Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I was SO looking forward to this game, i had been waiting for it for like one and a half year or something.

I just bought the game yesterday and i am already sick of it. The game is all about the editors but when it come's the the gameplay it self then it's just a simple and repetitive game that won't hold anybody for to long.

Am i the only one that feels this way? Or are there some people here that agree with me?

leileilol said:

it's not created in mind for people with crap for attention spans.

Have you played the game? I have spent over 9-10 hours with it, and i am already at the space stage. The editors are really cool, but thats not my point. My point is that when you are NOT using the editors, the game falls flat and is not that much fun to play.

The cell stage was a cool beginning, but after that the game just goes downwards. The creature stage was fun for like 20-30 min, but then it's just gets boring since i found my self doing the same thing over and over with no change what so ever. The tribal and civ stage was a joke. And the space stage does not look like allot of fun either.

Heh, I'm a big fan of sims and such, and I think this game looks boring, so I'm not surprised by these reviews.

The biggest problem I have is simply based upon the resulting gameplay; once you have made the thing and you watch it evolve, what do you do then? Do you have abilities or control over the fate of them (chernobryl-ing power plants, toxic poisons release, goatse)or do you just watch (like here)?

To me, too much of the former, and not enough of the latter.

Danarchy said:

Heh, I'm a big fan of sims and such, and I think this game looks boring, so I'm not surprised by these reviews.

WTF!? My God, the Sims is boring - my impression of the game was that it was like Sims with something to do. I found the amount of control you have in the Sims addicting, but eventually the tedium of doing chores all the time just ruined it for me. Spore, though, is different - granted, the gameplay doesn't have much depth, but the creativity aspect is there in full force, and the "annihilating alien civilizations" factor is definitely more enjoyable than doing chores.

geekmarine said:

WTF!? My God, the Sims is boring - my impression of the game was that it was like Sims with something to do.

My impression is that Danarchy was talking about Sims in general, not The Sims.

I was kinda psyched to play this after messing around with the free version of the creature creator but now I'm not too sure. Looks like I won't bother..... :/

At least Simcity was fun and had some replayability. Though once you could start building arcos, you knew it was time to just make a new city.

Hey Doom_Dude, haven't see you for a while.

I enjoyed the Creature creator, but I'm not going to shell out 109 NZ$ for the full game. All the previews/hype hasn't impressed me enough.

hardcore_gamer said:

I was SO looking forward to this game, i had been waiting for it for like one and a half year or something.

I just bought the game yesterday and i am already sick of it. The game is all about the editors but when it come's the the gameplay it self then it's just a simple and repetitive game that won't hold anybody for to long.

Am i the only one that feels this way? Or are there some people here that agree with me?

Perhaps you should do a AVGN style review explaining how bad the game really is and even better, post it as a video response to one of the videos from Spore's official youtube account just to show the game developers how much they fucked up to have them ponder about it.

Hi Planky. Haven't seen you for awhile. ;)

Right now I'm thinking I can get the full version of the creature creator for $8 and have as much fun with that.

I want to be able to do stuff like tweak the sound my critter makes so that when somebody encounters my creature, it's making some annoying whooping noises. ;) I want to make a spider race that can spin catapult webs so they launch themselves into people's cities and villages.

Doom Dude said:

My impression is that Danarchy was talking about Sims in general, not The Sims.

Exactly. Though I was kind of including The Sims in that category. It was fun until I realised I was wasting too much time pretending to have a life in a game than actually having a life.

Glad I didn't buy this. I've seen a lot of cool monsters on youtube but honestly, whats the point if you can't do much in game with them? Such a shame.

Doom Dude said:

I want to make a spider race that can spin catapult webs so they launch themselves into people's cities and villages.

You can't do any of that, in fact once you enter the civ stage you can't even control you creatures all together. All you can do is creating buildings and simple army or economy vehicles. And once in the space stage you can't even do that anymore! In the space stage all of your planets just run them self's and the only thing you can do is creating more city's or buildings in the city's. And that's not very fun since there are only 3 type of buildings to build.

