Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nightmare Doom

Making a Custom game using Ken Silverman's Build engine...possible?

Nightmare Doom said:

I wonder if it's possible to make a completely new game made from scratch using Ken Silverman's build engine?

This is a silly question. Ever heard of a Total Conversion?

yeah its possible... the build engine is outdated, i might suggest using eDuke32... Ken Silverman's voxlap engine might be worth a look as well

Nightmare Doom said:

I wonder if it's possible to make a completely new game made from scratch using Ken Silverman's build engine?

WELL YEAH DUH how do you think those build games are made! They didn't even have access to the build source, only .obj files

How about hacking Slige into the Build engine in order to create random games?
I already have a name for the new engine - Bilge. ;-)

Janitor said:

yeah its possible... the build engine is outdated, i might suggest using Duke3D

Duke3d is using the Build engine..

Ajapted said:

1 texture and 0 monsters is not my idea of a "playable" game.

there's more than that

monsters is a goal for a future version unless a bunch of monster dummy sprites were to be cobbled up. deathmatch functionality is focused first.

i meant that eDuke32 is based on Duke3D, and it has better windows support... and yes, i know that the its based on the Build engine

I'm actually talking about creating a new build game that is not a Total Conversion mod since their still using that game's (Duke) format. I'm actually talking about creating a new format sort of like how Monolith created Blood from the build source code from scratch with new physics and other stuff that is not possible in EDuke.

To answer your question, yes, it is completely possible to create an entire custom game from the Build engine. In fact, the source was released years ago. Obviously you would have to do everything yourself, from programming in new functions, map formats and features to creating new content such as textures, monsters and so on. It's no easy task, but it can be done.

I don't believe so. While the Build engine is interesting in a retro sort of way, most indie game designers would rather design their own engine, use a proprietary game design tool or use a more modern engine such as idTech 3, which has been released under the GPL for a while now. There's really no advantage to using Build outside of nostalgia. It also obviously isn't as popular as Doom and its derivatives, as evidenced by this very fansite. :p

Is Build even as well documented as the Doom engine in terms of features and bugs, not including the map editor?

I'm not sure how to say this politely, but I don't think anybody has ever been fucked enough in the head to remake DOOM in the Build engine.

Snarboo said:

Wasn't there a mod for Duke 3D based on Doom, anyway?

There was. I don't think I played it very far but I distinctly remember the rather bizarre "Imps give me gas" DukeTalk from it.

Snarboo said:

Wasn't there a mod for Duke 3D based on Doom, anyway?

Considering all the Duke3d in Doom mods there been. I would guess there were several.

There was actually a program that converted Doom levels into Build levels. In fact, I'm pretty sure it came with DN3D.