real cel shading, the outlines are in the sprites and in the map done with middle textures. It doesn't work flawless, but it looks cool and adds to the feel of the style. If you would have used GZDoom you could have done it with a shader though, saves you a lot of time mapping those borders :P

Wow, there seems to be a wave of nostalgia among us Doomers. First, Action Doom, with its homage to Contra/Metal Slug-style games, then Z-Hunter for Doom 3, paying homage to the old bird's-eye view style of gameplay, and now Action Doom 2, with what I assume to be more in the style of games like Final Fight and Streets of Rage (I just downloaded it and haven't actually played it yet).

Post-play comments to follow.

Texas Libra said:

Wow, there seems to be a wave of nostalgia among us Doomers.

How uncommon for a doomer to be nostalgic about things.

kristus said:

How uncommon for a doomer to be nostalgic about things.

OK then smartass, let me rephrase that.

There seems to be a wave of nostalgia for older gaming styles from back in the late 80s, before games like Doom were even thought of.

BTW, just finished playing it, and granted I played it on the lowest difficulty just to get a feel for it, I still thought the ending was anti-climatic. Perhaps I'll see more "action" when I start playing it on high difficulty.

Texas Libra said:

the ending

Not the ending, an ending. There are many and some are very downbeat. Which ending you get depends on decisions made during the game.

Mordeth said:

Any place for walkthrough tips/hints? Stuck again as usual.

kill everything

This forum needs more action! AD2 is extremely well done, and just shows how professional Scuba is. 5/5

Alright, I'm stuck. I can't seem to figure out what to do on the abandoned house level, been trying for almost an hour.

EDIT: Nevermind, just figured it out.

Action Doom 2 is the single best, greatest game GOD ever gave man on the face of the Earth. - Bank

All i can say is, wickedly awesome! It took me a while to get "best" ending and figuring out in first place but it was worth the while though

PS. Ralphis did a nice job at the credits music

Texas Libra said:

Wow, there seems to be a wave of nostalgia among us Doomers. First, Action Doom, with its homage to Contra/Metal Slug-style games, then Z-Hunter for Doom 3, paying homage to the old bird's-eye view style of gameplay, and now Action Doom 2, with what I assume to be more in the style of games like Final Fight and Streets of Rage

Rumour has it that Action Doom 3 will be a wire-frame 3D game loosely based on Stellar 7.

I prefer AD1 because CONTRA-NESS. Not saying that this is bad though, I love it. It just doesn't feel like a sequel to AD1 other than a few (one?) flashback/foward of AD1.