Also, going to war with other aliens is not as fun you would think do to how easy it is to defeat them. To take over a planet, you must destroy the city's on that planet, and to do that you can simply just make a few runs at them with your space ship and drop a few bombs each time. That way, it takes about 2-3 min to take over a whole planet.

And only about 10 sec if you use the super weapon that you "start with" that creates a shock wave that destroys all the city's on a planet.

And you don't even have to find or buy that super weapon. You just own it from the start and it just has the recharge over time before using it. That means that powerful planets can be defeated just by pressing a button. Now doesn't that just sound like SOOOO much fun!

I wonder if EA pressured them to take out a lot of content in order to guarantee sales of the expansions packs. They've publically stated that they want Spore to become a "brand" like The Sims - in other words, port the game to every computing device known to man and make 1000 expansion packs.

Danarchy said:

Exactly. Though I was kind of including The Sims in that category. It was fun until I realised I was wasting too much time pretending to have a life in a game than actually having a life.

I had fun building the house I was building using the money cheats repeatedly. But once I had tired of that, there was little to interest me in that game. (Though I also did the one where you get the sim to take a swim in the pool and then remove the ladder so they end up drowning.) I had a lot of fun with Sim City back when it was new though... Transport Tycoon was cool too, but I wasn't very good at English then, so I were constantly uncertain of which building went where, and made many mistakes that way. Sim City 2000 excited me a lot for the sake of the landscape editor. I built stuff like a big rock ridge and a deep moat and a prison in the middle of that. Then I made a tunnel through the mountain to the other side. cause I thought tunnels were really cool... still do :p

Spore interested me at first. Sounded like a grand plan. But as the years went on and they showed more of it. I kept loosing interest and about a few months ago I had lost all excitement over ever trying the game at all.

david_a said:

I wonder if EA pressured them to take out a lot of content in order to guarantee sales of the expansions packs. They've publically stated that they want Spore to become a "brand" like The Sims - in other words, port the game to every computing device known to man and make 1000 expansion packs.

If that's the case then EA can suck my balls, but i ain't sure that expansion packs could make the game more fun, it's the core game that i don't like. If they fix that, then "perhaps" i "may" consider giving spore another shot.

hardcore_gamer said:

If they fix that, then "perhaps" i "may" consider giving spore another shot.

Which I doubt it since games (and the developers/ and possibly the bourgeoisie CEOs running the show) these days care about the graphics, animation, advanced features but not the gameplay.

kristus said:

I had fun building the house I was building using the money cheats repeatedly. But once I had tired of that, there was little to interest me in that game. (Though I also did the one where you get the sim to take a swim in the pool and then remove the ladder so they end up drowning.)

Yeah, building houses was fun, but the rest of the game was making the whiny bitches go to work without pissing themselves and crying. Seriously, is it THAT hard to roll out of bed, put on some clothes and work? Of course, the poor bastards never got weekends. Must have been a feudal society.

Personally, I liked making a huge house, putting 8 people in it, making sure they had a cushy amount of spending money, then just watching chaos ensue. It's even better with the first expansion pack (the only one I got) which has crazy shit like the genie, grim reaper, science lab, and the like.

I had a lot of fun with Sim City back when it was new though... Transport Tycoon was cool too, but I wasn't very good at English then, so I were constantly uncertain of which building went where, and made many mistakes that way. Sim City 2000 excited me a lot for the sake of the landscape editor. I built stuff like a big rock ridge and a deep moat and a prison in the middle of that. Then I made a tunnel through the mountain to the other side. cause I thought tunnels were really cool... still do :p

Yeah, Sim City was great. I remember when I first figured out how to "win" without cheating. Those were good times. 3000 was fun, but insanely easy (probably because I had mastered 2k and it's basically the same thing with better graphics and more fun stuff to play with). Sim City 4 with the expansion pack has everything I'd want in a Sim City game. Namely ferries FINALLY. I can actually make a recreation of the San Juan Islands now. That and the whole dynamic connected cities within a region thing. Unfortunately, it's a LOT harder than the older ones. City building is a bit different. If you use the old methods, you don't get the best results. It's best to separate the industrial from the residential and commercial into two different cities that are next to each other. That's just the beginning of it really.

Spore interested me at first. Sounded like a grand plan. But as the years went on and they showed more of it. I kept loosing interest and about a few months ago I had lost all excitement over ever trying the game at all.

All I can add is "ditto".

If the internet is to be believed, if the boredom doesn't kill Spore for you, the DRM will. Seriously, they somehow managed to make a DRM scheme more draconion than Bioshock's.

I wouldn't mind trying out the creature creator at least, but I doubt my computer could handle even that. :/

It's an acronym for "Digital Rights Management". It's basically a fancier way of saying antipirating measures. It can be anything from a standard CD-key to a fully featured software program that installs quietly on your computer along with the game. Starforce is a notorious example of this.

In the case of Spore, EA went with Securom's latest security software, which limits the total install tickets for Spore to 3. Yes that's right, you can only install the game 3 times on any "unique" system. Even something as minor as upgrading your system takes up an install ticket. Once you run out, I'm not sure if you can renew a ticket or if you just have to buy the game all over again.

The installer and game must have access to the internet in order to verify that you have a legitimate version of the game. It does so every week, if I remember correctly. This is how the ticket system is managed.

Bioshock used a very similar system, which caused a minor uproar. It also didn't work properly out of the box. It was supposed to renew an install ticket upon uninstalling the game from your system, but half the time it didn't, meaning that many people couldn't reinstall or play the game again after using up the original 3 tickets. This was a game, I might add, that cost $60 upon release for all systems and was singleplayer only, of which only the PC version had this limit. Naturally you can see why many people are upset by this.

However, in the case of Spore, it was cracked and released to torrent sites a full week ahead of launch, meaning that all the DRM software managed to do was be a nuisance for casual gamers. While the crack disables Spore's connection to the internet, which also disables automatic downloading of new creatures and other content, it's just as easy to add new content manually.

Snarboo said:

Bioshock used a very similar system, which caused a minor uproar.

minor uproar? The word SecuROM is virtually synonymous with Bioshocks DRM PR disaster.

Snarboo said:

It's an acronym for "Digital Rights Management". It's basically a fancier way of saying antipirating measures. It can be anything from a standard CD-key to a fully featured software program that installs quietly on your computer along with the game. Starforce is a notorious example of this.

In the case of Spore, EA went with Securom's latest security software, which limits the total install tickets for Spore to 3. Yes that's right, you can only install the game 3 times on any "unique" system. Even something as minor as upgrading your system takes up an install ticket. Once you run out, I'm not sure if you can renew a ticket or if you just have to buy the game all over again.

The installer and game must have access to the internet in order to verify that you have a legitimate version of the game. It does so every week, if I remember correctly. This is how the ticket system is managed.

Bioshock used a very similar system, which caused a minor uproar. It also didn't work properly out of the box. It was supposed to renew an install ticket upon uninstalling the game from your system, but half the time it didn't, meaning that many people couldn't reinstall or play the game again after using up the original 3 tickets. This was a game, I might add, that cost $60 upon release for all systems and was singleplayer only, of which only the PC version had this limit. Naturally you can see why many people are upset by this.

However, in the case of Spore, it was cracked and released to torrent sites a full week ahead of launch, meaning that all the DRM software managed to do was be a nuisance for casual gamers. While the crack disables Spore's connection to the internet, which also disables automatic downloading of new creatures and other content, it's just as easy to add new content manually.

I also suspect that the security software is just another way to rip us off in order for corporations like EA to stack even more cash into their deep pockets as we continuously have to buy the same game over & over again after using up the installing limit. Fucking greedy capitalist bastards.

As soon as I got out the water the gameplay became stale. Simon says for getting allies? Repetitive button smashing for fighting? Jesus I thought they said this part was supposed to be like diablo! I'm on the Tribal stage now hoping it will pick up. I hate RTS games though :(

Cutman said:

I'm on the Tribal stage now hoping it will pick up.

Nope, it's still just button smashing. Assuming your going to get the other tribes to ally with you that is. And it's allot more easy to do so. Just give your creatures some music tools and have them sing for the other tribes. And yes it is really not any harder then that.

I should try making a Demon or Baron of Hell or Chaos Serpent, in spore. You know, just to see if it would work out and what would happen.

The results may be...interesting...